Barry Sanders highlight reel

Orton's Arm

During Brown's tenure, Cleveland won a NFL championship and lost 2 others. Also, posted 9 consecutive winning seasons.

Decent cast I'd say.

773633[/snapback]

AND 8 league rushing titles in 9 seasons

AND a ridiculous 5.2 career yard per rush average

AND a record 5 seasons leading the league in total yards

AND one 5 TD game

AND 4 games w/ 4 TDs

AND 1,000 or more yards in 7 of 9 seasons (back in the 12 game season days)

AND the first player to reach 100 rushing TDs in a career

AND he never missed a game in his career

Yeah, he was okay.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AND one 5 TD game

AND 4 games w/ 4 TDs

Yeah, he was okay.

773743[/snapback]

Nice.

AND one 5 TD game

AND 4 games w/ 4 TDs

Yeah, he was okay.

773743[/snapback]

Not to mention (and I am not sure if I am right about this) Brown is considered the best LaCrosse player, maybe ever, when he was at Syracuse.

Yeah whatever; HATER! Give him half the line Emmit had then he would have really been untouchable. I don't know why he wasn't used on screen play at least 5 times a game.

773687[/snapback]

Actually to further my point, Barry Sanders holds the records for the most negative yards by a RB ... EVER ... over 1,100 negative yards. Which ammounts up to over 105 yards per season in negative yards. Which would have brought his average up to over 6 yards per carry. **All this information was from a video.

And give him the line Emmit had???? Barry hardly used his blockers. It seemed as if he just made his own plays.

AND one 5 TD game

AND 4 games w/ 4 TDs

Yeah, he was okay.

773743[/snapback]

Dont get me wrong. Im not saying he is bad. But am I the only one who thinks that defenses are much bigger, faster, and more complex now? So I certainly dont think stats from the 50's, or 60's, or maybe even early 70's can compare to now. Players use performance enhancing drugs, whether you choose to believe or not. Their weight rooms are amazing. The trainers know what there doing and players are huge now compared to then, and not only are they huge, but those huge players are FAST. Thats my point. Of course all of the old timers will hate this post because they loved their beloved 50's and 60's players.

Dont get me wrong. Im not saying he is bad. But am I the only one who thinks that defenses are much bigger, faster, and more complex now? So I certainly dont think stats from the 50's, or 60's, or maybe even early 70's can compare to now. Players use performance enhancing drugs, whether you choose to believe or not. Their weight rooms are amazing. The trainers know what there doing and players are huge now compared to then, and not only are they huge, but those huge players are FAST. Thats my point. Of course all of the old timers will hate this post because they loved their beloved 50's and 60's players.

773799[/snapback]

You're right, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now: ALL players, meaning not only the defensive players chasing RBs, but the RBs themselves.

Put Jim Brown in Barry Sanders' era, and he is trained the same way Barry Sanders is. Considering how Jim Brown dominated his era (more than any RB has dominated ANY era), just imagine what he'd do in current times. The guy was able to rush for over 1,800 yards in 1963, w/ the training available to him @ the time. You think there's a chance that he could improve on that w/ the advancements made since then?

I don't "hate" on posts, I just have respect for the game, meaning not just the guys I see on TV, but those who paved their way.

And give him the line Emmit had???? Barry hardly used his blockers.

:doh:

So basically Barry was tackling himself on all these negative runs you've pointed out? Give me a break....Barry would have been even more dangerous with a better line.

Actually to further my point, Barry Sanders holds the records for the most negative yards by a RB ... EVER ... over 1,100 negative yards. Which ammounts up to over 105 yards per season in negative yards. Which would have brought his average up to over 6 yards per carry. **All this information was from a video.

And give him the line Emmit had???? Barry hardly used his blockers. It seemed as if he just made his own plays.

773794[/snapback]

As I said before: HATER! The Lions best running plays were DRAW plays to Barry. When Barry seen a whole he exploded through it and was on to the next level making defenders look silly. While he wouldn't be as effective following a FB through a specific gap, if you put him a system such as the Colts or Bronco's where they strecth out defnders and allowed Barry to find a crease he would have been unstoppable! The season in which his blocking was better that allowed him to get to the 2nd level, all he did was gain 2000 yards!

Barry was fun to watch... he'd squeeze into the bottom of my Top 10 RBs Ever list.

773822[/snapback]

Barry Sanders was the most talented halfback in the history of the NFL.

If he had played on better teams, none of us today would be questioning the above statement. He would have had the personal stats to back it all up.

But unfortunately, nowadays you always hear people say "well so-and-so wasn't THAT great because he never won a Super Bowl ring." I !@#$ing HATE that reasoning. Football is a team sport played by at least 22 guys plus a kicker and punter, not to mention the influence of the coaching staff. One guy can't do it all.

Barry Sanders was the most talented halfback in the history of the NFL.

If he had played on better teams, none of us today would be questioning the above statement. He would have had the personal stats to back it all up.

But unfortunately, nowadays you always hear people say "well so-and-so wasn't THAT great because he never won a Super Bowl ring." I !@#$ing HATE that reasoning. Football is a team sport played by at least 22 guys plus a kicker and punter, not to mention the influence of the coaching staff. One guy can't do it all.

773935[/snapback]

I hear ya.

Too much is made of winning a championship. It's wonderful, but let's not diminish the accomplishments of others because they never did win a title. Personally, I'd put Barry above any RB other than Jim Brown and Walter Payton, just ahead of Gale Sayers and TMEP.

He was amazing. Yet what some people dont remember is that for every long run he had, he also had a negative run or two. Heck. He was probably stuffed on 4th and 1 once or twice.  :doh:

773608[/snapback]

Barry Sanders was one of the best ever RB's. Probably the single most elusive player ever in the NFL.

Whats funny is that heres a typical chart for Barry's rushes.

1, -1, -2, -1, 2, 65, 1, 4, -2, -1, -1, 1, 81, 1, -1, 47...

I was looking at youtube, and I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZhwb7H7pI&NR

773606[/snapback]

The guy played against the Bills, what, maybe four times in his career, and the entire first half of the reel is him slicing through, around, or over our D. The Bills really are highlight fodder for other teams, eh?

Regardless, ya gotta love Rodney Peete (?) signalling the TD as Barry crosses the twenty with four defenders directly in front of him.

I think Barry is the best ever. Jim Brown was pretty incredible, but played a different game in a different era. That conversation turns into a Babe Ruth vs. Barry Bonds discussion.

The ideas about dancing and not using holes and getting stopped for a loss makes me laugh a little bit. He did what he did, and it is make believe to talk about him in a different situation, but do many of you remember the teams he played on? Do you think many of the opposing defensive coordinators said "today we have to stop the pass!"?

Put him in Jim Brown's era and he might not get tackled at all.

Put him on Emmitt's Cowboys and...well let's not go there (like putting Pujols in Coors field). You saw what he did when the entire D keyed on him, got penetration against a weak line that didn't create holes. Put him on a balanced team with a HOF QB and an HOF receiver and a stud line? Wow...

And every Thankgiving we got to see him and Emmitt both play, and no offense to Smith, but it was no contest. When Barry retired it was like Michael Jordan the first time...you kept wanting to say "but...c'mon...come back...I just want to see one more game..."

The guy played against the Bills, what, maybe four times in his career, and the entire first half of the reel is him slicing through, around, or over our D. The Bills really are highlight fodder for other teams, eh?

774026[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing! Now that spin move on the goal line for a TD was a no-brainer; maybe the one where he put his hand down and regain his balance after C. Bennet slung him but the rest were kind of questinable regarding the Bills

I was looking at youtube, and I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZhwb7H7pI&NR

773606[/snapback]

That video is just full of ridiculous runs, including a couple against the "glory days" Bills. The move he put on Talley was sick.

Just imagine what he would have done behind the o-lines that Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith or even Thurman had. Sanders would own every record by a mile.

His sudden exit from he league was one of the biggest sports stories to ever fly under the radar. Here is arguably the best back ever just quitting while he was still great, and it really received very little national media coverage.