Nick Mangold would look pretty good

Max997

Shhh.. stop speaking logically.

The Bills sign free agent re-treads for their offensvie line. Spending first day picks on the line is a no-no after Mike Williams.

he is playing well and looking like an excellent pick for the Jets, would have been nice if the Bills would have moved up to select him

816884[/snapback]

Myself I was hoping for Mathias Kiwanuka or McCargo, we got McCargo so I was happy. Yeah it sucks McCargo got hurt and Mangold is playing well, but so is everyone else on the jets. Their wr's are play makers and great after the catch. Pennington makes the rookies on the line look a lot better, with his quick decision making.

I definitely thought it would be an OL, possibly Winston Justice.

816980[/snapback]

I cant say the McCargo pick surprised me, because there were pre-draft rumblings about us being high on mccargo. But when we traded up, i thought (or maybe it was hoped) that the pick was going to justice or mangold.

Most successful teams generally start with defense over offense, because well the learning curve for defense is generally shorter then that for offensive players, making it a more viable strategy to build your defense first. That's why it didn't suprise me we chose McCargo over Mangold or any other ol there. I know the ol is horrible, but It's not going out on a limb that the dl just may infact be worse off, or at least just as bad as the ol.

Marv & Dick's plan appears to have been to rebuild the defense first. Unfortunately, the D is not coming together as hoped, so the offensive line weaknesses are being magnified.

A few more good drafts are the only solution at this point.

Marv & Dick's plan appears to have been to rebuild the defense first.  Unfortunately, the D is not coming together as hoped, so the offensive line weaknesses are being magnified. 

817033[/snapback]

The D will step it up. Watch them improve toward the end of the season. It'll take a bit more than 7 games for the rooks (and the vets) to acclimate to the new defense.

817033[/snapback]

Whether 2006 was a good draft is still very much in question. We knew Whitner would be good (you would hope so, a top 10 safety), we knew Ko Simpson would be good (well, he's struggling a bit now, but he'll come around, I think)... the question marks were McCargo and Youboty. McCargo especially needs to come through as a first rounder. Kyle Williams has been a surprise but McCargo needs to be a difference maker and/or the backend of the draft (Pennington/Merz) have to surprise greatly for 2006 to be a good draft. Remember, this was a deep, talented draft with the Bills having a high pick in each round, and 10 overall to begin with. To only get 2 good safeties out of this draft would be a funking disaster.

Whether 2006 was a good draft is still very much in question.  We knew Whitner would be good (you would hope so, a top 10 safety), we knew Ko Simpson would be good (well, he's struggling a bit now, but he'll come around, I think)... the question marks were McCargo and Youboty.  McCargo especially needs to come through as a first rounder.  Kyle Williams has been a surprise but McCargo needs to be a difference maker and/or the backend of the draft (Pennington/Merz) have to surprise greatly for 2006 to be a good draft.  Remember, this was a deep, talented draft with the Bills having a high pick in each round, and 10 overall to begin with.  To only get 2 good safeties out of this draft would be a funking disaster.

817051[/snapback]

I still like Youboty based on his play at OSU, hope we get to see him on the field soon. Zero expectations for McCargo to date though... so, if 4 of the top 5 picks pan out, I'll be happy... just not the positions I would've looked to fill (other than Williams). Anything from the two OL players will be a bonus.

Or how about if we shelled out top dollar for Steve Hutchinson, moved down and drafted Mangold and then took Marcus McNeill with our next pick.

The oline would look something like:

Peters - Hutchinson - Mangold - Villarial/Gandy - McNeill

But thank God we shored up our secondary first...

I think picking centres early makes about as much sense as picking safeties early.

817844[/snapback]

Picking a stud center at the very end of the 1st round makes alot of sense actually when the biggest weakness on your team for the past decade has been the offensive line.