It's As If ESPN Reads TBD

Alaska Darin

The Vikings' Brad Johnson is in his 13th season as an NFL quarterback. Asked how difficult it is for a rookie, he smiles and lets fly a would-be play: "U Shift Green, Left, West, F, Short, Spy, Two, Banana, Z, Over, Heads, Up, Four, 358, Smoke, Check, H, 2 Miami."

and that is on two Bennie, on TWO!

For the Retards - You KNOW who you are.

Even considering these quarterbacks played in relatively sophisticated college offenses, the volume of information is staggering. All things considered -- rookie minicamp, 17 designated on-site days and training camp -- a rookie quarterback has about 60 days to get it all down.

780713[/snapback]

Your point being? Like someone heredidn't know it wasn't easy for a rookie quarterback to start?

The Vikings' Brad Johnson is in his 13th season as an NFL quarterback. Asked how difficult it is for a rookie, he smiles and lets fly a would-be play: "U Shift Green, Left, West, F, Short, Spy, Two, Banana, Z, Over, Heads, Up, Four, 358, Smoke, Check, H, 2 Miami."

Does anyone know why the plays have to be so complicated?? It seems like a bit of over kill to me.

Does anyone know why the plays have to be so complicated??  It seems like a bit of over kill to me.

781292[/snapback]

It's a byproduct of all those 18-hour days the coaches spend at the office. Maybe they should go home and kick the dog a bit more instead...

Does anyone know why the plays have to be so complicated??  It seems like a bit of over kill to me.

781292[/snapback]

Easy:

You have the formation, alignment, motion, each receiver's route, and the protection (and possibly the live color) - all of which is subject to change depending on the look you get.

It's a complicated fuggin' game.

Dont bother Darin. I dont think he reads what people say on this board. Its pretty obvious over the past few years that people think that Losman should be throwing for 3,000 yards

781323[/snapback]

You're preaching to the choir, man. Unfortunately, my personal discipline goes out the window when Tennyboy is tossing his special brand of stupidity around.

Easy:

You have the formation, alignment, motion, each receiver's route, and the protection (and possibly the live color) - all of which is subject to change depending on the look you get.

781315[/snapback]

I understand all that, but why not just say it all. Why must they speak in tongues? Does the defense hear the play call? I've never played football at any level, so in this regard I'm ignorant.

Easy:

781315[/snapback]

Most teams now call 2 plays as well in the huddle. One pass and one run. So double that.

As for why they speak in tongues, it's just simplier (believe it or not) once you get the vocab down.

It's shorter to say "F" or "Check" than "Skinny Post, Dig Route, 10 Yard In" etc, etc. Each "route" isn't just: Post, Fly, In, Out, Hook...it has a different name depending on the distance of the cuts the WR makes.

Same for protection -- it sounds complicated (and it is) but once you learn the language it's more efficent. I didn't believe it till I got to college ball and had to deal with it. It just clicks eventually. But it took a while...and I wasn't a QB.

But the new vocab is always the hardest part for the players to learn when they get a new coordinator. Offensive systems aren't all that different, but each coach has their own vocab that takes time to learn.

Most teams now call 2 plays as well in the huddle. One pass and one run. So double that.

As for why they speak in tongues, it's just simplier (believe it or not) once you get the vocab down.

It's shorter to say "F" or "Check" than "Skinny Post, Dig Route, 10 Yard In" etc, etc. Each "route" isn't just: Post, Fly, In, Out, Hook...it has a different name depending on the distance of the cuts the WR makes.

Same for protection -- it sounds complicated (and it is) but once you learn the language it's more efficent. I didn't believe it till I got to college ball and had to deal with it. It just clicks eventually. But it took a while...and I wasn't a QB.

But the new vocab is always the hardest part for the players to learn when they get a new coordinator. Offensive systems aren't all that different, but each coach has their own vocab that takes time to learn.

781356[/snapback]

Certainly makes sense when you put it like that. Thanks!