Rochester Economy?

mcjeff215

I don't think that it's "homesickness" as much as it is "frustration".

WNY has the potential to be great but they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Be warned - the business community does not like future Gov. Eliot Spitzer, and he ain't exactly a "business friendly" politician.

787348[/snapback]

Yeah, good point. I keep an eye on it waiting for them to get it right, but they never seem to improve upon anything. By the time they figure it out, I'm afraid I'll have a Southern accent. It is very frustrating.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do software eng/computer stuff.  I bring it all up again because I got a couple calls from up there over the past week. I like to do a bit of research before jumping into it.  Overall, looks like heading back would be a poor decision....  :P

-Jeff

787284[/snapback]

i think that in the software field there are a lot of opportunities in this area.

you do compete with kids coming out of RIT who get their foot in the door with a co-op prorgram, but i dont' think that most of those kids bother to stick around after graduation.

I do software eng/computer stuff.  I bring it all up again because I got a couple calls from up there over the past week. I like to do a bit of research before jumping into it.  Overall, looks like heading back would be a poor decision....  :P

-Jeff

787284[/snapback]

If you find the job you want up there: salary, the nature of the job whatever and you want to move up there I say it's a no brainer. I would base my decision on the job I get not how the overall economy is.

Always entertaining the idea of moving back home... how's the Rochester economy stack up with the Buff?  Wife's considering it again, too.... thanks..

-Jeff

786624[/snapback]

Verry simply--if you have an income there is a good quality of life in either town. Economically Buffalo area is a semi-joke. California is vibrant economically--but the state is highly in debt--and the quality of life isnt as good as people seem to think---traffic jams, crummy crime ridden cities...high cost of living..

Western New York--not so bad a lifestyle.

Verry simply--if you have an income there is a good quality of life in either town. Economically Buffalo area is a semi-joke. California is vibrant economically--but the state is highly in debt--and the quality of life isnt as good as people seem to think---traffic jams, crummy crime ridden cities...high cost of living..

Western New York--not so bad a lifestyle.

787589[/snapback]

I don't doubt that I could have a good quality of life, even with a lower wage. The future is my big concern. The lower wages would probably mean sacrificing some, if not all, of my retirement savings.

The one hope I have is that my Atlanta home will continues to appreciate at a 4-6% annual rate so that in 6 or 7 years, I could sell it and use the equity to buy a Buffalo home with cash and no payments, then get a pleasant little job at Wegman's.

I know that Spitzer is a Democrat and most people think that means that he isn't business friendly. He claims that he is a man of high moral character. When he is elected, here is hoping that he can make New York State a great place to live again.

786968[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't believe Cornell is closing anything up there. I believe that this lab is simply moving from Albany over to there.

787146[/snapback]

You are correct. There have been no rumblings that I have heard about closing the station and I work at Cornell.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

787962[/snapback]

What's so funny?

In his commercials, Spitzer said he's a friend of business and will singlehandedly restore the moribound economies north of Rockland Co. A man of Spitzer's moral fiber cannot possibly lie.

You've hit it dead on.  There's no life beyond work and commute.  The damn problem is that back home, I'll pay stupid taxes and live on a 1922 salary.  It's a tradeoff.

I'm in the same boat.  I get up at 5:30 AM and run around my neighborhood. I leave the house at seven in order to be at a friend's house by eight in order to jump in the carpool.  We get to work between 9:00 and 9:30 most days.    The ride home is no better. We'll leave work at about six.  All said and done, I pull into my driveway at about half-past seven or quarter 'till eight. 

I'm out 13 hours every day; four or five of those hours are spent commuting.  By the time dinner's through (which I eat after my daughter has gone to sleep for the night a lot of nights), it's time to hit the bed and do it all again the next day.  Without the carpool, I save an hour in total but I spend $500 a month in gas.

It's getting worse, too, as the 7 miles between my house and the expressway is now littered with rezoning notices. General commercial. Because we all need more of that.

Doesn't hurt to look at the state of affairs up there every now and then.  I've a cousin in Orlando that just packed up and finishes the move back to East Aurora this weekend.

-Jeff

787300[/snapback]

If WNY is not the right spot, how about other places? Like Central VA around Richmond, VA? Lots of jobs around here, taxes are reasonable, and winter is only 2 months long. I have worked for a few companies in this area - best jobs I ever had.

I used to work in NYC/NJ after school and quality of life was tough after a 12 hour work day with commute. Now, I am 20 minutes from work and, most days, I am out the door by 7:30 and back home by 5:45. I have complete empathy with your situation. I have been there and I am glad I left when I did. Quality of life is a big deal. And there are businesses/jobs in this area where the pay disparity is not much between ATL/NYC/DC/etc.

What's so funny? 

In his commercials, Spitzer said he's a friend of business and will singlehandedly restore the moribound economies north of Rockland Co.  A man of Spitzer's moral fiber cannot possibly lie.

788375[/snapback]

He does live on Integrity Lane according to his commercials.

I know that Spitzer is a Democrat and most people think that means that he isn't business friendly. He claims that he is a man of high moral character. When he is elected, here is hoping that he can make New York State a great place to live again.

786968[/snapback]

787962[/snapback]

I laughed the first time I read his post...then lost some of the water I was drinking after reading yours. :blink:

Since moving to NH, I've ran into alot of displaced WNY'ers...it's very strange actually, how many there are. One example, I went CL to buy a set of barely used tires. When I went to pick them up, I noticed a "Buffalo" sticker on the guy's car. It turns out he's from Williamsville and his wife is from Cheektowaga. His reason for leaving? Job market was too tough. One guy I work with is from Lackawanna...left because of the quality of life. Even the guy that delivered my fridge from Best Buy on saturday was from Buffalo.

(there are more examples, but not worth noting...unless you're a granite state bills backer...i found out through that site that my best friend from middle school in williamsville and his little brother both moved up to NH...watched the Bills-Jets game together at a bar in Manchester...the wings are terrible! breaded and baked and i'm not sure what the deal is with the sauce...)

Since we're on the topic, how much do people make in Buffalo / Rochester? We consider coming back (from NYC) and know we'll take a big hit salary wise, but I'm not sure how much.

Here are a few jobs, would love to hear what ballpark the salaries are in:

- Marketing - VP / Senior Manager Level

- Banking / Finance - Executive Level - (i know there's not a lot around)

- Laywer (what does a 4th or 5th year attorney make at a decent firm?)

- Teacher - After 5 years in public schools, how much does someone make?

- Engineer

I don't doubt that I could have a good quality of life, even with a lower wage. The future is my big concern. The lower wages would probably mean sacrificing some, if not all, of my retirement savings.

The one hope I have is that my Atlanta home will continues to appreciate at a 4-6% annual rate so that in 6 or 7 years, I could sell it and use the equity to buy a Buffalo home with cash and no payments, then get a pleasant little job at Wegman's.

787621[/snapback]

That's is a real deal breaker, IMO. The rapid appreciation in home values in many major U.S. markets since 2001 has created enormous equity wealth for a lot of people. That trend has bypassed Upstate NY where home values remain among the lowest in the nation.

When it comes time to cash in your chips and retire, it'll be very tough for Upstater's to (1) make any money on the home they sell here, and (2) find a home in a faster growing and/or retirement market they can afford.

1. Unfortunately, the economic realities is that the opportunities are so much better for the people that moved that they have to take them. If New York was its own country, things would have changed already as people who have had to have stayed would not suffer this for very much longer.

2. The people who leave, left for the reason. The people who stayed, stayed for a reason. While you will find people who are looking to come back who left and people who are here who wished they left. People's own experience of the situation will somewhat color their perceptions of the macro situation.