(SUW) Greatest Mainstream American Rock Band

Which Is the Greatest Mainstream American Rock Band of All Time?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is the Greatest Mainstream American Rock Band of All Time?

• Aerosmith
    • Metallica
    • Nirvana
    • Van Halen
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • The Eagles

If the poll asked greatest NORTH American rock band then you are right,  Rush all the way.

59391[/snapback]

They did tape one of the German shows. Geddy says that they did it for a historical archive of the R30 tour, but here's hope that we'll get another DVD!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Butthole Surfers

59162[/snapback]

Oh dear God, yes! Thank you. I thought I was the only one.

On a semi-related note: I'm surprised no one has mentioned Grand Funk. At their peak, they were bigger than everybody. Just ask Paul Leary. Or Homer Simpson... ("The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner. The bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher. The competent drumming of Don Brewer.")

There's an awesome chapter on The Butholes in "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991" by Michael Azerrad.  Really entertaining read.  If you're into the early indie rock/hardcore scene stuff, this book is a pretty good read.  So is Legs McNeil's book "Please Kill me."  Great stuff in that one, too, about the NYC scene.

59191[/snapback]

Wow! I read both of these books. Both are great, especially "Please Kill Me."

Yup! The greatest band in the history of music. You should actually LISTEN to their lyrics. Absolutely brilliant.

59379[/snapback]

I have been a fan of the ladies since the early days, but I wouldn't categorize thier lyrics as brilliant. Witty at times might be a more apt description.

There's an awesome chapter on The Butholes in "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991" by Michael Azerrad.  Really entertaining read.  If you're into the early indie rock/hardcore scene stuff, this book is a pretty good read.  So is Legs McNeil's book "Please Kill me."  Great stuff in that one, too, about the NYC scene.

59191[/snapback]

Great books, both. Mission of Burma chapter is great.

This is a loaded question. Nirvana were great precisely because they were not what mainstream rock was about. So they're #1 on your list to me, but the question ain't right.

Van Halen was alright, Van Hagar makes me want to burn things. I've had a long day and I hate the !@#$ing Eagles. If every Metallica song was as good as "Enter Sandman" they might be the winner. I've got more beef with Skynyrd listeners than the band itself, but they have inspired too many rock cliches to win this one. Aerosmith has tarnished any repuation it had. And you forgot to add Seven Mary Three and Hootie and the Blowfish to this list :D

Gotta say I'll take R.E.M., Nirvana, Television, the Replacements, Creedence and the Ramones over the rest of these clowns.

Yup! The greatest band in the history of music. You should actually LISTEN to their lyrics. Absolutely brilliant.

59379[/snapback]

Huh?

chickety-chinese chicken?

I know some people love those guys, I just can't listen to anything that "quirky," and that goes for Moxy Fruvous, They Might Be Giants, etc. Canada has so much better to offer i.e. Neil Young!

59379[/snapback]

Ed, I absolutly LOVE the BNL... but to even classify them with the other greats listed here is a bit rediculous.

And yes, I have LISTENED to their lyrics... the have NOTHING on REM for depth of lyrical genious.