Willis' speed

Hurls

Willis claims he's back to where he was with "The U". So why was he caught on the long run by a guy with hamstring problems? Whe he got free, I said to a friend, "Gone". But yet here comes the DB. I know he's strong, but I thought he should(could) have outrun that guy.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Because shredding a knee isnt going to cause one to lose ANY speed. Willis wont ever be back at the same speed he had at miami. but he's still a damn good back.

815314[/snapback]

Bingo. Ramius & I probably both saw enough of Willis at "Duh U" to know that pre-knee implosion, Willis was indeed much faster than he is now. Again, that should go without saying - his speed won't get competely back to where it was before, but he has gotten a lot of the burst back and definitely looks faster than last year. .

He probably wasn't expecting to make a break like that and was too shocked to turn on the afterburners.

815367[/snapback]

LOL, wasn't used to seeing daylight. I agree about the injury though. but he claims to be at the same as he was, which clearly isn't the case. I still like him, just thought he would've scored there.

Brilliant! Immediately following that play, I remember thinking... can't wait to see the posts about Willis' lack of speed and how he should be cut because he can't break the long run. It took longer than I expected, but its nice to know some things remain constant.

Pissing on the one bright spot we have on offense is absurd.

Willis claims he's back to where he was with "The U".  So why was he caught on the long run by a guy with hamstring problems?  Whe he got free, I said to a friend, "Gone".  But yet here comes the DB.  I know he's strong, but I thought he should(could) have outrun that guy.

815297[/snapback]

It's nice for a RB to have good speed in the field, but better to have a player who hits a hole hard and follows blocks. I'd much rather have a fellow who does that, than a speed burner who moves the sticks with infrequency. Speed means little if you can't find your way out of the LOS melee...

Im definitely not a Willis fan. However I really can't fault him for much so far this season. I think his play has been acceptable. No, he's no LT or even Larry Johnson but he is servicable. His speed doesnt seem to be perfect acceleration is good enough to have an effective run game. I think with a half decent OLine and an effective pass attack he would be good enough.

Willis is definately not back to the speed he was in college, but dont let the media confuse you ... any RB would have gotten dragged down before the endzone on that particular play. The DB (and I think safety?) were a heck of a lot closer than anyone seems to want to remember. He burned past about 5 players and then past the secondary, but their was still a few DB's just a half yard away or so.