NBC Football Night in America Broadcast

ACor58

For some reason, the games on Sunday night have all felt bigger and better. Starting with the highlight show (Though nothing can replace Primetime) right through the game itself. I am a huge fan of what NBC has done.

Speaking of the highlight show, the first thing they do is run through the scores of the ealry games with a small headline summary under each. My favorite yesterday was:

"Tricky Mangini Outsmarts Himself", referring to the 4th and goal interception that haz Pennington threw.

For some reason, the games on Sunday night have all felt bigger and better. Starting with the highlight show (Though nothing can replace Primetime) right through the game itself. I am a huge fan of what NBC has done.

Speaking of the highlight show, the first thing they do is run through the scores of the ealry games with a small headline summary under each. My favorite yesterday was:

"Tricky Mangini Outsmarts Himself", referring to the 4th and goal interception that haz Pennington threw.

792609[/snapback]

As much love as Primetime has received on this board in the last few weeks, I really am not missing Berman's schtick ("WOOP! WOOP!" (x 10) is almost certainly what he would've done for that Jets-Colts lateral) and everything about ESPN lately (including Primetime) is just headache-inducing...from the music to the lights to the set to the commentary.

The NBC set seems very comfortable and relaxed. I like how they have reporters stationed in each stadium, I like PK (say what you want about him, but when he starts his sentences with "I just got off the phone with..." it makes me feel in the loop), and they've been getting better with showing more highlights. Bettis has some work to do...but it's a decent package, you can tell they're trying to be a little different and I think it's working. A good way to end the football day.

As far as the games go, they've been home run matchups every single week. Next week looks good too (PIT-SD) but the week after (DEN-OAK) should be a snoozefest.

As much love as Primetime has received on this board in the last few weeks, I really am not missing Berman's schtick ("WOOP! WOOP!" (x 10) is almost certainly what he would've done for that Jets-Colts lateral) and everything about ESPN lately (including Primetime) is just headache-inducing...from the music to the lights to the set to the commentary.

The NBC set seems very comfortable and relaxed.  I like how they have reporters stationed in each stadium, I like PK (say what you want about him, but when he starts his sentences with "I just got off the phone with..." it makes me feel in the loop), and they've been getting better with showing more highlights.  Bettis has some work to do...but it's a decent package, you can tell they're trying to be a little different and I think it's working.  A good way to end the football day.

As far as the games go, they've been home run matchups every single week.  Next week looks good too (PIT-SD) but the week after (DEN-OAK) should be a snoozefest.

792627[/snapback]

Blashpemy!!!! Haha ... no but Primetime is the best. Period. I dont like this blitz thing though. It goes to fast and is to sporadic.

Blashpemy!!!! Haha ... no but Primetime is the best. Period. I dont like this blitz thing though. It goes to fast and is to sporadic.

792629[/snapback]

Agreed...I get that ESPN is trying to appease the old Primetime viewers by keeping Berman and Jackson together but you never know when they're coming or going. It's really weird, having it mixed in between baseball, NASCAR and of course...the legendary Sunday staple...the ULTIMATE HIGHLIGHT. B-) ESPN really ticks me off sometimes.

Football Night in America...only NBC could up with something that corny. Really lame. The presentation of the game on Sunday nights though are alright.

792889[/snapback]

The game itself works well - helps when Al Michaels is doing the show.

So far, the highlight show is bad. Costas, Sharpe, Bettis, and Collinsworth aren't showing jack worth of highlights and are enjoying themselves a bit too much even when the highlights are on. Collinsworth needs to go.

I actually enjoyed Primetime because they showed thorough highlights of every game. Berman can get annoying, but he's far better than anyone else. I wish ESPN would do a special midnight Primetime with him & Tom Jackson, because they can't do the games justice with "The NFL Blitz"...in fact, they don't even do all the games.

The game itself works well - helps when Al Michaels is doing the show.

So far, the highlight show is bad. Costas, Sharpe, Bettis, and Collinsworth aren't showing jack worth of highlights and are enjoying themselves a bit too much even when the highlights are on. Collinsworth needs to go.

I actually enjoyed Primetime because they showed thorough highlights of every game. Berman can get annoying, but he's far better than anyone else. I wish ESPN would do a special midnight Primetime with him & Tom Jackson, because they can't do the games justice with "The NFL Blitz"...in fact, they don't even do all the games.

792916[/snapback]

What many people don't realize is that the NFL does not allow any Network, other that the NFL Network to have a "Highlight Only Show." That is why the NBC Pregame does not have many highlights.

Have you watched Inside the NFL lately? Theydo not show highlights from every game anymore, and the games they do show are not nearly as in depth as they used to be.

What many people don't realize is that the NFL does not allow any Network, other that the NFL Network to have a "Highlight Only Show." That is why the NBC Pregame does not have many highlights.

Have you watched Inside the NFL lately? Theydo not show highlights from every game anymore, and the games they do show are not nearly as in depth as they used to be.

792950[/snapback]

I don't have HBO, so I don't watch Inside the NFL.

The NFL doesn't allow any other network to have a highlight show, but only during the Sunday night prime time slot (7-8, Eastern). I don't see why ESPN couldn't do something at midnight.

I don't have HBO, so I don't watch Inside the NFL.

The NFL doesn't allow any other network to have a highlight show, but only during the Sunday night prime time slot (7-8, Eastern). I don't see why ESPN couldn't do something at midnight.

793072[/snapback]

Remember that Boomer and TJ's day probably begins at 9:00am if not earlier. I don't know how cool they'd be with staying until midnight for a bare bones audience of diehards. That's not the way ESPN works.

Boomer and TJ tape the NFL Blitz probably sometime around 7:30 (right when Primetime used to be on) and they're out.

Agreed...I get that ESPN is trying to appease the old Primetime viewers by keeping Berman and Jackson together but you never know when they're coming or going.  It's really weird, having it mixed in between baseball, NASCAR and of course...the legendary Sunday staple...the ULTIMATE HIGHLIGHT.  0:)  ESPN really ticks me off sometimes.

792635[/snapback]

I dont understand why thy didnt just keep primetime ... if they needed to change the name then just keep The Blitz but with the same format as primetime.

Agreed. Keep the old format. Film it whenever and air it later that night or all day on Monday under a different name. But that was and is, by far the best highlight show. Sure Berman could get a little over board. But, at least they showed all the games and actually commented on them. As opposed to making stupid jokes back and forth and competing with each other to see who can come up with the lamest segment that has nothing to do with the games that were played.

Prior to me getting Sunday NFL ticket, there was a long time when Primetime was just about the only way I saw any Bills action. I can't imagine what it would be like today without NFL ticket.

I dont understand why thy didnt just keep primetime ... if they needed to change the name then just keep The Blitz but with the same format as primetime.

793110[/snapback]

I've been thinking about this...it might be smarter for ESPN to air the old Primetime format for the first 60 minutes of the 90 minute Monday morning SportsCenter, and then devote the last half-hour to baseball, NASCAR and the BUDWEISER HOTSEAT. 0:)

This might present a problem once the baseball playoffs start (as in tomorrow) by not giving MLB top-billing...but it seems like there's enough of an outcry for Primetime as well.

I have to say that the way Andrea Kramer looks in HD is almost enough for me to switch back to the non-HD channel.

792897[/snapback]

0:) My wife walked by while I was watching, when AK popped up on the screen which elicited the "EW" repsonse from my wife. :D

One thing this show lacks, that Prime Time always showed was when teams honored their former stars.

PrimeTime always showed snippets of the teams 1/2 time ceremony before kicking off to the highlight of that game. I was looking for a snippet on the

Reeds wall of fame ceremony and these guys did not even mention it. However,

they are ready to talk about T.O for 1/2 hour without any substance...

One thing this show lacks, that Prime Time always showed was when teams honored their former stars.

PrimeTime always showed snippets of the teams 1/2 time ceremony before kicking off to the highlight of that game.  I was looking for a snippet on the

Reeds wall of fame ceremony and these guys did not even mention it. However,

they are ready to talk about T.O for 1/2 hour without any substance...

793170[/snapback]

NBC did show Reed during the Bills-Vikes highlights...I remember it specifically because Costas or Collinsworth poked fun at him for wearing earplugs.

I think that you guys are missing the point. The NFL is controlling the amount of highlights that any one program can show. "The Blitz" cannot go back to the original "Primetime" format. Football night in America Pregame cannot mimmick the old "Primetime" format. The only place that you can watch an all NFL highlight show is on the NFL Network.

I think that you guys are missing the point. The NFL is controlling the amount of highlights that any one program can show. "The Blitz" cannot go back to the original "Primetime" format. Football night in America Pregame cannot mimmick the old "Primetime" format. The only place that you can watch an all NFL highlight show is on the NFL Network.

793180[/snapback]

Where they repeat the same 4 games and ignore the rest of the 9-10 games that were played that week.....I hardly got to watch the highlights of the Bills-Jets game last week and I sure know that we won't be on this week too...I saw the NFL network schedule and they currently have the Redskins-Jax, Colts-Jets and Rams-Lions with one game undecided....My bet is it will be this MNF game (because Favre is in it) or it will be the lame NE-Cinncinnatti game....I don't think the

Car-NO or the Bills-Minn game has any shot for that 4th slot......

I don't understand. Do I need the NFL network to see a timely, first class highlight show ? The Football Night in America concept is not growing on me.

Lounging around ? Jimmy the Greek and Irv Cross didn't get to lounge around. They probably wanted to but they were professional, dammit...

792609[/snapback]

I like it too, and it reminds me how good NBC was at covering the AFC before CBS got the deal. CBS was awful, and now they really blow with their limited HD coverage. ESPN covers bowling in HD, and CBS can't even do all the NFL games. 0:)