Will McGahee Still Play for the Bills?

TNBillFan

The Bills put a lot of trust in a wild card choice a few years ago by picking McGahee. He was a terrific college runner until his injury and, initially, he showed great promise as a pro. He returned to the game after his injury like he had something to prove and he provided the Bills with a lot of initial production and promise. Other backs were shipped out or went undrafted in reliance on McGahee's expected continued development. More recently, however, he reminds me of Jamal Lewis' last year at Tennessee. Lewis seemed to be "saving himself" for his future NFL career and Travis Henry pretty well chased Jamal out of Knoxville and into the pros. Is McGahee still capable of being an elite back and, if the answer is yes, is he holding back waiting for his second "big market" team with an accompanying big contract?

It's time to stop blaming the line (it was worse his first year) and it's time to stop dancing toward the hole---unless, of course, he's saving himself for the future. I honestly think the Bills should have taken 3 points last week, but a decision was made and it is hard to believe that an elite back wouldn't have picked up 3 feet. Is this guy finished with Buffalo?

The Bills put a lot of trust in a wild card choice a few years ago by picking McGahee.  He was a terrific college runner until his injury and, initially, he showed great promise as a pro.  He returned to the game after his injury like he had something to prove and he provided the Bills with a lot of initial production and promise.  Other backs were shipped out or went undrafted in reliance on McGahee's expected continued development.  More recently, however, he reminds me of Jamal Lewis' last year at Tennessee.  Lewis seemed to be "saving himself" for his future NFL career and Travis Henry pretty well chased Jamal out of Knoxville and into the pros.  Is McGahee still capable of being an elite back and, if the answer is yes, is he holding back waiting for his second "big market" team with an accompanying big contract?

It's time to stop blaming the line (it was worse his first year) and it's time to stop dancing toward the hole---unless, of course, he's saving himself for the future.  I honestly think the Bills should have taken 3 points last week, but a decision was made and it is hard to believe that an elite back wouldn't have picked up 3 feet.  Is this guy finished with Buffalo?

773261[/snapback]

It is still unknown. Willis has made strides and has said things that would make one believe that he will find a perminant home in Buffalo, but his personality does not seem to fit the Buffalo frame of mind.

I think it all truly hinges on this year. If Willis does poorly, i think you will see him book for the team that is closest to the equator. If Willis has moderate success and the team does well, he will stay. If he does exceptionally well and makes it to a Pro Bowl, he will leave, no doubt in my mind.

The other thing that decides the continuence or severence of tenure or departure of McGahee depends on if he feels the love from the fans. His first year in Buffalo when he was back from his injury, he was treated as a god and the fans loved everytime he touched the ball. If the fans surround McGahee and show him the kind of attention he thinks he deserves, then he will stay in Buffalo. If not, he's taking a flight on Southwestern

The Bills put a lot of trust in a wild card choice a few years ago by picking McGahee.  He was a terrific college runner until his injury and, initially, he showed great promise as a pro.  He returned to the game after his injury like he had something to prove and he provided the Bills with a lot of initial production and promise.  Other backs were shipped out or went undrafted in reliance on McGahee's expected continued development.  More recently, however, he reminds me of Jamal Lewis' last year at Tennessee.  Lewis seemed to be "saving himself" for his future NFL career and Travis Henry pretty well chased Jamal out of Knoxville and into the pros.  Is McGahee still capable of being an elite back and, if the answer is yes, is he holding back waiting for his second "big market" team with an accompanying big contract?

It's time to stop blaming the line (it was worse his first year) and it's time to stop dancing toward the hole---unless, of course, he's saving himself for the future.  I honestly think the Bills should have taken 3 points last week, but a decision was made and it is hard to believe that an elite back wouldn't have picked up 3 feet.  Is this guy finished with Buffalo?

773261[/snapback]

Sorry, you missed it. Bashing willis was scheduled for monday 9/11 and tuesday 9/12. Currently we are bashing TKO. Next time please consult the schedule given to you. Thanks.

The OP said it.

773277[/snapback]

Oh well, i think college is a little different, especially at skill positions that require speed. If you are playing in the humanitarian bowl, and you are going to be a top 10 pick, are you going to lay it all on the line and risk injury?

Sorry, you missed it. Bashing willis was scheduled for monday 9/11 and tuesday 9/12. Currently we are bashing TKO. Next time please consult the schedule given to you. Thanks.

773271[/snapback]

I'm not bashing McGahee. I asked a question.

If you honestly see the same fire in his belly to excel in Buffalo that similarly gifted backs like Cookie, O.J., Cribbs and Thurman had, among others, I'll respect your opinion. With the exception, probably of OJ, he may be the most gifted athlete of all of the Bills' backs, but for whatever reason, his performance is falling short of their standards. What I've seen are lots of yards early on against weaker defenses and pretty mediocre performances against top teams, especially more recently.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. I didn't realize posts that weren't all happy weren't welcome here.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.  I didn't realize posts that weren't all happy weren't welcome here.

773294[/snapback]

Check out <gasp> page 2 or 3 of the forum, and look for the 50 or so threads from the last few days on willis. Also included in there in a complete breakdown of the 4th and 1 play, where willis only "danced" because fowler got blown up back into willis. When willis side stepped, he hit the open hole, but by then don davis had shot the gap created by fowler getting wrecked and got a hold of willis.

Willis didnt have to dance, he could have plowed into the line like you wanted, but he would have lost 3 yards instead of even having a chance of making the first down.

Oh well, i think college is a little different, especially at skill positions that require speed. If you are playing in the humanitarian bowl, and you are going to be a top 10 pick, are you going to lay it all on the line and risk injury?

773286[/snapback]

You may be right about college v. pros on this issue. There is no question it happens in college. The theory goes that running backs, for example, have a limited number of plays that their bodies can take, so save them for the next level. This was a big discussion when Lewis tailed off and Henry came on strong at Tennessee. I just wonder if a similar theory affects different levels in the pro game, especially considering there are venues that are seen as more attractive than the small market arenas.

Check out <gasp> page 2 or 3 of the forum, and look for the 50 or so threads from the last few days on willis. Also included in there in a complete breakdown of the 4th and 1 play, where willis only "danced" because fowler got blown up back into willis. When willis side stepped, he hit the open hole, but by then don davis had shot the gap created by fowler getting wrecked and got a hold of willis.

Willis didnt have to dance, he could have plowed into the line like you wanted, but he would have lost 3 yards instead of even having a chance of making the first down.

773303[/snapback]

Thanks for the orientation. I haven't had time to read "the 50 or so threads from the last few days" on McGahee. I don't have the chance to review all of the earlier posts. I just wanted to ask a question/make an observation on your forum.

Ramius, no one wanted McGahee to plow into his blockers. I personally thought taking 3 points was the prudent, conservative course and I ws a little surprised at the play selection. I also realize not every play can work---blockers get blown up, backs get tackled for losses, defenders make plays. I wish the play had worked but it's not the dancing on that play that I am concerned with. I'm concerned with his total body of work up to now.

But my point seems lost on someone who doesn't agree or isn't seeing the same issue and that is okay. We will both survive and so will the Bills. Go in peace.

773271[/snapback]

Very funny.

By the way, I love the avatar. Even though I am a UM fan, I love the Cowgirls.

I'm not bashing McGahee.  I asked a question. 

If you honestly see the same fire in his belly to excel in Buffalo that similarly gifted backs like Cookie, O.J., Cribbs and Thurman had, among others, I'll respect your opinion.  With the exception, probably of OJ, he may be the most gifted athlete of all of the Bills' backs, but for whatever reason, his performance is falling short of their standards.  What I've seen are lots of yards early on against weaker defenses and pretty mediocre performances against top teams, especially more recently. 

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.  I didn't realize posts that weren't all happy weren't welcome here.

773294[/snapback]

McGahee isn't nearly as "gifted" (whatever that means) as Thurman Thomas. Whatever it means, let me put it this way: McGahee couldn't tie Thurman's shoes. I can't think of one "gifted" moment that McGahee has had. Thurman, in nearly every game for nearly a decade, was a revelation.

:

But my point seems lost on someone who doesn't agree or isn't seeing the same issue and that is okay.  We will both survive and so will the Bills.  Go in peace.

773316[/snapback]

Welcome to the forum :D

Here's a serious answer: I doubt it very very much, at least right now. I don't see the fire in the belly, but I don't think it's because he thinks he's on his way out. But if the season goes bad you might see him holding back starting around week 12.

It's time to stop blaming the line (it was worse his first year) and it's time to stop dancing toward the hole---unless, of course, he's saving himself for the future.

773261[/snapback]

His OL was NOT worse in 2004.

In 04, CV had his best games as a Bill.

Jonas Jennings was healthy for the bulk of the season and when he was, he was clearly superior to Gandy. It wasn't close imo, and their respective contracts would reflect this.

If there ever was a time that Mike Williams didn't suck, it was mid 2004. He was even given a game ball on 10/31/04.

Thurman was much smaller than Willis, and was a totally different type of back. I don't know how old you are, but you might have heard of Larry Czonka, a HUGE rb. He played behind a very good dolphin line. He followed an OG named Larry Little, and they took each other to Canton. He signed with the giants as a ufa, ran behind a piss poor line, and was soon out of football.

Bigger backs need bigger holes. They are almost always not as quick; their yardage is generally gained when they are given room to develop a head of steam if you will. If you watched John Riggins behind the Hogs, you know what I mean.

For a decade, the Bills have built their football team on defensive backs, an injured running back, a not so mobile qb, a 150 lb. receiver, a rookie qb with no blocking, etc., all behind suckass lines, and they have given away draft picks to create this disaster.

THIS is why we continue to lose.

Our attempts to bring blockers to Buffalo has been either a nightmare (a #4 on a fat RT, while saying no to 2 LTs), or a complete afterthought ( in almost every draft including 06).

Barry Sanders ran all over the place behind a not so great OL. Iirc, he spent lots of time in a dome or 2. Not many other have ever done so, and look at who we are talking about!

Willis MaGahee is a big back who has compiled pretty good yardage while running behind misfits and castoffs, this primarily in the cold.

He is getting WAY too much grief imo.

....Is McGahee still capable of being an elite back and, if the answer is yes, is he holding back waiting for his second "big market" team with an accompanying big contract?.....

773261[/snapback]

.....But if the season goes bad you might see him holding back starting around week 12.

773442[/snapback]

This concept has been continually put forward & it makes no logical sense.

WM has 1 chance for a mega-deal. He gets no second chance. He is out of contract at the end of next season(2007). He has only this year & next year to prove he is an elite back so he can get the mega-deal.

If he does things like.....

Reduce his output yards....ypa....TDs...

Display obvious lack of effort because the season is lost....

Flub a 4th & 1 attempt which gets shown on the national highlight shows....

He will not be perceived as an elite back & will not get the mega-deal.

As I said, he gets one chance. His next contract will be his big money contract. It makes sense to slacken off after he has that contract.....not before. By the time he gets to the end of that contract, he will be close to retirement age. It is right now that he will be wanting to show his stuff....not after he gets the $$$$ :doh:

Rediculous to think he's not giving it his best...I just don't buy that.

773468[/snapback]

I agree and I refuse to bash Willis. Alot of people said last year he failed to get to the holes fast enough... What holes? Now I'am reading that people are saying he's dancing around too much. News flash----> The running lanes were scarce this past weekend as well. Do people expect him to create holes or just wedge himself between the gaurd and the tackle. What Willis is doing is waiting for the play to develop, then hitting the hole. Not just driving his head into the back of an olineman. McGahee and Spikes are (like it or not) the "stamps" of the franchise and they seats along with merchandise. I still truly believe that in order for this team to succeed on offense Willis has to touch the ball 30+ times a game.