What do you say to Jp after our loss to the Jets?

Two of the three turnovers were because Losman's blind side was completely unprotected.  As for the Jets, it's really easy to NOT make mistakes when there's no pass rush. 

784569[/snapback]

How much time do you think he had on those plays to get rid of the ball? I could not see what was happening down field (i.e., whether the receivers were not open), but it did seem that he had plenty of time to get rid the of the ball to avoid a mistake. On at least one of those plays, the play clock counted down four seconds.

JP did not have one of his better outings. His mistakes were determinative. Nevertheless, I still think that he needs more time -- both to gain experience and for the coaching staff (and the rest of us) to see whether he will learn from his mistakes.

784803[/snapback]

On the first fumble, he had no time. The safety came untouched up the middle. The second fumble, the safety went around the outside and took longer to get there, but got there just as Losman's was unloading deep. Neither one was really a matter of taking too much time with the ball. It's hard to tell whether Losman was aware of the blitzer on the first fumble, but if he was, his only mistake was trying to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you that Losman has occassional good moments.  No question there.  The difference between the Losman-optimists and Losman-pessimists is that the former see those moments as a harbinger of what his play will always be like, while the pessimists think he'll play just well enough to be a coach killer.

784842[/snapback]

The truth is, we lost this game in the first quarter. We had the lead, and plenty of drives in scoring position in which we just gave it away with stupid decision (fake fg, and the 2 other drives). When you're a below average team, you don't give momentum to the other team.

Even though, they look like a team that is better than last year.

The truth is, we lost this game in the first quarter.  We had the lead, and plenty of drives in scoring position in which we just gave it away with stupid decision (fake fg, and the 2 other drives).  When you're a below average team, you don't give momentum to the other team. 

Even though, they look like a team that is better than last year.

784868[/snapback]

true.

While the Jets occasionally got pressure with some blitzes, it seemed to me that Willis McGahee had some great holes to run through, and that for the most part JP Losman had plenty of time to throw.

JDG

784781[/snapback]

not when the game was on the line.

and i should have clarified earlier but was sort of in a hurry---the d-line got beat pretty soundly today as well.

If I was Jauron I would ask JP what he thinks of Brady Quinn

784357[/snapback]

Are you serious?

hahahahahahahahah

Yeah Quinns really been rippin it up this year

I love JP haters, every other QB in the NFL gets at least 2 seasons (30 + games) to mature or come into their own, or not and then become a 2nd stringer.

JP gets 12 starts and if he doesn't dazzle then lets draft a new QB and start the sequence all over again.

hahahahahahahhahaha

dying over here

What do those of us who think he could be a really good QB but still has a lot to learn and a lot of growing pains count as?

784845[/snapback]

We count as being far more realistic and understanding than fair weather fans as every other QB in NFL history gets more than 11 starts to determine if they are good or bad.

Not sure why JP is being bashed much at all. The INT was a dumb pass. He had no business throwing that ball there but hey, one pic in 3 games is pretty solid. The fumble that went for the touchdown was not his fault at all McGahee whiffed on the block and it ended up being the turning point of the game. McGahee made a block on two guys in the same play last week so we know he is somewhat capable of making that play. Unfortunately it cost us b ig time. The first fumble was kinda a bone head play on JP's part and the crowd was definitely calling for a challenge form Jauron. I didnt get to see the replay cuz I was at the game but should he have challenged that one? Kinda looked like he was trying to throw it. And as for the last drive after the onside kick, it was 45mph wind gusts with sideways pouring rain at that point. This game was lost on our defensive side of the ball. A few drives we just couldn't make a stand. We had no pass rush all day. I wish Spikes would get healthy. I can say I am relieved that our offense did come to life. We just need to put a game together where the offense and defense are clicking in the same game. But for everyone bashing Losman, I'm just not sure what game you were watching because I don't hold him responsible for this one at all. I do feel like we don't have much of a red zone threat. We don't have that go to TE or big WR that can come down with it. Anyways, that's my thoughts.

-Depressed Bills Fan

Oh ya and whoever said Pennington was brillant by hitting that screen pass on third down when we had an all out blitz going is out of their mind. I could have thrown that pass with gangrene on my hand. There was no one within 8 yards of the RB and the blitz was picked up perfectly. Wide open

Losman played fine, he threw a stupid throw, and lost the ball twice which he has to find a away to hang on to the ball, Which can be blamed on the blocking as well. he is learning the team is young and learning yet they have remained to stay in the games and have a chance to win at the end. They have to start finding away to win. As Vince Lombardi stated winning isnt a once in awhile thing, its an all the time thing, winning is a habit, unfortunatly so is losing. The Bills just have to break the habit thats been built over last year and find ways to win and keep winning. Losmans generally been playing well, we have other youngsters that are making as many mistakes Ko Simpson missed a tackle that went for a score. I think Losmans going to be a pretty good QB. patience is a virtue

I really don't know what to say.  You can't say it's ok.  But in a sense you can because some of the bad plays weren't your fault.  There's always next week Jp to rebound.

784356[/snapback]

Last week all you guys wanted to see was jp open up and go wild against that secondary. Wow he did, ya he threw a bad pick and was BLINDSIDED twice. but he didnt quit, dopwn to that last play he was fighting, and idc if we lost he showed me that hes a competitor and he wont quit on this team. We are rebuilding too, be happy the kid showed flashes of greatness, this is only his 11th start, be patient.

Biker #2: I say we kill him!

Biker Gang: [shouts] Yeah!

Biker #3: I say we hang him, then we kill him!

Biker #4: I say we stomp him!

Biker #4: Then we tattoo him!

Biker #4: Then we hang him!

Biker #4: And then we kill him!

Pee-wee: [trying to throw voice without moving lips] I say we let him go.

Biker Gang: [shouts] No!

Biker Mama: [whistles] I say you let me have him first

Biker Gang: Yeah!

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised some are so quick to rip on JP...What has he Started...11 Games now? Can anyone say todays performance was not 100% better than the JP we saw last Year?

He's Young, and this is The Bills 3rd Regular Season after installing a completely new Offense...Maybe My expectations are a bit low, but I've been semi-thrilled with what I have seen of JP so far this Season. He's improving...That's about all I can ask for at this time...And it's obvious the Coaches have pounded some pretty clear rules into JP's head...There were times today that JP should have run but stopped and threw the Ball away instead. He's not a finished Project for certain, but that's to be expected.

The turnovers sucked today...No question...But the Bills still have problems in Pass Protection, and there is no way you can blame JP for all of that...He's done quite a bit in the 1st 3 Games to hide the O-Line problems if you ask me...And I know no one did... :D

This Game was a combination of a whole lot of bad decisions and bad breaks for The Bills. That happens when you have a Roster full of Kids and a New Coaching Staff trying to learn what works with them and what does not...I mean...You certainly have to put part of the blame on the D today allowing the Jets TD's instead of FG's in the Home Opener...Right?

If JP continues to improve at this pace there is no reason to believe He will not be a very good NFL QB in a year or two. But expecting him to be Kelly (Jim not Holcomb <_< ) incarnate, or error free this early in his career is simply too much to ask...Like it or not, this is a "Building Year" as it has been decribed. This is the Year the Bills make their mistakes and Build the experience necessary to make a run starting in 2007. They will lose Games like this one today, and somewhere along the line they will beat a Team or two they are not supposed to beat...This IS NOT a Playoff calibre Team...That's what the the Coaches are "Building" towards. I know Folks don't want to hear that, but it is what it is...

And I think JP will be just fine... :doh:

Not sure why JP is being bashed much at all.

The Bills lost a game in which McGahee had 150 rushing yards to the Jets' 69. Part of that's turnovers; and even if you absolve Losman from blame for the two fumbles, you've still got the interception. But part of it is that the offense displayed many of the same problems it had last week: inability to go for the killing blow, to finish off drives with touchdowns instead of settling for field goals or punts.

Against the Jets, there were ten times when Losman dropped back to pass on third down. Three times he completed a pass but was short. Another three times he threw incomplete. Then there was a sack. There were only three times out of ten when he completed a 3rd down pass for a first down.

I described similar problems after last week's win over Miami. I was basically told to shut up and be happy with the win. But guess what? Losman's inability to convert third downs or sustain drives came back to haunt us this week; as I felt it would sooner or later. The Bills can't expect the defense to dominate every team the way it did the hapless Dolphins; so at some point Losman will have to learn to sustain drives. Or he'll need to be replaced with someone who can.

"Jets didn't make them, Bills did. The one that the Jets made almost cost them a win too if Losman would have played better on the last drive."

so you jusst assume if JP played better on the final drive, the Bills go down and score in 1:13 with 1 timeout, convert the 2 pts and then win in overtime?

thats a lot of assuming, friend. this one aint on JP.

"Jets didn't make them, Bills did.  The one that the Jets made almost cost them a win too if Losman would have played better on the last drive."

so you jusst assume if JP played better on the final drive, the Bills go down and score in 1:13 with 1 timeout, convert the 2 pts and then win in overtime?

thats a lot of assuming, friend.  this one aint on JP.

785341[/snapback]

Who's your daddy???

That's a pretty funny screen name.

The worst mistake he made was the first fumble.  It was just inexcusable.  He saw the blitz and moved to his right to avoid it...he either needed to throw the ball away instead of running or he needed to tuck the ball away and take off running.  The slow slide to the left with his arm cocked back was just a horrible decision.

784486[/snapback]

Looked to me like he ran for his life looking to throw it away and was trying to do just that when he got caught. I guess he could have just taken the sack but at that point it would have made it a 45 yard FG at least and in that wind, I think it would have been a pretty difficult kick. Tough to just take a sack or even throw it away on third down. Besides, the Jets punted after that so at most, all that cost us was an iffy FG attempt. The only turnover that really made a difference was the one caused by Willis missing a block against a blind side blitzer.

I guess we should just trade Willis. <_<

RECEIVING
 REC	YDS	TD	LG
L. Evans	8	107	0	27
R. Parrish	4	104	1	51
P. Price	3	49	0	20
J. Reed	4	45	0	31
R. Royal	1	20	0	20
W. McGahee	2	3	0	6

terrible play by the wr's!  <_<

784763[/snapback]

Evans = lot of garbage catches on the last 2 minutes

roscoe = outstaning couple plays, disappeared the rest of the time (and his 22 yd catch didnt get a sorely needed 1 st down)

reed = not getting open when they really needed it, failed to get 1st downs on two important catches

peerless = not getting open enough, awful PI call after the fumble returned for a touchdown

royal = nice grab, but whenever those 2 tight end sets come in the game, the offense dies a horrible death

mcgahee = not getting good passes doesnt help a guy with questionable hands

The Bills lost a game in which McGahee had 150 rushing yards to the Jets' 69.  Part of that's turnovers; and even if you absolve Losman from blame for the two fumbles, you've still got the interception.  But part of it is that the offense displayed many of the same problems it had last week: inability to go for the killing blow, to finish off drives with touchdowns instead of settling for field goals or punts.

Against the Jets, there were ten times when Losman dropped back to pass on third down.  Three times he completed a pass but was short.  Another three times he threw incomplete.  Then there was a sack.  There were only three times out of ten when he completed a 3rd down pass for a first down. 

I described similar problems after last week's win over Miami.  I was basically told to shut up and be happy with the win.  But guess what?  Losman's inability to convert third downs or sustain drives came back to haunt us this week; as I felt it would sooner or later.  The Bills can't expect the defense to dominate every team the way it did the hapless Dolphins; so at some point Losman will have to learn to sustain drives.  Or he'll need to be replaced with someone who can.

785334[/snapback]

I see, so JP failed on third down, not the offense, just JP?

The Jets were 4 for 12 on third down, I guess they should get ready to bench Chad? I am more concerned with the play calling on 3rd and 4 and similar downs. I don't think we tried Willis on any of those despite our success on the ground.

Some of these numbers are misleading. We had one nice drive where we got down to the Jet 35 and then promptly picked up 15 yard in penalties. JP hit Roscoe for 22 on 3rd and 25 so it goes down as a missed third down opportunity but that really wasn't the whole story was it? We went for it on 4th and he hit Reed, exactly where the play was designed to go but he came up just shy of the marker when the LB made a nice play.

I think JP was the least of their problems when it came to sustaining drives today.

The beef I have with JP is his pocket awarness....I mean the entire stadium knew when the Jets were blitzing, and JP did not.....especially on that fumble returned for a TD. Yes, McGahee missed a block, but JP didn't even see Rhodes up on the LOS, hes got to recognize that.

785352[/snapback]

Listen to Jauron explain the play on the post game press conference. He says JP knew the guy was coming and knew the back was there to block him and did the right thing. He had to trust that the blitzer was not going to come in on a complete whiff. All willis has to do was chip him and it was a TD or a long gainer. There were two guys wide open. They had the right play called and one guy didn't do his job.

The beef I have with JP is his pocket awarness....I mean the entire stadium knew when the Jets were blitzing, and JP did not.....especially on that fumble returned for a TD. Yes, McGahee missed a block, but JP didn't even see Rhodes up on the LOS, hes got to recognize that.

785352[/snapback]

Actually, he did see it and we had the call to beat that very blitz, what he can't see is the missed block on his blind side. We actually had a chance to burn them on that blitz they way we did on Roscoe's TD and the way they burned us on that long catch and run to the back leading to their first score.

Really, you could have had Joe Montana back there or Kelly or anyone else you want to name and had the same result. Now, I suppose that rather than roll out away from the blitz while watching for the WR to get free so he could pull the trigger, he could have stared Willis down to see if the block was made or not and thereby forfeited any chance of making a play even if Willis hit on the block. Jauron said it at the post game, JP did what he is supposed to do on that play.