Foley's IMs

Chilly

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't everybody do this when they get hammered?

I can't wait for the republican spin machine to start cranking! I'm sure somehow Clinton had something to do with this.

793734[/snapback]

Countdown to blaming the Democrats for sitting on this until 5 weeks before the election in 3, 2, 1...Wacka? Wacka? Here boy.

Countdown to blaming the Democrats for sitting on this until 5 weeks before the election in 3, 2, 1...Wacka? Wacka? Here boy.

793808[/snapback]

Nah, I'll take that one. Because they did.

Of course, the Republicans would have sat on it forever, if they could have. The bottom line is: both sides of the aisle are playing party politics with the safety of teenage boys. Which, in its own way, is more disgusting than what Foley did.

Nah, I'll take that one.  Because they did.

Of course, the Republicans would have sat on it forever, if they could have.  The bottom line is: both sides of the aisle are playing party politics with the safety of teenage boys.  Which, in its own way, is more disgusting than what Foley did.

793817[/snapback]

Hey, we are talking about gaining/retaining power here. Some things are just more important than the safety of teenage boys. :devil:

It is a good thing the Big Two does everything in its power to make sure the American voters do not have a choice other than a steaming pile of crap vs. a steaming pile of crap.

Clearly, Foley is a twisted, irresponsible fukk. And outside of even younger children, I personally find even the mention of sex with teenage boys as monumentally repulsive as it gets. But even more remarkable is Foley's stupidity. He was warned to stay away from pages and emails to them, and what does he do? He goes on AOL! Instant Messenger! With a buddy list nickname of his friggin' initials and birthdate! What a fukkin' moron, too. Of all the stupid things a predator can do, that ranks.

Nah, I'll take that one.  Because they did.

Of course, the Republicans would have sat on it forever, if they could have.  The bottom line is: both sides of the aisle are playing party politics with the safety of teenage boys.  Which, in its own way, is more disgusting than what Foley did.

793817[/snapback]

I have no way of knowing whether the Dems knew about this or not, but in the four days since this story has broken I have not seen a single news article from a reputible news source claiming or showing evidence that the Dems knew anything. There is an editorial (with no author named :P ) in Investors.com, but it seems the unknown author's only evidence that the Dems orchestrated this "october surprise" is that the Dems had the audacity to call for an investigation and to question who in the GOP leadership knew about it.

Perhaps in the coming days some evidence will come to light that the Dems knew, but as of this post, no one with actual journalist credentials has seen any and all the speculation about this october surprize is coming from the GOP noise monkeys.

I have no way of knowing whether the Dems knew about this or not, but in the four days since this story has broken I have not seen a single news article from a reputible news source claiming or showing evidence that the Dems knew anything.  There is an editorial (with no author named  :P ) in Investors.com, but it seems the unknown author's only evidence that the Dems orchestrated  this "october surprise" is that the Dems had the audacity to call for an investigation and to question who in the GOP leadership knew about it.

Perhaps in the coming days some evidence will come to light that the Dems knew, but as of this post, no one with actual journalist credentials has seen any and all the speculation about this october surprize is coming from the GOP noise monkeys.

793940[/snapback]

Yeah, they didn't know about it. You know, because Washington is renowned for keeping secrets. It's amazing to me that someone as smart as you, who is so anti-establishment, absolutely refuses to drop this fukkin' charade.

I have no way of knowing whether the Dems knew about this or not, but in the four days since this story has broken I have not seen a single news article from a reputible news source claiming or showing evidence that the Dems knew anything.  There is an editorial (with no author named  :P ) in Investors.com, but it seems the unknown author's only evidence that the Dems orchestrated  this "october surprise" is that the Dems had the audacity to call for an investigation and to question who in the GOP leadership knew about it.

793940[/snapback]

There is NO WAY the Democratic members of the House and Senate didn't know about this. Even if the congresscritters don't associate with each other across party lines (and they do), their staffers do, and behind the scenes are hundreds (if not thousands) of support staff that are employed by the Capitol itself and are decidedly non-partisan...such as the Congressional pages. Everyone knows everyone else's business on The Hill.

The only thing that might lead me to believe that this wasn't a scheduled leak is that the Foley story trumped Woodward's book.

So you're telling us pages knew about this, the Republican party knew about this, and that the Democratic party didnt?? Are you serious??

Matthew Loraditch, a page in the 2001-02 class, told ABC News and the Washington Post that he and other pages were warned five years ago about Foley by a Republican staff member.

Loraditch, the president of the Page Alumni Association, said Foley sent "creepy" messages to three 2002 classmates after the boys finished the House program.

"They became explicit and similar to what we are seeing on the Web sites right now," said Loraditch, 21, a senior at Towson University in Maryland. Those who received them "didn't do anything beside telling other pages about it."

So you're telling us pages knew about this, the Republican party knew about this, and that the Democratic party didnt?? Are you serious??

794009[/snapback]

Frankly, the story is too salacious to believe that if the Dems knew they would be able to stop their giddiness this long and wait to use it at the right time. I think it would have come out long ago if they did. The quote you used says the pages kept it to themselves.

It is a good thing the Big Two does everything in its power to make sure the American voters do not have a choice other than a steaming pile of crap vs. a steaming pile of crap.

793825[/snapback]

That's true, and as a result politicians can often be isolated from what the American people want. A European-style proportional representation system would give the American people a stronger influence over their own government. To give a concrete example: during the 1990s, neither Clinton nor the Republicans did anything to subject SUVs to the same emissions standards, auto safety standards, or gas mileage standards to which cars are subjected. Apparently pleasing automakers was more important than protecting the environment. Many Americans felt differently, but the two party system didn't give them a means of expressing this. But in a proportional representation system, people could simply increase the Green Party's share of Congress to express displeasure at other parties selling out to corporations on the environment.

In the present system, if both parties sell out to corporations, it's very difficult for the American people to hold them accountable.

I have no way of knowing whether the Dems knew about this or not, but in the four days since this story has broken I have not seen a single news article from a reputible news source claiming or showing evidence that the Dems knew anything. 

[snip]

793940[/snapback]

Once again, so far, in the hundreds of news articles on this story, none have found a link to the Dems. Not saying there isn't one there. But, as of right now no one is reporting Dem involvement. If any Dem does surface with the type of knowledge that Hastert and the rest had, then I would just as vigorously call for their resignations as well.

If a link was there, I would think some of the more "resourcefull" members of the GOP would have found some evidence. But right now, Operation CYA consists primarily of changing stories by the hour and finger-pointing within the GOP ranks.

One of the South Florida disc jockeys, Paul Castronovo, was talking about this today. He said he knew Foley back in the day, and his discription reminded me of David Wooderson, Matthew McConaughey's character from "Dazed and Confused". The guy was 22, but not in college. He let the football players from the local high school hang out at his apartment. Castronovo was one of them. He said they did it because to them, he seemed like a rich cool dude, but looking back it was kinda creepy.

"Alright, alright, alright" takes on a new meaning.

Frankly, the story is too salacious to believe that if the Dems knew they would be able to stop their giddiness this long and wait to use it at the right time.

True, that. Though there is the "What happens in our club, stays in our club" factor. There's enough skeletons in enough closets on the Hill that more than a few people would worry "If this story about X gets out, will my dirty little secret go public, too?"

I would expect any day now to see reprisal "leaks" on Democratic members of Congress.

I think it would have come out long ago if they did. The quote you used says the pages kept it to themselves.

794025[/snapback]

It's hard to keep a story like this "institutionalized" within a small group with high turnover, like Congressional pages. For the pages to keep it secret from year to year, but keep the new pages aware each year, it would have to be a really open secret...enough so that everyone knew.

Once again, so far, in the hundreds of news articles on this story, none have found a link to the Dems.  Not saying there isn't one there.  But, as of right now no one is reporting Dem involvement.  If any Dem does surface with the type of knowledge that Hastert and the rest had, then I would just as vigorously call for their resignations as well.

"Hastert and the rest". :P The implicit assumption that knowledge of Foley must be distributed along party lines is disgusting. Nothing more than the same lascivious attempt to play party politics with the issue that so many of us have been complaining about to begin with.

If a link was there, I would think some of the more "resourcefull" members of the GOP would have found some evidence.  But right now, Operation CYA consists primarily of changing stories by the hour and finger-pointing within the GOP ranks.

794037[/snapback]

Business as usual in the GOP... :P

Frankly, the story is too salacious to believe that if the Dems knew they would be able to stop their giddiness this long and wait to use it at the right time. I think it would have come out long ago if they did. The quote you used says the pages kept it to themselves.

794025[/snapback]

The severity of Foley's behavior may not have been known to anyone, but I believe that all knew of his indiscretions. BTW, Foley's sexual orientation came up in 2002 when he ran for the senate.

As far as the pages go. I cant believe all 75 boy age 16, could keep a secret, that really wasn't a secret, away from everybody in the halls of Congress.