Bills that should stay or go this offseason

Who do you think will be gone? I don't know the entire list of our FA's after this season. But I know the following:

Mike Gandy (Gone)

Chris Kelsay (Gone, Hargrove trade is insurance and Bills won't pay big for him)

Nate Clements (Gone)

London Fletcher (Should stay for a season or two, but bank shouldn't be broken)

Rian Lindell (Dear god resign him! Reliable kicker's are hard to come by. Ask Parcells)

Other than them, I believe Chris Villarial will retire. Daimon Shelton and Tim Anderson will be among other "big names" cut.

Then there's the WR/TE's. God knows what's going on there. The only people who are safe in my opinion are Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Sam Aiken, and Andre' Davis (the latter two for their ST's play).

Price and Reed are both not cutting it in my opinion and I believe another WR will be brought in next season to better compliment Evans. I'd bet at best only one of the two will be kept (most likely Reed for his blocking ability).

Royal will most likely stay and Everett might stay on. But if Royal isn't #2, there will be another TE who will be playing almost as much. I think a REAL TE should be brought in. So to review, we'll need the following:

Starting LT and RG - If I had to guess, i'd say that Jason Peters will be moved to LT and Brad Butler will take over RT. My hope is that Buffalo can sign UFA Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack to play RG.

Starting WR - With Evans quickly becoming a smart veteran WR, I don't know that it's neccessary to sign a veteran to step in. But there's no denying that extra firepower is neccessary. I'd expect a Day 1 pick to be placed between Evans and Parrish.

TE - Two FA's. Daniel Graham, Eric Johnson. Sign one. Dammit!

Starting FB - Generally, getting a solid blocking FB doesn't break the bank. But if there's a stud in the later rounds of the draft, that could be the way to go as well.

Starting CB - The past couple weeks have made me question whether or not McGee is ready to take over the #1 spot. Due to unfortunate family circumstances, Youboty won't be ready to be anything better than the #2. I think with an inexperienced almost rookie in Youboty and McGee being thrusted into unfamiliar territory as well, it wouldn't be wise to draft a CB to throw into the mix. Asante Samuel would be an ideal FA to throw into the mix in my opinion.

DT - I'm not sure what to do here. After drafting two DT's this year and signing Tripplett, it's a tough pill to swallow that we still need help at DT. With Williams and McCargo being young, i'd say go for a veteran in FA. Unfortunately, as far as I can see there really isn't anyone on the market i'd consider an upgrade. Perhaps there will be a stud DT come draft time that will change my mind.

Thoughts?

Wait? So is it who we WANT to be cut/stay or what we THINK will happen? If its what I want:

Nate Clements re-signs (even though everyone cant stand him)

Damion Shelton cut (sorry man)

Andre Davis cut

Sign a couple big players who want to fit the role that Fletcher had on special teams a year ago

Agreed re-sign Lindell ... he has been pretty solid

Find/trade for a good veteran or upcoming CB

Find/Draft a good FB (one that can catch also)

Nate Clements- stay. I never thought mcgee was going to be anything more than a nickle back, and I especially don't want to see him as a #1 corner in 07. please re-sign nate. If we don't re-sign him then yeah asante samuel would be a good option.

London Fletcher- gone. We're thin at lb I know, but fletch is on the wrong side of 30 and in a defense that emphasizes speed, I cant see bringing back a guy who's only going to decline. Going lb in the 1st wouldn't be a bad route.

daimon shelton- gone

rian lindell- stay

sam aiken- can we cut him already please?

Andre Davis- stay. He's a good st's player, and does bring speed as a #4 or #5 wr, something Sam Aiken doesn't.

Mike Gandy- Re-sign. I know this probably won't happen, but maybe a switch to guard which is his more natural position would be best served. If nothing else would be great depth. I doubt any team would seriously look at him as a starting lt unless they're desperate.

Chris Kelsay- Gone. I only hope we can finally bring in a real pass rusher.

Tiny Tim Anderson- gone. Unless he shows major improvement the rest of the season. Dissapointment. Too bad I thought he'd be a good player. I liked him in college.

you know i could sit here and analyze and research who is available, but to be completely honest with you, I now have faith that the people making the decisions will make ones that fit our team, and get who we need and not who we dont...so while i may question what they do in the offseason, I know that whatever Marv is doing, he has a big picture unfolding in his brilliant mind, and I am going to sit patiently and see it unfold

Nate Clements- stay. I never thought mcgee was going to be anything more than a nickle back, and I especially don't want to see him as a #1 corner in 07. please re-sign nate. If we don't re-sign him then yeah asante samuel would be a good option.

I think there are other CB's just as good that will come cheaper. The past couple season's have proven that Clements is highly overrated and overpaid. Now if he happens to get out of this funk and prove he's worth the money at the end of the season then fine. But as it stands right now he should definitely take a hike.

London Fletcher- gone.  We're thin at lb I know, but fletch is on the wrong side of 30 and in a defense that emphasizes speed, I cant see bringing back a guy who's only going to decline. Going lb in the 1st wouldn't be a bad route.

He may be getting up there and age, but he's still one of the top tacklers we have (at this point, one of the few). While it wouldn't be wise to sign him long-term or spend a lot of money on him, it would be stupid to not try and bring him back.

sam aiken- can we cut him already please?

Are you joking? He's perhaps our #1 ST's player! 'has been for the past couple seasons. What more would you expect from a WR whose 6th on the depth chart?

Mike Gandy- Re-sign.  I know this probably won't happen, but maybe a switch to guard which is his more natural position would be best served. If nothing else would be great depth.  I doubt  any team would seriously look at him as a starting lt unless they're desperate.

No. Plain and simple. Unless he's willing to play for league minimum and can prove that he can play inside and doesn't mind being a backup if neccessary. No.

I think there are other CB's just as good that will come cheaper. The past couple season's have proven that Clements is highly overrated and overpaid. Now if he happens to get out of this funk and prove he's worth the money at the end of the season then fine. But as it stands right now he should definitely take a hike.

811096[/snapback]

Which other CBs do you have in mind. Following is the list of CBs that are going to be FA in 2007 with Clements listed at the top. Asante Samuel will probably re-sign with the patriots.

Nate Clements, UFA, Buffalo Bills

Clements should be the top target of teams looking for help in the secondary. He’s young, highly regarded, and very talented. Buffalo would like nothing more than to have him signed to an extension as quickly as possible, but his talent—he does have two Pro Bowl selections—may lead him to test the market. Without an extension, the Bills must decide if they are willing to franchise tag Clements once again to guarantee his presence on the gridiron for one more season. Since Clements has not been adversely affected by NFL officiating changes, most NFL teams will pursue the cornerback if he hits the market.

Other Free Agent Cornerbacks

Roc Alexander, RFA, Denver Broncos

Jordan Babineaux, RFA, Seattle Seahawks

Jason David, RFA, Indianapolis Colts

Randall Gay, RFA, New England Patriots

Nick Harper, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

David Macklin, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots

The Bills COULD gamble this year on Will Peterson, CB, who played for the NY Giants. He is planning a comeback and can be "had" in free agency soon! This way, you can take a look at this guy who is a former 1st rounder, and assess the CB position as to whether or NOT the Buffalo Bills keep or let go of Nate Clements. i'd also get Ashton Youboty playing time in the seasons second half, especially if the Bills seem to be heading for a sub-.500 record.

I think the Bills will continue to draft defense. Depending on the draft order I think they will go for the best speed linebacker. I don't think they will resign NC but with alot of cap room they will be very active and look to add at least two starters to the offensive line. Gandy is gone.

Why does everyone see Kelsay leaving? While he isnt the second coming of Bruce Smith and will never be a probowl DE ... he has been improving and would probably be an inexpensive depth.

That depends Berman. Kelsay is a DE and sometimes even average ones will get offered an outrageous contract. I'd keep him as long as it's a deal very similar to the deal Denny got. Also, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Peterson Bflojohn, I agree. We have to explore all options because the positions we need the most are very weak this coming offseason(interior Oline, DT, and CB). All the other free agent CB's besides Nasty Nate are #2's at best. Sorry, McGee isn't anything more than a great nickle so hopefully Youboty can be a viable #2 someday soon. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Gandy tried at guard either but we'll probably not get to see it. Then for TE, as long as we are not able or willing to incorporate them it would be a waste to get a Johnson or Graham at TE.

Gandy Should stay theyre not paying him big money and depth is really important to have on the o line. I dont want to see him start but he would be a pretty good #2, Same with Kelsay, I agree fletcher should stay. Clements is a tuff call, I would rather have them overpay someone in the trenches unless Clements will resign for alot less which Im sure he wont, Hopefully we can get a quality replacement as I like Mcgee as a #2 corner, but him as a #one scares me, Ill let Marv and DJ decide this as they know more about Ashton then we do

Gandy=Gone, he can't block my legless grandma.

Clements= Gone, the Bills will really miss him, though.

Fletcher= Stay, the guy is a stud, and he should end up on the Bills wall of Fame.

Kelsay= Gone, Hargrove will be his replacement.

Tim Anderson= Gone, he blows

Lindell= Stay, he has been incredible this year.

Aiken= Stay, he is arguably this team's #1 special teamer.

Shelton= Gone, all he can do is block.

Davis= Gone, he has done nothing here.

Mike Gandy (Gone)

Chris Kelsay (Gone, Hargrove trade is insurance and Bills won't pay big for him)

Nate Clements (Gone)

London Fletcher (Should stay for a season or two, but bank shouldn't be broken)

Rian Lindell (Dear god resign him! Reliable kicker's are hard to come by. Ask Parcells)

Thoughts?

810745[/snapback]

I agree. But what about Qb? :blink:

QB Holcomb = Gone. Replaced by 2nd day QB or UDFA

RB Williams = Gone. Replaced by younger less expensive backup RB

FB Shelton = Gone

WR Aiken = Gone

WR Davis = Gone

WR Price = borderline

TE Everett = Gone. Shame, he had so much potential before that knee injury

TE Neufield = Gone. But then again i've been saying that for years ;)

G Villariel = Gone

T Gandy = Gone :blink:

K Lindell = Stays

P Mooreman = Stays :lol:

DE Kelsay = Gone

DE Denney = Stays (backup/rotation)

DT Anderson = Gone

LB Haggan = Gone. Cap casualty. Sure he's paid the minimum, but that price goes up with each year of experience. Replaced by less expensive 2nd day LB

LB Fletcher = Gone :(

LB Spikes = border line. :( if he shows he's recovered he stays, if he's lost too much i don't think marv will have any problem cutting him to save cap space

CB Clements = Gone

CB Thomas = Stays (backup)

S Wire = Gone

S Bowen = Stays

QB Holcomb = Gone.  Replaced by 2nd day QB or UDFA

RB Williams = Gone.  Replaced by younger less expensive backup RB

FB Shelton = Gone

WR Aiken = Gone

WR Davis = Gone

WR Price = borderline

TE Everett = Gone.  Shame, he had so much potential before that knee injury

TE Neufield = Gone.  But then again i've been saying that for years ;)

G Villariel = Gone

T Gandy = Gone :blink:

K Lindell = Stays

P Mooreman = Stays :lol:

DE Kelsay = Gone

DE Denney = Stays (backup/rotation)

DT Anderson = Gone

LB Haggan = Gone.  Cap casualty.  Sure he's paid the minimum, but that price goes up with each year of experience.  Replaced by less expensive 2nd day LB

LB Fletcher = Gone :(

LB Spikes = border line. :(  if he shows he's recovered he stays, if he's lost too much i don't think marv will have any problem cutting him to save cap space

CB Clements = Gone

CB Thomas = Stays (backup)

S Wire = Gone

S Bowen = Stays

811995[/snapback]

Now, whos left?