The safety...

gsurdam

I don't know if anyone else has posted this or not. And , I know there isn't anything that can be done to change things... But , if you have the game Tivoed or taped or can see another replay on NFL network, watch the play right before Losman gets sacked for the safety. The nose guard is off sides !!! Once again screwed by Officials in New England. If that penalty had been enforced Losman would not have been back in the end zone.

I also don't know why there wasn't a roughing the kicker call made on the punt that Brian Moorman got run over completely on in the fourth quarter. Was I the only one that saw that ? The announcers didn't even mention it...

The whole officiating result of this game is pretty pathetic actually but there is little that can be done about it. Even if the NFL were to take the maximum harsh action of saying whhoops as they did regarding several game turning calls in the Oakland game in 2004 it makes little difference.

One should expect fans on the losing side to simply shout we got jobbed by the refs whether they did or not. However in this case:

1. There was a clear disparity in the amount of fouls called upon the Bills and the lack of fouls called upon the Pats.

2. Certainly part of this disparity can be rationally explained in that a team startung a bunch of rookies made a lot more mistakes than a vet team with 3 recent SB wins.

3. But, the silliness and obvious mistakes of some of the call such as the whistle after the Whitner INT raises serious questions about the quality of officiating in this game that even a Pats fan should acknowledge raises a legitimate question as to whether it was ref mistakes versus team quality that strongly influenced the outcome of this game. A reasonable person might concude that the ref errors were of no impact ultimately but they should also acknowledge this is a legit item for debate,

4. The flawless on field performance (the 1 penalty on the Pats was a substitution error and not a player failure) as they we called for 1 (ONE- count 'em) penalty seems pretty unlikely in s game where big guys are moving so fast and furiously it is often said that a penalty could be called on every play). Once you acknowledge that the issue is debatable due to the disparity of the calls made and the blatancy of some of the errors, then this issue is in play.

5. The most clear case of game altering calls is actually found in the non-calls by the officials. On punts sometimes a player is blocked into the kicker and the roughing call is a judgment. However, when this happens at least a couple of times and multiple players hit the kicker this becomes really questionable.

In the end, nothing was so blatant as the refs blowing the coin flip in one Turkey Day game (and there was nothing the league could do about that and in addition they chose to give the ref who blew it Phil Luckett kudos for his other calls that season). However, this effect should be noted. The rebuilding Bills should take some solace in knowing that they are obviously flawed but on this Sunday referee intervention was necessary to assure the Pats a narrow win.

Pats fans should also note that they are 1-0 with a win in the division and the facts are that is where this team should be in meeting minimal goals. However, they should not feel extremely confident based on this result as though they have been fortunate to get application of the tuck rule and also a fortunate injury to Bledsoe in 2001, they have probably already used up a lot o their lucky breaks this season merely to get past the rebuilding Bills.

If the refs give us a blatant break when the Pats come here, I will not feel guilty about it at all.

I thought the refs missed a lot of line infractions. On the fumbled shotgun snap over Losman's head, it looked like the whole left side of our o-line false started. I can recall 4 or 5 plays just like that, where offsides or false start or something should have been called. Whoever were the sideline judges were terrible.

On the safety play, it should have never happened. We should have run a draw and punted. I blame the play calling on that one more than Losman or the officials.

I thought the refs missed a lot of line infractions. On the fumbled shotgun snap over Losman's head, it looked like the whole left side of our o-line false started. I can recall 4 or 5 plays just like that, where offsides or false start or something should have been called. Whoever were the sideline judges were terrible.

On the safety play, it should have never happened. We should have run a draw and punted. I blame the play calling on that one more than Losman or the officials.

772632[/snapback]

There were actually a handful of plays in the first half where I thought our offensive line false started, but it was never called. I was shocked.

Line officials aren't going to miss those calls. At least 3 times it looked like more then half the line was offsides when they really weren't. Fowler snapped the ball and part of the right side was slower to react I think. A couple times it took Losman a while just to get the ball from Fowler.

The whole officiating result of this game is pretty pathetic actually but there is little that can be done about it.  Even if the NFL were to take the maximum harsh action of saying whhoops  as they did regarding several game turning calls in the Oakland game in 2004 it makes little difference.

One should expect fans on the losing side to simply shout we got jobbed by the refs whether they did or not.  However in this case:

1. There was a clear disparity in the amount of fouls called upon the Bills and the lack of fouls called upon the Pats.

2. Certainly part of this disparity can be rationally explained in that a team startung a bunch of rookies made a lot more mistakes than a vet team with 3 recent SB wins.

3. But, the silliness and obvious mistakes of some of the call such as the whistle after the Whitner INT raises serious questions about the quality of officiating in this game that even a Pats fan should acknowledge raises a legitimate question as to whether it was ref mistakes versus team quality that strongly influenced the outcome of this game.  A reasonable person might concude that the ref errors were of no impact ultimately but they should also acknowledge this is a legit item for debate,

4. The flawless on field performance (the 1 penalty on the Pats was a substitution error and not a player failure) as they we called for 1 (ONE- count 'em) penalty seems pretty unlikely in s game where big guys are moving so fast and furiously it is  often said that a penalty could be called on every play).  Once you acknowledge that the issue is debatable due to the disparity of the calls made and the blatancy of some of the errors, then this issue is in play.

5.  The most clear case of game altering calls is actually found in the non-calls by the officials.  On punts sometimes a player is blocked into the kicker and the roughing call is a judgment. However, when this happens at least a couple of times and multiple players hit the kicker this becomes really questionable.

In the end, nothing was so blatant as the refs blowing the coin flip in one Turkey Day game (and there was nothing the league could do about that and in addition they chose to give the ref who blew it Phil Luckett kudos for his other calls that season).  However, this effect should be noted.  The rebuilding Bills should take some solace in knowing that they are obviously flawed but on this Sunday referee intervention was necessary to assure the Pats a narrow win.

Pats fans should also note that they are 1-0 with a win in the division and the facts are that is where this team should be in meeting minimal goals.  However, they should not feel extremely confident based on this result as though they have been fortunate to get application of the tuck rule and also a fortunate injury to Bledsoe in 2001, they have probably already used up a lot o their lucky breaks this season merely to get past the rebuilding Bills.

If the refs give us a blatant break when the Pats come here, I will not feel guilty about it at all.

772628[/snapback]

Where do they find these guys ? The NFL should have the best of the best ! Not the worst of worst !

Line officials aren't going to miss those calls.

772798[/snapback]

Was it the Pitt v COlt-AFC Champ game last year... :rolleyes: The ref's made up something after i think the LT moved so clearly before any snap or any d movement, that was bizzare.

I follow the game on the net, but is this the sort of thing we're talking about as per ref'ing?