Pete on Peters

Kelly the Dog

Okay, so some national guys are really smart, when they applaud the Bills of course. 0:) Pretty high praise though from Pete Prisco. At least he said he watched the game.

Change made easy

Making a position switch can be tough on a player, and it was no different for Buffalo Bills right tackle Jason Peters.

He came into the league in 2004 as a tight end from Arkansas. At 332 pounds, which is what he weighed at the combine, he had the athletic ability to play tight end, which he did his first season after trimming to 300 pounds.

But 300-pound tight ends don't make a lot of money. So when the Bills asked him to move to tackle on a permanent basis, Peters made the move.

"If I wanted the big money, I knew I had to make the move," Peters said.

He started 10 games in 2005 and is now the starting right tackle. What's more, he's one of the rising players in the league. By season's end, this athletic, powerful man -- whose weight is back to 332 pounds -- could be the best right tackle in football.

Watching him against the Dolphins Sunday was a treat. He showed his athletic ability in pass sets, yet showed power in his ability to block for the run. He plays with a nasty streak, too, which is remindful of former Cowboys tackle Erik Williams, who was one of the best when he played.

"I still have to work on some of the little things," Peters said. "I sometimes get too aggressive. But I feel like a tackle now."

He should. He's on his way to Pro Bowl status.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/9644480

Thats a really nice article for us. It's been a while since I have read anything as positive as that for one of our guys. Im a big fan of making the offensive line the #1 priority so this is especially nice to hear for me. I never knew Peters was so promising but the Bills line has looked good so far this season. Maybe Peters is a big reason for this.

We also just signed him to an extension too. Now if we could just get Joe Thomas in this upcoming draft ans a good young guard, we'd be set for a long time. 0:)

783658[/snapback]

That would make BillinNYC happy - and me too for that matter, but is that gonna happen? I dunno.

Okay, so some national guys are really smart, when they applaud the Bills of course. :) Pretty high praise though from Pete Prisco. At least he said he watched the game.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/9644480

783571[/snapback]

He plays with a nasty streak, too, which is remindful of former Cowboys tackle Erik Williams, who was one of the best when he played.

Smart? Fugger doesn't even know that Williams played for the Bucs. 0:)

Or a DE or a CB IMHO !

783777[/snapback]

I don't know the contract situation of Kelsay, but we are currently stacked at DE. Yes, I said that. Stacked!

If you want yet another first round defensive back, there is little I can say to you.

Me, I would rather the Bills go after a big, strong football player, but to each his own.

The selection of a DB will depend on Youboty. If he looks like a player, they'll likely take another position with the 1st pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still used a 3rd rounder on one.

Personally I think that the O-line should be addressed in FA, because I see the Bills moving Peters to LT and Gandy leaving for starting LT money next year. Ideally Butler will fill the hole at RT, but that remains to be seen. And if Preston can't become the starting RG, they'll need an upgrade there. Fowler and Reyes might be worth keeping, but since they're not all-pros, you could stand to upgrade there as well. But that's more fantasy than reality.

The Bills will have a big decision WRT LF-B, i.e. whether to give him the final, big money deal, or let him walk. I don't think DiGiorgio will be the heir-apparent, so this could be the position taken in the 1st round next year.

As for Kelsay, he'll be an UFA next year. He should be offered a similar deal to Denney.

And while the run-stopping of the D-line might be a concern, I'd like to see what a year in the Bills' strength and conditioning program does for guys like Tripplett and especially the rookies McCargo and Williams.

If Clements walks & Youboty isn't the guy, why do we have to spend a 1st round pick on DB again? Why couldn't we replace him via FA? I haven't looked at who might be available but what's wrong with the concept?

Willis is crazed, in my opinion. If he plays well this season, he has said that he's going to hold out for a better contract. (He said the same thing last season.) With a year left after 2006, I say trade him for a second rounder because Willis is gone almost no matter what. Same goes for Clements. Marv has promised not a tag him again and I don't see how we can offer "the playmaker" the kind of a money he thinks he deserves. A big question mark will be how sold the team is on Yobouty by the end of the year. If he's a starting DB, then I think we'll see the Bills go DE or OT, depending on what's on the board.

As for Peters, I think it's fantastic that he's getting this press. If he's truly a Pro Bowl OT, then we've got ourselves one of the great steals of the decade through 2010. Pasquarelli gave him a nice write-up on ESPN as well:

"If Barnes is an up-and-comer at left tackle, a right tackle to keep watching is Buffalo Bills' third-year pro Jason Peters, a former Arkansas tight end who made the roster as an undrafted college free agent in 2004, and who has made a terrific transition to tackle. Peters had a mind-boggling combine workout in 2004, still went undrafted, then became a standout on the kicking game for Bills special teams guru Bobby April.

Last season, the Buffalo coaches moved Peters to tackle and he not only started in 10 games, but played well enough for the Bills to reward him with a contract extension through 2010. Peters won't hit seven-figures in base salary until next season, when he will earn $1.5 million, and by then he will be an absolute bargain. Even if the final three years of the deal, with base salaries of $2.2 million (2008), $2.95 million (2009), and $3.4 million (2010), Peters eventually might be regarded as underpaid. The guy is a mauler and, for a right tackle, has really good feet and exceptional speed. "

Personally I think that the O-line should be addressed in FA, because I see the Bills moving Peters to LT and Gandy leaving for starting LT money next year.  Ideally Butler will fill the hole at RT, but that remains to be seen.  And if Preston can't become the starting RG, they'll need an upgrade there.  Fowler and Reyes might be worth keeping, but since they're not all-pros, you could stand to upgrade there as well.  But that's more fantasy than reality.

783783[/snapback]

Peters has been through a lot...going back and forth between TE and OT. I would leave him at ROT for 2006 plus another season. Gandy can leave for starting LT money, but he's borderline. We can do better and if we want to be competative, we have to do better. I'd be absolutely shocked if Preston isn't starting at C before the end of the year. Fowler, in my opinion, has looked awful in the first two games. The bills are running well over the right side, but the center is caving, especially in short yardage situations.

Peters has been through a lot...going back and forth between TE and OT. I would leave him at ROT for 2006 plus another season. Gandy can leave for starting LT money, but he's borderline. We can do better and if we want to be competative, we have to do better. I'd be absolutely shocked if Preston isn't starting at C before the end of the year. Fowler, in my opinion, has looked awful in the first two games. The bills are running well over the right side, but the center is caving, especially in short yardage situations.

Peters actually started-off working at LT after being moved from TE to OT. He was inserted at RT after Williams got injured. I think moving him back sooner rather than later, ESPECIALLY if Gandy bolts as I expect, is the way to go. Unless Pennington develops quickly at LT. I have more faith in Butler becoming a good RT though. As for Fowler, again I could go for an upgrade, but whom? I don't know if Preston has it. Merz? Who knows. But bottom line is that if ANYTHING, the Bills should concentrate fully on upgrading the O-line in FA next year.