Someone please tell Fox Sports

crazyDingo

putting that giant arrow on the field during the play with the Down and Distance on it. I just cant take it anymore! Anybody paying attention to the game knows what Down it is and probably the Distance, too. But lets say you're a casual fan who went to get a sandwich and you come back into the room-- there is a dude holding a big orange stick on the sideline with a number on it. Okay, but lets say you are a casual fan with a sandwich and someone at your door trying to get you to sign divorce papers, you come back to the game and there is a text graphic on the top of the tv screen near the score that says 3rd and 5. Do we really need to drop down to the brain damaged, sandwich eating, divorce papers signer and put a cartoon arrow on the screen? FOX! I'm Calling YOU OUT! You had the courage to stop putting a blue dot on the hockey puck. Stop with the Warner Brothers Wiley Coyote graphics.

I'm sorry. I'm dont even watch NFC games often...I just had to vent.

Damn you Fox. Damn you to hell.

At least have someone tell them it would be a lot easier for real fans to deal with if the arrow started at the current line of scrimmage and ended at the first down marker -- then it would be useful.

At least have someone tell them it would be a lot easier for real fans to deal with if the arrow started at the current line of scrimmage and ended at the first down marker -- then it would be useful.

792552[/snapback]

They find it easier to begin the line somewhere in the offensive backfield. Why? Who the fug knows.

I simply ignore things which I find stupid and it does not take me long to do this actually. They used a brighter tone originally for this down and distance arrow and it did interfere with the game some even for me, but much like the game situation and out of town scores (whih I find much more readable in the NBC coverage) one simply has to ignore the garbage to get at the good stuff.

I find I have to do the same thing at the Ralph where things from the annoying pseudo-fans sitting behind us, to the old days when one had to cough through folks cigarette smoke, there were great things about viewing the game from the stadium in terms of sharing the game with other Bills lovers, but their is also alot of stuff going on around you (a little of which was interesting but some of which were events like folks having sex at the game which happened once in terms of full intercourse). One simply hs to take the best and leave the rest. We all had practice at this when we were kids when conveniently we just could not hear our Moms when she was telling us to stop doing something and was only twenty feet away.

I think that technology will eventually solve these problems as the internet and interactive TV will allow us to choose between the info overlays we want displayed or not and Ihope eventually will allow us to chose an announcer or announcing style to go with the game. Imagine a future in which rather than turning off the Fox/NBC sound and listening to the radio feed which did not match the picture, one can turn off Dierdorf or Theisman and get the synchroed feed you like with the game.

While the down and distance arrow, as well as the placement of their time and score graphic (top of the screen) was annoying, I thought that the picture itself looked great.

I listened to the Fox announcers for all of 3 plays and then couldn't stand it. I went and brought a small radio downstairs and listened to Kelso and Murph.

Nothing better than the Fox Robots. My favorite is the one that just runs in place and then points. Apparently they think that it brings more attitude to the broadcast. I just think that they suck.

Nothing better than the Fox Robots. My favorite is the one that just runs in place and then points. Apparently they think that it brings more attitude to the broadcast. I just think that they suck.

792579[/snapback]

Funny, my 8 year old son loved those robots, but I agree they become tiresome by the third quarter.

At least it's not like college ball where they put advertisments on the first giant arrow.

792559[/snapback]

Just wait. Soon enough, NFL games will be so plastered with ads in every conceivable space, it will make NASCAR blush.

792579[/snapback]

My dad and I were talking about the robots during the game too. For some reason, FOX has been obsessed with working robots into their sports coverage for over ten years now. When they first got the NHL, they would have two robots (each with a team's logo on its chest) fight after a goal and one would kill the other to allow its team to add a point to their score on the screen display.

I guess that was kind of cool (when I was 13 or 14) but the fact that they're obsessed with reminding viewers that someday in the future these games may be played by giant humanoid robots is pretty disturbing. Seriously, ten years of this?

Don't forget everyone, FOX is the exclusive home of the BCS this year! All four BCS games including the now separate National Championship will be displayed on the home of robots and lasers.

But really, as much bashing (well-deserved) as FOX takes they did come up with the yellow 1st down marker (does anyone remember football on TV before that thing??).

And although it seems like one of the networks would've inevitably come up with it sooner or later, they are also responsible for the constant scoreboard display during games.

I'd much rather the down and distance were just posted at the top of the screen. I thought a good share of the time the announcers botched their estimate of the distance to a first down. They would be better off to shut up. They were bad.

As annoying as the FOX down and distance, is CBS' "red zone" patch, everytime a team gets to the opposing teams 20 yard line...

All in all though, I will say, I am glad that all of the networks seemed to tone down the on-screen graphics a bit this year. I find the NBC and ESPN broadcasts to be down-right subdued at times. And that is not a bad thing. I am as big a fantasy football geek as anyone, but I got irritated the last few years, when there were constant useless/meaningless fantasy stats streaming across the lower screen, and then the score, time, down & distance in one of the top corners, and then, in the other top corner, scores, time lapse from other games being played.

I got irritated the last few years, when there were constant useless/meaningless fantasy stats streaming across the lower screen, and then the score, time, down & distance in one of the top corners, and then, in the other top corner, scores, time lapse from other games being played.

792703[/snapback]

Yep, CBS used to be the WORST at this. Shaud Williams would get a 2 yard pickup and suddenly next to the score you'd see,

"Totals:

S. Williams 1 car., 2 yds."

That was a little much.