What do we need to address in the draft?

There are obviously quite a few needs for this team. But if we have a top 5-10 pick(which at this pace looks possible)what position is the biggest need? Calvin Johnson seems like the sexiest pick to me. Him and Lee would tear secondaries apart. But then there is guys like Joe Thomas, the big o-linmen from Wisconsin, who obviously isn't the flashiest player but is a boulder on the line and who would really help bolster it.

Thoughts?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The saddest thing about Thomas is that he was projected to be a top 10-15 pick last year...until he blew out his knee playing DLine in the bowl game. He could have been right in our wheelhouse LAST draft.

On the bright side of things, we do have an undersized safety and an unproven DT to show for our two first round picks.

There are obviously quite a few needs for this team. But if we have a top 5-10 pick(which at this pace looks possible)what position is the biggest need? Calvin Johnson seems like the sexiest pick to me. Him and Lee would tear secondaries apart. But then there is guys like Joe Thomas, the big o-linmen from Wisconsin, who obviously isn't the flashiest player but is a boulder on the line and who would really help bolster it.

Thoughts?

814726[/snapback]

Yes. Calvin Johnson/Joe Thomas. I'd select either of those. If by some chance they are both gone, I'd go with Quinn or Troy Smith.

I'd prefer Johnson/Thomas.

Now, if we select Thomas, I'm all for picking Brian Leonard from Rutgers with our 2nd pick. This dude is a monster (picture Mike Alstott plus the elusiveness shiftiness of Tiki Barber). He might project as a FB because of his size, but trust me, this dude can run, catch, and BLOCK. He may even go in the first round.

This team has so many holes at so many positions they can pretty much take the best available player in the 1st round. That being said they need to address the OL with a few day one picks. This, obviously, is all dependent on what the team does in FA.

This team has so many holes at so many positions they can pretty much take the best available player in the 1st round. 

814738[/snapback]

Please don't give Marv any ideas. Were gonna end up with "he was the best athelete available" corner, safety or punky wr again.

I'd pick the best player available, excluding defensive backs, WRs, or RBs. Especially RBs. My preference would be a QB first, a LT second, some other OL position third, and a defensive front seven player fourth.

But I'd be willing to make an exception to all of this if I thought a specific player had a much better chance of greatness than the other choices. If the next Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders is on the board, you take him.

Gaines Adams- de clemson

Quentin Moses-de georgia

Joe Thomas- ot wisconsin

Sam Baker-ot usc

Marcus Thomas- dt florida

Alan Branch- dt michigan

Patrick Willis- ilb ole miss

Buster Davis- ilb FSU

I would be happy with any of these guys. Left off qb for now. If we do go qb then troy smith would be my choice there,

LINEMEN, big, corn fed, Midwest LINEMEN... with heart unlike our former #1 draft pick, now a former Bill.

814987[/snapback]

I miss Ben Sobieski too. Big heart (really probably too unhealthily big).

And I hope the Bills pick late enough that a linebacker doesn't seem like a reach.