Crowell is our new Spikes

SACKMARINO

Spikes' Stats

Crow's Stats

The way Crowell has been playing, taking into account what he did last year as well i think it is safe to say that we have our new Takeo Spikes.

The starts are very similar and Crowell has been making big plays lately. As much as i like Spikes i admit that his injury is starting to tick me off a bit.

When Spikes is on the field playing, his talk was always exciting, but now its just starting to get annoying (ie: when he comes back he's gonna do this and that, saying we are rebuilding, etc). Like i said i like Spikes and want him back on the field but he better get on the field soon or just keep his mouth shut till he does.

Why would his injury "tick you off"? Do you believe he is faking?

Ever had a lingering injury? No one is more frustrated than the person who has to live with it.

It might tick you off that Takeo is getting older and doesn't heal as quickly, but that is all I can find fault with here.

Spikes' Stats

Crow's Stats

The way Crowell has been playing, taking into account what he did last year as well i think it is safe to say that we have our new Takeo Spikes.

The starts are very similar and Crowell has been making big plays lately. As much as i like Spikes i admit that his injury is starting to tick me off a bit.

When Spikes is on the field playing, his talk was always exciting, but now its just starting to get annoying (ie: when he comes back he's gonna do this and that, saying we are rebuilding, etc). Like i said i like Spikes and want him back on the field but he better get on the field soon or just keep his mouth shut till he does.

795787[/snapback]

Just eyeballing it, do you think Crowell has the same impact on the field that Spikes has? Spikes is probably the first player the QB looks for when he breaks the huddle. I don't know about if Crowell is at that level.

Just when you think it couldn't get dumber, people are railing on TKO, who only got hurt again because of the maximum effort he was expending. Whenever he's healthy, he's healthy. If he's not, I'd rather not see his Bills career end because of some misguided notion that he needs to be ready for even one game sooner than he really is ready.

I'd like to see you pussies try and play Bocce at an all-Pro level after tearing your achilles, much less professional football. We saw on play one that the guy can wreak havoc. I'm staying on his bandwagon.

Wow, Crowell > Spikes and Losman = Jim Kelly.

Both in the same week.

Do you guys actually watch the games, or do you only go off stats? Crowell Is good in coverage, but he is terrible getting off blocks and most of those tackles are 7 yards down field as he is tackling the RB going by. Rarely does he hit him head on as he can't gap fill and shed blocks.

Spikes has neither of those problems.

This is really approaching absurdity. I guess it should be expected though considering all the attention span and memory deficiencies 'round here.

With that said I agree that Crowell is doing a fantastic job out there!

Just when you think it couldn't get dumber, people are railing on TKO, who only got hurt again because of the maximum effort he was expending. Whenever he's healthy, he's healthy. If he's not, I'd rather not see his Bills career end because of some misguided notion that he needs to be ready for even one game sooner than he really is ready.

I'd like to see you pussies try and play Bocce at an all-Pro level after tearing your achilles, much less professional football. We saw on play one that the guy can wreak havoc. I'm staying on his bandwagon.

796105[/snapback]

Hey, if thats all there is to rag about after 4 games on a rebuilding team......I'll take it.

TKO, IMO will be in and out of the line-up for the remainder of his time in Buffalo, hopefully in more than out, I'll take that also........BILLS 12 BEARS 10 .......Go Bills!!!!

Spikes' Stats

Crow's Stats

795787[/snapback]

Takeo Spikes = Sam Cowart

Don't get me wrong Takeo is a beast and has a lot more heart the Sam, but a achilles is a achilles!!!

Spikes, as a team leader, standing up for Vincent (another vet and team leader) was blown way out of proportion by the mouth breathers on this board. It was a one-day thing where Spikes said what was on his mind (he's one of the few on the team who's entitled to do so) and we haven't heard a peep about it since. But apparently Takeo needs to "keep his mouth shut." It was reported that Vincent's hammy was more severe than TKO's, and TKO has missed four weeks, so the decision to IR Vincent looks to be the right move in the end.

Spikes was worried about two rookie safeties starting. What's wrong with that? I remember a reporter asking Faneca, a vet and team leader of the Steelers, if he was excited about Big Ben starting when Maddox got hurt a few years ago. There was a big hubbub because Faneca told the truth and said, "No, I'm not excited about a rookie QB taking over the offense. Who would be?"

Crowell has played well. Wait until he gets to play next to a healthy Spikes. He will look that much better. IMO, Spikes just wants to win, and if he says something that comes off wrong, at least he's passionate about what he's saying.

Also, it's the NFL. Don't be "ticked off" about injuries. Nobody cares about the hamsting injury you played through during your sophomore year of high school on JV fooball.

Spikes is way better than Crowell. Crowell is an upgrade from Posey, yes. And he filled in admirably for Spikes last year. Ellison is filling in admirably for Spikes this year. But let's face it. Spikes Fletcher Crowell sounds way better than Crowell Fletcher Ellison. When Spikes is healthy enough to come back, everyone will be very impressed and very thankful. Until he's healthy, I'd rather have him on the sidelines.

While I think someone getting ticked off at TKO over whether he is back offers a more relevant commentary on the ticked off individual rather than on Spikes (I agree with the comments that negative complaints about the time it takes TKO are ill-founded as the truth is when he is able to play is when he is able to play. There is no legitimate sense that he is a malingerer gtiven the type of nagging injury, the relatively short time he has been out because of it, and he is coming off a more traumatic injury. Even the complaints about him talking too much about coming back seem ill-founded since he actually did take the field quicker than can be reasonably expected by lining up for the first snap and the fact he got a sack leading to a Brady fumble and a TD simply means that whatever talk he made he backed up. Complaining about this hammy strain simply comes off as whining).

However, this post did get me to take a more intensive look at the current LB stats. While comparing Crow's stats so far to some extrapolation of what TKO did to this point for a different team in a different situation seems relatively odd, the better more relevant comparison to make is Crow's stats this year compared to Fletcher-Baker's.

Now this is impressive!

Fletch historically has led this team in tackles by a longshot year after year. His team leading totals are not flights of fancy since he actually has been credited with more tackles than any other NFL player over the past 5 years. His best year for the Bills was a team record which legitimitately put his name in the record books with producers like Spielman.

However, afte 4 games (which is far from an entire season but is a representative chunk of games to propose some thoughts) Crowell is actually totaling more tackles than even Fletch.

This is impressive.

I think a lot of this would have to do with the scheme switch. In the Tampa 2. the MLB plays a lot more zone pass coverage on 3rd down and his tackle numbers naturally go down as he plays off the line. Yet, he is on track to produce tackle #s which while not comparable to his best years for the Bills are in fact comparable to the 2004 year where Fletch wracked up 150 tackles for an effective D. Crow has racked up his team leading tackle numbers not simply because Fletch is tackling less, but because he is tackling more on this team.

Also impressive is that both he and Fletch are producing these numbers of tackles while also being productive in other parts of the game. Fletch had a crucuial INT last week which simply showd great awareness and great hands. Crow has 2 INTs a quarter of the way through the season. Angelo also has a sack to his credit.

I'd forget the TKO comparisons because they are fairly unsubstantiated and senseless. A comparison to the Fletch output is an indicator with not bad production by Ellison that the Bills may in fact have one of the best LB corps in football even today and that their is potential that TKO may be able to resume play at levels where his initial sack may indicate that as long as he recovers from the hammy strain, we may end up with 3 LB who deserve Pro Bowl level consideration (though likely none of them will get that nod this year).

Spikes' Stats

Crow's Stats

795787[/snapback]

I am very impressed by Crowell, but there is a major difference. You see, the pre-injury TKO was on his way to Canton imo. I can't think of a whole lot of LBs that I have ever seen who were in his class in terms of taking over games.

To name a few (not necessarily in order):

Lawrence Taylor (best ever by far)

Greg Lloyd

Robert Brazile

Ray Lewis

Dick Butkis

Willie Lanier

Bobby Bell

Mike Curtis

Cornelius Bennett

Bryce Paup (pre-injury)

Tom Jackson

Certainly I am missing some.

I consider a healthy TKO to be BETTER than:

Jack Lambert

Jack Ham

Brian Urlacher

Ted Bruschi (by far)

Nick Buonicotti

Carl Banks (once again, by far)

Greg Buttle

Lee Roy Jordan

Ted Hendricks

Again, I am missing many.

My point is that while Crowell is doing a great job, TKO was/(is?) a superstar. The Bills do have the cap room, so imo he is worth waiting for at this point.

I am shocked at how well the Buffalo Bills Defense is playing, BUT, let the first play of this season serve as an indication of what they can do with a healthy Takeo Spikes, a linebacker with Hall of Fame talent.

Jmo.

796105[/snapback]

Great post RuntheDamnBall. I don't get the hate on an injured TKO. If the guy were healthy he would be on the field.

The problem is everyone is comparing him to the Pre-Spikes injury. Who knows how good he'll be now? If he loses any speed which is likely, Crowell may be juat as good and alot cheaper.

When Spikes is healthy enough to come back, everyone will be very impressed and very thankful.

796136[/snapback]

I am very impressed by Crowell, but there is a major difference. You see, the pre-injury TKO was on his way to Canton imo. I can't think of a whole lot of LBs that I have ever seen who were in his class in terms of taking over games.

To name a few (not necessarily in order):

Lawrence Taylor (best ever by far)

Greg Lloyd

Robert Brazile

Ray Lewis

Dick Butkis

Willie Lanier

Bobby Bell

Mike Curtis

Cornelius Bennett

Bryce Paup (pre-injury)

Tom Jackson

Certainly I am missing some.

No way I'd put Tom Jackson, Paup, or Brazile (though Brazile played with a similiar anger) above him. I would put Derrick Thomas and Carl Banks slightly higher.

I'd also take out all the MLBers. It's just not a fair comparison.

I'd be interested to see how Banks would play without Carson and Taylor out there with him. Banks was really similiar to Bennett in his versatility. Spikes reminds me alot of Andre Tippett, who was just a beast.

And to the rest of you who think Crow is going to be better than Spikes...Get a clue. He's way too light in the ass to consistantly play SAM and that was NEVER more evident than the seven yard ride he took last week. I can all but guarantee that TKO has never had a play like that in his career.

No way I'd put Tom Jackson, Paup, or Brazile (though Brazile played with a similiar anger) above him.  I would put Derrick Thomas and Carl Banks slightly higher.

I'd also take out all the MLBers.  It's just not a fair comparison.

I'd be interested to see how Banks would play without Carson and Taylor out there with him.  Banks was really similiar to Bennett in his versatility.  Spikes reminds me alot of Andre Tippett, who was just a beast.

And to the rest of you who think Crow is going to be better than Spikes...Get a clue.  He's way too light in the ass to consistantly play SAM and that was NEVER more evident than the seven yard ride he took last week.  I can all but guarantee that TKO has never had a play like that in his career.

797292[/snapback]

I was really hoping you would chime in. :devil:

The only guy I put clearly above him was Taylor. The others, I put "in his class."

I am a huge TKO fan, but it wasn't close between him and LT. I have been an AFL fan my entire life, and was never even briefly a Giant fan. I think, being completely impartial, that LT and Jim Brown (before my time, so I am only talking film) were easily the best players in the history of football.

Since you mentioned Brazile, he was an absolute monster. At his best, I would compare him to TKO. I agree about Thomas, but I prefer TKO vs. the run. On the blitz, DT might have been the best ever. Lloyd (before he got hurt) was flat out dangerous.

I guess I would have to rate Taylor and Bobby Bell as the 2 best OLBs I ever saw, although Bell DID play next to Lanier, and in front of a great front 4.

The fact that we can even mention TKO in the same sentence as these guys should tell impatient fans why Jauron is willing to wait out his injury.

I was really hoping you would chime in.  :devil:

The only guy I put clearly above him was Taylor. The others, I put "in his class."

I am a huge TKO fan, but it wasn't close between him and LT. I have been an AFL fan my entire life, and was never even briefly a Giant fan. I think, being completely impartial, that LT and Jim Brown (before my time, so I am only talking film) were easily the best players in the history of football.

Taylor was simply came along at the perfect time and was in the perfect situation. I read somewhere he never even lifted weights until late in his career. Unblockable and given virtually free reign to do whatever he wanted by his coaches (thanks to them having Reasons/Carson/Johnson/Banks).

Since you mentioned Brazile, he was an absolute monster. At his best, I would compare him to TKO. I agree about Thomas, but I prefer TKO vs. the run. On the blitz, DT might have been the best ever. Lloyd (before he got hurt) was flat out dangerous.

Brazile played on a couple of really good teams, then the Oilers fell apart. I think he was an all-pro like 6-7 seasons in a row before the team basically imploded. That team was probably the third best in football a couple of those seasons but the best team happened to be in their division.

I guess I would have to rate Taylor and Bobby Bell as the 2 best OLBs I ever saw, although Bell DID play next to Lanier, and in front of a great front 4.

I don't think great players can exist in a vacuum. Taylor had plenty of talent around him (Marshall, Burt, Howard, Kinard, the aforementioned linebacking corp). He certainly made everyone around him better but the Giants had as good a front seven as probably anyone but the Steelers and '85 Bears.

The fact that we can even mention TKO in the same sentence as these guys should tell impatient fans why Jauron is willing to wait out his injury.

797320[/snapback]

No kidding. It sucks he's been set back because it was going to most of this season to return to form anyway.

How can you guys even discuss great linebackers without mentioning Wilcox, Nitchskie, Huff, Bill George (wasn't he in the 100 greatest NFL players ever) or Singletary? Heck even Junior Seau is better than Spikes yet he garners no mention. Also, how can anyone say Takeo is better than Jack Ham or Hendricks, these guys are HOFers for a reason.

The one thing about the football HOF vs. some of the others is it truely is based upon onfield play and isn't a as much of a populatity contest like others sports.