Alright, Let's Hear Some Viable Options

R. Rich

Pretty well my thoughts. A lot of the parts are there, but they just don't work as a unit.

56508[/snapback]

Does anyone think that Ralph Wilson could convince Jimmy Johnson with a 5yr. $50 million contract to take the Bill's GM job? That would certainly be a move in the right direction to fixing this organization!

-I immediately put Wire on more notch down on the depth chart. Move Baker up based on more speed, potential and playing his natural position (until Milloy returns).

- Josh Reed's spot has already been taken by Evans, but I move him down one notch further and move up Sam Aiken to the #3 spot as the "posession" WR.

56476[/snapback]

The Wire move is pretty much a given at this point, and has been ever since they sent Baker onto the field yesterday. Coy's still a great kid, a tremendous athlete, and I'm not ditching my #27 jersey, but even I can't handle watching him get toasted on a weekly basis any more. Get well soon, Lawyer.

(One minor correction re:Wire, though. Baker was the one called for offsides on the FG, not CW.)

although they lost, they played good enough to have a chance to win - except for the stupid plays & penalties.

To correct the problem, MM should limit the game plan for the next game no more than 10 plays which they will practice all week until they execute them flawlessly.

Take away the distractions, just block and execute.

This team thinks too much and they don;' have the brains for such deep thought.

Instead of all the incessant whining, let's hear some well thought out alternatives.  You don't like the play at safety?  What should we do about it?  Changes in the OL?  RB?  QB?  Let's hear 'em.

56412[/snapback]

How about fining the players for dumb a$$ penalties, dropped balls and blown assignments. The way this team is going, there isn't going to be anyone on the team that will be able to afford dinner at Denny's after the games!!

FIRST 10 MOVES

1. Cut Coy Wire NOW.

2. Sign best available veteran S to take his place on the roster.

3. Start Prioleau at SS until Milloy returns.

4. Put Bledsoe on a short leash, pull him if he sucks for Matthews.

Doesn't have to be a permanent change, just mix things up.

5. GET WELL JP, cause I'm starting you as soon as you're healthy.

6. IF JJ is OK, move Marcus Price back to starting RT

(should never have been demoted based on injury IMO)

7. Have JMac get MW ready for LG.

8. Lee Evans never leaves the field on O, he is definitely #2 WR.

9. More work for Willis, especially in short-yardage situations.

10. Give orders to MM to kick this team's ass day-in and day-out

until the penalties & bone-head mistakes start to go away.

Oh yeah, #11.

As long as Bledsoe is starting QB, ditch the conservative game plan.

Run plenty of 3-WR sets (Moulds, Evans, & someone else, whoever steps up...if no one steps up, start bringing in players). Gilbride couldn't do this last year with Moulds hurt & Pucillo + MW on the right side of the line, but I think this is the only way you can win with Drew. With Moulds, Evans, and Price at RT, he may have a shot. Otherwise, play Matthews in the conservative game plan until JP is ready.

Have Mcgee be our starting FS...he would be excellent at this position

SS-Milloy

CB-Clements

CB-Vincent

that right there is a pretty damn good secondary if Mcgee could adapt to the FS role.

I also think with this secondary out there make Kevin Thomas your nickleback.

On offense as much as everybody wants JP to play right away I think you only do this if it is a must...I don't want him being rushed into action and then having both legs broken for being in there when he shudn't

Bledsoe has done well thus far and doesn't deserve to be pulled yet, unless he continues to miss on routine passes such as quick inside slants to josh reed for 10 yards and guarenteed touchdowns.

O yah and find a way to get more pressure on the damn QB!! Someone teach our DEs some pass rush moves, hire bruce smith if you need to, he cud show them.

Until Lawyer comes back, PP should be our FS on obvious passing downs.

Now that McGee and NC are our starting corners, I'd use different returners till TV is back.

Our standard set should be 3 wide which puts another playmaker (Evans) on the field.

Attach a shock collar to DB's 4 second clock.

Give Sam Wyche a collar for MM when he calls the naked bootleg, neglects to call a challenge, etc.

Since it takes DB 2 seconds to drop back, use some shotgun formations.

Set up a big video screen in the locker room that plays loops. Example, Fletcher's PF, then the ensuing score, then a shot of the coach, and fans. Repeat.

Same for dancers. A big stop on second down? Show a clip of dancer getting beat later in the series. Then show his dance move again. Run it all week.

Fire the guy that makes the call in the booth on challenges or get him some training re game situations. Ex. TV timeout, NE hurry up, Raiders 4 & 1.

I also agree with Obi Wan. Supposedly, the O is simpler. Yet TH, DB, and Moulds have all run the wrong play. Fewer plays= less confusion and more confidence.

Run the ball. 23 attempts per game for TH sounds good until you realize that he will fall down, be tripped or run the wrong way at least once a game.

Edge gets 21 in a pass happy offense, LT gets 21 behind a worse line and gets alot of receptions, "Old" Curtis Martin gets 28 a game.

Replacing Bledsoe or shifting the OL is not the right move at this time.

We can't change the line at this stage.  The obvious change is QB.  Anyone is more mobile than Drew and Matthews is the only game in town.  That would be a possibility.  We run block pretty well and we can get more touches for BOTH Henry and see if Willis has any potential.  Use two tight ends more often.  Put a blocking fullback in there on passing downs. 

If we are going to keep Drew in, we have to protect him.  Blocking backs and two tight ends are probably the way to go, which means putting some good receivers on the bench.

I suspect we'll lose a few more games and go with Losman.

56497[/snapback]

I think maybe the answer is Brian Moorman. Has a good arm based on pass completion earlier in year, is mobile based on way he ran yesterday on bpotched play, provides leadership to his team( I liked the stand up on the bench thing to get the fans going)

Have Mcgee be our starting FS...he would be excellent at this position

SS-Milloy

CB-Clements

CB-Vincent

that right there is a pretty damn good secondary if Mcgee could adapt to the FS role.

I also think with this secondary out there make Kevin Thomas your nickleback.

On offense as much as everybody wants JP to play right away I think you only do this if it is a must...I don't want him being rushed into action and then having both legs broken for being in there when he shudn't

Bledsoe has done well thus far and doesn't deserve to be pulled yet, unless he continues to miss on routine passes such as quick inside slants to josh reed for 10 yards and guarenteed touchdowns.

O yah and find a way to get more pressure on the damn QB!! Someone teach our DEs some pass rush moves, hire bruce smith if you need to, he cud show them.

56593[/snapback]

I'd change a bit:

Basically, it's time to start talking about the future and start playing like the future is now!

Get McGahee in the damn game. What the hell is the point of having both of these guys on the team if you are not going to use them! I'm not saying bench Henry...I'm saying play BOTH of them!

Give Drew ONE MORE GAME. I know that's the last thing most poeple want to hear, but before the season started I said to myself that I wanted to see MM system in place and the players working it by week 5. Well, week 5 is here. If Drew still isn't able to excel in this system...get him out of the game. Let someone else try.

For now, Mathews. Get JP in ASAP. For those that say he will just get hurt..etc, get over it. This is the NFL. We can't baby our QB! If he's going to get hurt every time he goes into the game, he doesn't belong in the NFL. Lets see that cocky swagger JP. I want to see you grabbing your OLinemen's facemasks and pointing them at the Defense! Lets see some fuggin ATTITUDE on the field.

Both Milloy and Vincent should be back around week 6. In the mean time, lets see what McGee and Thomas can do in the 2 and 3 CB spots. If they are able to handle their assignments, I say get Vincent into the FS spot right now. Let him and Milloy work some magic back there. If Vincent makes the transition (I think he will excel!), these guys could be the most solid S duo in the league.

Offseason?

Let Jennings go. Re-sign Williams. Trade Travis. DRAFT 7 OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! One or two of them HAVE to pan out! Go DE in Free Agency and the team is set!

Instead of all the incessant whining, let's hear some well thought out alternatives.  You don't like the play at safety?  What should we do about it?  Changes in the OL?  RB?  QB?  Let's hear 'em.

56412[/snapback]

Well...I would really like to defer completely because I fully believe (and stated so aboout a half a million times) the time to fix the problems was this past off Season with the cash that would have been saved by waiving DB...But seeing as though we are here now...

Get Wire out of there now...We all knew he was no good in Coverage, and now we are seeing first hand what the lack of those skills brings...Put Prioleau in with Reese because they have the most experience...

Insert Willis as the Short Yardage/Goal Line HB immediately. Heck you can even make him the sole 3rd Down HB. But he needs to play more and it may even help Travis concentrate better...

Let Drew play through the Baltimore Road Game, but if the Bills are no better than 2-4 after that Game, let the JP era begin vs. Arizona at Home...

Bench Josh Reed...I'm sick of this guy coming up short Game in and Game out...

Throw the Ball to Euhus more often...The Bills supposedly Drafted this Kid because he's such a great Pass Receiver, but zero catches in 3 Games when this Offense is screaming for a TE who can catch the damn Ball...

Work on nothing other than Blitz Pick-Up in Practice until The Bills can figure out how to burn Teams the way other NFL Teams do on a weekly basis. Of coarse those other Teams do not have Bledsoe at QB...

When Vincent comes back, move him to FS...McGee is to the point where he needs to be on the Field. He will make mistakes but he makes enough good plays to balance the equation. Kevin Thomas is a good Nickle DB anyway...

Forget about any O-Line changes because the Bills have no talent backing up to speak of. Hope beyond hope that these guys will get better as a group as the Season goes on. But for the love of God do something about the stupid ass False Start Penalties at Home. That is SO embarassing, and just think about how much worse it is going to get during tough, loud, Road Games...

Unfortunately...I saw this coming...My heart was telling me this could be a very good Team, my head was telling me 6-10, maybe 7-9 if we're lucky...This Roster was screaming for a talent influx, and the only way the Bills would have been able to do that was by waiving DB and using the money for the Roster overall... TD made this bed, and now we're all sleeping in it...Not much of a bed though...more like a coffin... :angry:

You don't like the play at safety?  What should we do about it?  Changes in the OL?  RB?  QB?

56412[/snapback]

SS: I'm pissed at Wire, and Prioleau should take his place now until Milloy returns.

FS: I'm pissed at Reese, but we're stuck with him; Prioleau at FS is no better, neither is Wire, Baker has been awful in all 3 games of his short NFL career, and Vincent is still needed at CB for this season. I don't know, maybe when Vincent returns from injury we could move McGee temporarily to FS. It's risky, but I really like McGee's potential as a ballhawk - something that Reese is not.

OL: The OL is a complete mess, but moving Williams to LG or anyone anywhere else at this point is very risky. Might as well have them continue working on the positions they had in the preseason. Continuity on the OL is our offense's only chance, assuming we still have one.

RB: I'm pissed at Henry, but we have little choice but to stick with him for now. I'm also pissed at Shelton, and McGahee - while not yet 100% - should nevertheless take Shelton's place immediately. That would at least make our offense more unpredictable even if the unpredictability still makes us predictably crappy. 2-back set with Henry and McGahee...couldn't make us any less productive, right? 10 friggin points per game...

QB: I'm pissed at Bledsoe, but we have no choice but to start him for now. When Losman is healthy and the season is a mathematical wash, then we can bring up this option.

SS: I'm pissed at Wire, and Prioleau should take his place now until Milloy returns.

FS: I'm pissed at Reese, but we're stuck with him; Prioleau at FS is no better, neither is Wire, Baker has been awful in all 3 games of his short NFL career, and Vincent is still needed at CB for this season. I don't know, maybe when Vincent returns from injury we could move McGee temporarily to FS. It's risky, but I really like McGee's potential as a ballhawk - something that Reese is not.

OL: The OL is a complete mess, but moving Williams to LG or anyone anywhere else at this point is very risky. Might as well have them continue working on the positions they had in the preseason. Continuity on the OL is our offense's only chance, assuming we still have one.

RB: I'm pissed at Henry, but we have little choice but to stick with him for now. I'm also pissed at Shelton, and McGahee - while not yet 100% - should nevertheless take Shelton's place immediately. That would at least make our offense more unpredictable even if the unpredictability still makes us predictably crappy. 2-back set with Henry and McGahee...couldn't make us any less productive, right? 10 friggin points per game...

QB: I'm pissed at Bledsoe, but we have no choice but to start him for now. When Losman is healthy and the season is a mathematical wash, then we can bring up this option.

56988[/snapback]

Good post. Right now, the OL and FS are the obvious problems. Neither were properly addressed during Donahoe's time here, in my opinion.

How to fix the OL? Let them continue to play together and develop some kind of familiarity at least. That's the best option now. We don't have any better options on the bench and I don't think there's much better we can get in free agency. We're stuck with what we have, which isn't much, to date.

FS? I really don't know. All have struggled in coverage and I don't think coverting someone like Vincent or McGee will help either. I guess we'll have to just hope someone will develop into a decent starter. I haven't seen anything to make me confident of this yet.

56988[/snapback]

I second everything about this post except moving McGee to FS.