Our rookie safeties

Peter

It is difficult to tell on television, but it appears that our rookie safeties are not doing a particularly good job helping the corners.

I would be interested in the thoughts of others -- especially those that were at the game.

I also was disappointed that Ko did not make a play on the ball in the endzone. The receiver outworked him and scored the TD.

The safeties seem to be doing a good job if they have primary coverage. Where they are struggling is when coverage rolls to them or they have to support a deep double. About what you expect from a rookie who isn't instinctive. They are thinking and reacting. But they are showing some good things as well. However, it makes Clements and Mcgee look bad because of this.

yeah 6 games into their pro career and they are not yet world class!!!! what the hell is up with that????? just bustin on ya

It is difficult to tell on television, but it appears that our rookie safeties are not doing a particularly good job helping the corners. 

I would be interested in the thoughts of others -- especially those that were at the game.

I also was disappointed that Ko did not make a play on the ball in the endzone.  The receiver outworked him and scored the TD.

814259[/snapback]

I also was disappointed that Ko did not make a play on the ball in the endzone.  The receiver outworked him and scored the TD.

814259[/snapback]

I questioned the Cover 2 before the season started. No DL push, no standout cover MLB. Putting rookie safeties into what is essentially a zone coverage scheme is not a good idea.

Edited by stuckincincy

yeah 6 games into their pro career and they are not yet world class!!!!  what the hell is up with that?????  just bustin on ya

814265[/snapback]

I know they are rookies. I am becoming painfully aware of that.

As another poster said, I have the feeling that their inexperience is making Clements and McGee look bad at times.

I know they are rookies.  I am becoming painfully aware of that.

As another poster said, I have the feeling that their inexperience is making Clements and McGee look bad at times.

814305[/snapback]

Of course. The scheme is not amenable to the current blend of experience and individual abilities.

The footbal biz drips with ego - they are not unique there these days - and it is showing.

Has Ashton Youboty got any playing time yet ?

814270[/snapback]

He rang me up when I bought a fitted hat from the Bills Store at Eastview Mall. I think that since he hasn't been playing they made him assistant manager.

The safeties seem to be doing a good job if they have primary coverage.  Where they are struggling is when coverage rolls to them or they have to support a deep double.  About what you expect from a rookie who isn't instinctive.  They are thinking and reacting.  But they are showing some good things as well.  However, it makes Clements and Mcgee look bad because of this.

814264[/snapback]

Agreed, particularly on Ko. That being said Simpson is about as consistently late getting over as Vincent was last year and (hopefully) he'll get better whereas Vincent was only going to regress.

I haven't seen Whitner often do anything wrong, so from that, I'll conclude that he's doing at least a competent job. He does make the occasional good play, too.

I FREQUENTLY see Simpson late arriving in coverage. I don't know what %age one can reasonably expect him to be in on those plays, but since his %age of being 'almost there' is so high, I'd be inclined to assume that's he's lacking. Also, a few times he appears to have primary coverage he has been beaten.

To conclude, I'm happy w/ Whitners performance, but Simpson leaves something to be desired. IMO at this juncture he's inferior to TV, but I'm hopeful that by years end, he'll be at least that good w/ hopes of improving further.

im not sure if its the safties being rookies or the fact that McGee bites on EVERY double move put on him.

814451[/snapback]

McGee was a gifted college safety, who played a so-so season at cb because of team injuries. Go dig out his scouting reports.

He was a top name in kr returns in college. The Bills draft him, don't use him his rookie year in the KR role, then decide he's to be a cb.

Odd.

hey, im still a fan of McGee.  but i think sometimes it looks like the safties are getting there late but theyre actually doing an ok job picking up on blown coverage.

814529[/snapback]

McGee wasn't even in Erie County on that TD that Chaz Jackson caught.

The safeties seem to be doing a good job if they have primary coverage.  Where they are struggling is when coverage rolls to them or they have to support a deep double.  About what you expect from a rookie who isn't instinctive.  They are thinking and reacting.  But they are showing some good things as well.  However, it makes Clements and Mcgee look bad because of this.

814264[/snapback]

Bingo Bingo Bingo I couldn't agree more.

I've been at all the home games this year and what you state is exactly what is happening.

Whenever Clements or McGee let the receiver drift past (when in zone) the safeties seem to hesitate for a second or two before picking up the receiver. This 1-2 seconds is what is appearing to "burn" the CB's.

I won't exactly worship our corners either. They're the best we've got but Nate needs serious tackling help (looked good vs. NE though) and McGee absolutely gets owned on double moves or jukes.

The safeties will look great next year though I think.

I agree that the young safety play is hurting our corners but I'm glad we are getting that out of the way NOW. Also, I want to keep Nate(just not as the highest paid CB) and think it's time to see what Youboty can do after the bye. I'd let him compete at the #2 spot and if he can do it, McGee can move to where he belongs, Nickle Corner.