(SUW) Greatest Mainstream American Rock Band

Which Is the Greatest Mainstream American Rock Band of All Time?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is the Greatest Mainstream American Rock Band of All Time?

• Aerosmith
    • Metallica
    • Nirvana
    • Van Halen
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • The Eagles

Styx

58912[/snapback]

I just pray...in the name of all that is good and just and true........-that you are just joking...PLEASE tell us you are joking!!!!!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am listening to some Jeff Buckley right now (the Live at Sin-E deluxe edition)...  What a talent.  The mainstream didn't and never will know what it missed.

59558[/snapback]

Yep...Buckley was the man...My buddy just gave me the "Live In Chicago" DVD...It's fantastic, as is just about everything JB did...

I cried the day he died. It was the greatest loss of a talent we'll ever see because 1st off it was an accident (and not even a "self-inflicted" one ala Layne Staley, Shannon Hoon, Andrew Wood), and 2nd he had really only begun...

And on a not-so-serious point, I only got a limited amount of material in which to seduce Women with when JB passed on... :D

The saddest thing is that you can still pay to see some of these bands. 10 years ago? Maybe.

Aerosmith- Just because they are still alive and performing doesn't give them a free pass. They still sell CD's because of their crappy video ballads and Liv's lips.

Metallica- possibly America's greatest metal band. Where would they be without KISS?

Van Halen- VHI, VHII and Standing Hampton were great records. 2 words. Yankee Rose.

Nirvana- arguably the best grunge band but a very small collection. Personally, I prefer Pearl Jam.

Skynyrd- beats Allman's by a nose in southern rock genre.

If "mainstream" is what you want the Eagles are it.

In England, the equivalent choices would be:

Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, The Who, Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin and the Beatles.

What about the Beach Boys? Pearl Jam? White Stripes? Doors? One could make a strong argument that the greatest American band is the Beach Boys. They contributed just as much to music as my beloved Beatles. They were the first band to sample. Noone did 4 part harmonys as well- they are damn near impossible. They were innovators. Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever and they finally released Smile two weeks ago and that is incredible too. Besides is their anything that epitimizes America anymore then surfing and California girls?

We cant compare with England with rock and roll. Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, bands like Coldplay today. Man that is tough to beat. Americas greatest contribution to music IMO is blues and jazz. Noone touches Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Billy Holiday, Charlie Parker, Louie Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, Bennie Goodman, Duke Ellington, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Robert Johnson, Gil Evans, Dexter Gordon, Muddy Waters, BB King, Elmore James, Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi, etc. Noone can touch that lineup!

From your list,I voted for Aerosmith. They would be followed by:

- Def Leppard (not on your list,but mine)

- The Eagles

- Van Halen

- Metallica

59886[/snapback]

DL's from England...I LOVE old DL...Wasted is such a killer Rock Song... B)

What about the Beach Boys?  Pearl Jam?  White Stripes?  Doors?  One could make a strong argument that the greatest American band is the Beach Boys.  They contributed just as much to music as my beloved Beatles.  They were the first band to sample.    Noone did 4 part harmonys as well- they are damn near impossible.  They were innovators.  Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever and they finally released Smile two weeks ago and that is incredible too.  Besides is their anything that epitimizes America anymore then surfing and California girls?

59824[/snapback]

Never much of a BB's Fan, though I realize their influence on Pop Rock... But I'm a HUGE Fan of The Doors! Morrison was my 1st R&R Idol, the minute I saw JM I knew I wanted to Sing in a Rock Band....Back in the days when I was sure I would Live fast and Die young.... :rolleyes:

Good thing I wised up... :)

DL's from England...I LOVE old DL...Wasted is such a killer Rock Song... B)

59891[/snapback]

I wasnt thinking of that when I posted this. :rolleyes: Nonetheless,they are one of the greatest and that is a good song. 'Photograph' and 'Too Late' are awesome,too. B)

What about the Beach Boys?  Pearl Jam?  White Stripes?  Doors?  One could make a strong argument that the greatest American band is the Beach Boys.  They contributed just as much to music as my beloved Beatles.  They were the first band to sample.    Noone did 4 part harmonys as well- they are damn near impossible.  They were innovators.  Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever and they finally released Smile two weeks ago and that is incredible too.  Besides is their anything that epitimizes America anymore then surfing and California girls?

59824[/snapback]

You mention Pearl Jam too...You know, they are probably the single biggest disappointment as a Band in my opinion. I was a real big Mother Love Bone Fan, and Temple Of The Dog is my all time favorite CD. Then of coarse when Ten came out I thought this is the next great Seattle Band (after AIC and Soundgarden of coarse :rolleyes: ). Then that damn Vedder got more influential, and they got their collective noses so far up Neil Young's ass...in my opinion they never came back. I think they are a joke now, and I can't imagine why the heck Matt Cameron is wasting his time with them. I mean Cameron is a Drummer Neil Peart says he admires, and now he's backing up "Vedder's Liberal Agenda." That's my name for Pearl Jam (VLA for short).

I don't know if you saw them on Letterman the other night, but they played a Song from that Michael Moore movie...you know the one...Anyway, regardless of your political leanings, I really don't think it's proper to advocate killing the President of the USA in a Song, and that's exactly what Vedder is saying. He also makes some other rediculous statements in the Lyrics...I just about puked when I heard it. And lastly, those two great guitarists (Gossard and McCready), and freaking Vedder is the only one on the Stage with an electric guitar. the Song was not bad, but the sight of Vedder makes me want to projectile vomit. Which sucks because I thought they had such great potential, MLB was one of the all time great Bands if you ask me...What a waste...Just my opinion though... B)

I wasnt thinking of that when I posted this.  :rolleyes:  Nonetheless,they are one of the greatest and that is a good song. 'Photograph' and 'Too Late' are awesome,too.  B)

59895[/snapback]

'Women' is my favorite DL Song..."I give you..." B)

too many twists in the question ....

how do you define "Mainstream"? how do you define a "band"? For exemple are Nirvana or Metallica really Mainstream? And as a big Boss fan i have to say that Springsteen has only done his best albums with the E Street Band so does that make it a "band"? Anyway looking at all your posts i was wondering: why the english and irish best rock performers are always coming in bands (Outside David Bowie and Joe Cocker i don't find any big solo ones) while most of the best american performers are solo acts (from Hendrix, to Dylan, to Buckley to Bruce to N Young etc....)?

Would any of the work of Neil Diamond be considered "mainstream" or for that matter, would he be considered a band since he has a singular name but always had a collection of bands and orchestras playing with him?

Bases on the choices, I would have to say Van Halen only because they actually produced some quality work until 1984. They were very mainstream but still hit into the heavy metal areas too.

My personal choice though, not from the list, would probably be The Band or even Grand Funk. Both were great in their time and sometimes get overlooked for their contribution to American music history because of the era in which they were famous. The sixties and early seventies band don't get the recognition because many people thought that they groups of that era were too politically motivated.

I also have to say that the Beach Boys were a large part of what American mainstream music is today. Without some of their work, I don't think that "American" music would have been able to keep up with what was being produced in England. Just my opinion.

Objectively it is Aerosmith by a mile.

Objectively??? You're joking, right? Music, by its very nature, is SUBJECTIVE. It's amazing that people call others morons for not liking what they like. Just because Ed likes BNL does not make them better than the Eagles or any other band. There's no right or wrong answer and certainly no way to quantify this poll. Live and let live...

I wasnt thinking of that when I posted this.  :rolleyes:  Nonetheless,they are one of the greatest and that is a good song. 'Photograph' and 'Too Late' are awesome,too.  B)

59895[/snapback]

The High and Dry album kicked major ass too. Photograph brought them into the spotlight and really gave them the popularity they later had.