Barry Sanders highlight reel

Orton's Arm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Him and Jim Brown. Both put up some of the best numbers ever despite no supporting cast.

773619[/snapback]

I was not alive to see Jim Brown play so Im not really sure what the fuss is about him. His numbers were good but not over-the-top amazing. I mean they remind me of Shaun Alexanders numbers. Every year just consistent 1300+ yards and 10+ TD's ....

I was not alive to see Jim Brown play so Im not really sure what the fuss is about him. His numbers were good but not over-the-top amazing. I mean they remind me of Shaun Alexanders numbers. Every year just consistent 1300+ yards and 10+ TD's ....

That was over a 12 game season. Extrapolate the #s.

I too, was too young to watch him play but based on his production, I'd say he was a man among boys.

Barry Sanders was great. I wish at some point in my life that I could change direction like that. And at Oklahoma State, okay Thurman take a breather. Sanders your in. It is too bad Sanders left so early.

I have seen some highlights of Gale Sayers that are absolutely amazing. His kickoff returns were a thing of beauty.

Lol.. I like the one where he doesnt even use his blocker.. just rights right between the tackler and the blocker and takes off. And then the one where he is running on the sidelines and his blocker is keeping the tackler inside.. and he just runs inside both of them before the guy trying to make the tackle knew what happened barry was gone.

Man that guy is fast. Big risk big reward type runner.

And I did see some illegal blocks (or should I say tackles?)

Before I open this let me just say.  Before anyone else does...  He was the best ever.

773607[/snapback]

I may be a "youngin" but IMO, he was the best RB ever. Seriously, think if he would have had a line/played a full carreer/been on a good team. There wouldn't even be a discussion.

Before I open this let me just say.  Before anyone else does...  He was the best ever.

773607[/snapback]

That guy could defy gravity. I loved watching him play.

I used to love that high step kick thing he did as he was breaking that last tackle to get in the open field. Every time you saw that, no matter where he was on the field, you could pretty much count it as a TD.

I think the motto of that whole offense must have been "NEVER STOP BLOCKING....EVER!!"

773622[/snapback]

Over a 16-game season that works out to more than 1700 yards per season and 13-14 TDs--and this is his AVERAGE, not his best season.

He was amazing. Yet what some people dont remember is that for every long run he had, he also had a negative run or two. Heck. He was probably stuffed on 4th and 1 once or twice.  :doh:

773608[/snapback]

Yeah whatever; HATER! Give him half the line Emmit had then he would have really been untouchable. I don't know why he wasn't used on screen play at least 5 times a game.

What about OJ with his 2003 yard season in a 14 game year? :doh:

Being in michigan i felt pretty abused when Barry quit. Most diehard lions fans said they understood that it sucks being on a crap team all the time, but plenty of atheletes get through that. Since his retirement, there has been literally nothing to watch on fox on sunday. (Not to mention that the entire nfc north blows... so most of the lions opponents are boring too.)

And they weren't horrible... They went to the 91 nfc championship (but got stomped 41-3).

He was amazing. Yet what some people dont remember is that for every long run he had, he also had a negative run or two. Heck. He was probably stuffed on 4th and 1 once or twice.  :doh:

773608[/snapback]

I saw Detroit play the Giants at the Meadowlands in the early 90s. My friend had a client who had tickets - about 30 rows up on the 30 yrd line behind the Detroit bench. I obviously had seen Sanders play on TV and the highlight reel - but what I saw that day of him live was in a word unbelievable.

The thing is, with the Run and Shoot (and the quality of the Detroit team overall), you can't beleive how many times he would get a handoff or a dump pass in the flat or over the middle and have a guy *right there* ready to nail him. I don't even think he had a "great" game that day - but to see his instantaneous reaction as soon as he touched the ball (sometimes it seemed *before* he touched it) was unbelievable. To see it live and up close was almost incomprehensible. It was like he was running for his life every time he touched the ball - at a different speed than everyone else. Even what might normally seem like an 'unremarkable play' on TV - to see it live, and see what he did to even get a short gain out of nothing - to see him move and react so quickly, it was mind blowing. To see what he had to do to just get something out of a play (and not get killed). It seemed just constant the whole day - fighting for his life everytime he touched the ball - within a hair of getting killed from initial contact so many times - turning around and *just* making that first guy miss a little - a guy standing *right there* ready to kill him. "How did he do that!". It was that way the whole game - no big holes or open lanes - he did it all himself. I've never been more impressed with the physical gifts of an athlete than I was that day.

773608[/snapback]

And I bet Barry was stuffed on 4th and 1 and actually thought it was 3rd down....