Start another QB

tron35

Like everyone else, I'm just so sick of hearing about how bad the Oline is....we need to just fix the damn thing once and for all...enough of this crap!

805618[/snapback]

Maybe it's time to look at the Oline coach.....I know he has a great rep and all but damn, this guy hasn't put together a group that can block for the pee wee team. How can teams like say denver, always have small OL, but always seem to play well??

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So cut the entire team then, they ain getting it done.

Lets compare QB performances today:

Losman        21/34, 207 Yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 FUM

E.Manning    17/30, 180 Yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 1 FUM

One quarterback beats 3-1 Atlanta 27-14, the other quarterback loses 20-17 to 0-5 Detroit.

So what's the difference? As it turns out, and this is apparently surprising to a lot of you, when the rest of the team plays like crap, an average quarterbacking performance is going to look like crap as well. When the rest of the team plays alright, an average quarterbacking performance looks pretty good.

805763[/snapback]

Well said... :(

Maybe it's time to look at the Oline coach.....I know he has a great rep and all but damn, this guy hasn't put together a group that can block for the pee wee team. How can teams like say denver, always have small OL, but always seem to play well??

805817[/snapback]

And oddly enough, that same Oline coach that did wonders in Denver is now here in Atlanta....and Atlanta is running roughshod over the rest of the league. So you may have a point there.

Since you didn't watch that game, I'll tell you about how I felt Losman played.  I'll do my best to be unbiased . . .

Yeah, but JP was a TD draft pick....lol

805817[/snapback]

I've heard enough about McNally for the rest of my life.

Buffalo has not had a good O-line in 6 years.

Try something new.

Losman 21/34, 207 Yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 FUM

E.Manning 17/30, 180 Yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 1 FUM

One quarterback beats 3-1 Atlanta 27-14, the other quarterback loses 20-17 to 0-5 Detroit.

So what's the difference? As it turns out, and this is apparently surprising to a lot of you, when the rest of the team plays like crap, an average quarterbacking performance is going to look like crap as well. When the rest of the team plays alright, an average quarterbacking performance looks pretty good.

Well said... :(

805852[/snapback]

Eli won though.

Eli won though.

806211[/snapback]

Actually the Giants won which was exactly the point of the first post you quoted.

People keep getting pissed off at the QB play because they want a QB that can make up for the deficiencies of the entire team. The problem with that is there are only a few of those guys per generation. It's easier to improve the entire team than it is to get lucky and find one of those all time great QBs. Instead of dumping our QB every 2-3 years it would be nice if the front office would get off their asses and improve the OL.

Losman was bad yesterday, even when he had time but if the OL would actually give him some protection the team still had a chance to win. Expecting the QB to drop back and do it all himself is expecting us to have a HoF QB.

Eli won though.

806211[/snapback]

shhhhh! leave logic out of this.

805763[/snapback]

Very good post!! Football is a team game and right now its the team not getting it done.

I for one am through with the McNally experiment. We haven't had an Oline in over ten years and the past several with McNally have not gotten any better. Thats one area of coaching that needs a change come this off-season.

805763[/snapback]

Looking at Manning's numbers a bit closer makes your point even further.

Of Manning's 17/30, 180 yards, he had 6 completions to Shockey, for 55 yards and 2 TDs, and 3 completions to Barber for 44 yards. So better than half of his completions and yardage went to guys who you could argue are in the top five (or better) at their respective positions. Barber also rushed for 185 freaking yards.

So the person's follow-up argument to your post stating that the numbers between Eli and JP are comparable but Eli won, is foolish. I have no doubt that if the two QBs were switched the outcome would have been the same.

Looking at Manning's numbers a bit closer makes your point even further.

Of Manning's 17/30, 180 yards, he had 6 completions to Shockey, for 55 yards and 2 TDs, and 3 completions to Barber for 44 yards.  So better than half of his completions and yardage went to guys who you could argue are in the top five (or better) at their respective positions.  Barber also rushed for 185 freaking yards.

So the person's follow-up argument to your post stating that the numbers between Eli and JP are comparable but Eli won, is foolish.  I have no doubt that if the two QBs were switched the outcome would have been the same.

806312[/snapback]

Agreed. Losman could be playing better but he's the starter and should be. The line sucks. The RB is questionable. The WRs are not that great. There's no TE. Let's keep starting him. As the team improves around him, he'll get better. For next year.

THE GIANTS won you idiot. Their Defense didn't give up 500 yards+ to an 0-5 team.

You people are all missing chromosomes.

806395[/snapback]

I'm not going to try to count the chromosomes of other posters, but you do bring up a good point about football being a team game. A quarterback should be evaluated based on his own performance, and not on the quality of his supporting cast. Take Trent Dilfer back in 2000. Great team, mediocre QB, great W/L record. Or take John Elway for most of his career: elite QB, substandard team, and lots of 8-8 and 9-7 seasons.

Few would accuse me of seeing Losman through rose colored glasses, but it's a mistake to put all or even most of the blame for the loss on him. At the same time, I do feel he could have played a lot better, even given the circumstances with which he was faced.