Can we please stop blaming JP for the sack?

Rubes

Did JP screw up by getting sacked in the end zone? Yes.

But last I checked football is a team game, and if there's one thing I took from that game, and that play, the sack was only in part due to JP's error.

I blame the mysterious, unnamed player who got the penalty on the kick return that backed us up inside the 10 to start with.

I blame the offensive line for not being able to handle the Pats pass rush anymore, unlike they were able to do in the first half. I blame the coaches for not figuring out what the Pats were doing to slice them up.

I also blame the coaches for the play call. A 7-step drop from the 8-yard line is just foolishness. By that time, the Pats were hot, the fans were screaming, and the Bills were backed up to the shadow of their own goal. The defense was bringing the heat. Where were the draw plays? Where were the quick slants? Where were the screen passes?

JP definitely needs to have a better feel for the rush and a better understanding of where he is on the field at the time. There is no excuse for taking that safety. But please, spare me. JP was only one piece of that sad story.

But last I checked football is a team game, and if there's one thing I took from that game, and that play, the sack was only in part due to JP's error.

I blame the mysterious, unnamed player who got the penalty on the kick return that backed us up inside the 10 to start with.

I blame the offensive line for not being able to handle the Pats pass rush anymore, unlike  they were able to do in the first half. I blame the coaches for not figuring out what the Pats were doing to slice them up.

I also blame the coaches for the play call. A 7-step drop from the 8-yard line is just foolishness. By that time, the Pats were hot, the fans were screaming, and the Bills were backed up to the shadow of their own goal. The defense was bringing the heat. Where were the draw plays? Where were the quick slants? Where were the screen passes?

JP definitely needs to have a better feel for the rush and a better understanding of where he is on the field at the time. There is no excuse for taking that safety. But please, spare me. JP was only one piece of that sad story.

769629[/snapback]

Maybe a little more playing time last year would have better prepared JP for that situation, thanks again MM..............

Does this really have to be a new thread?  LAMP!  Yeah, he screwed up and there's no excuse for it; and some other guys screwed up too.  Who is arguing?

769645[/snapback]

My apologies. Seems like most of the threads I'm reading are giving him the majority of the blame for the safety, and I just don't see it that way. I guess you saw it differently.

No, we cannot.

When you're inside the 10 yard line, a QB has to know that a 3-5 step drop puts him in dangerous territory. If it's a pass play, you get rid of the ball ASAP. You don't just sit there in the end zone waiting for a play to develop. First and foremost, a quarterback's job is to protect the ball, maintain posession.

JP screwed up. He also screwed up by taking that delay of game penaly -- as Phil Simms pointed out, there is no excuse for those types of mistakes from a QB. That said, he's a young QB and I thought he played pretty solid given it was opening day and in one of the NFL's most hostile environments.

I fully expect JP to learn from it and for it to not happen again.

I blame the offensive line for not being able to handle the Pats pass rush anymore, unlike  they were able to do in the first half. I blame the coaches for not figuring out what the Pats were doing to slice them up.

769629[/snapback]

769629[/snapback]

And don't forget whoever it was (McGee?) who made the brilliant decision to run the ball out from 5 yards deep on the KO.

They had some help from the refs, but the Bills blew this game with too many stupid penalties and missed opportunities. They reminded me of Penn State on Saturday -- a team with some nice upside but not the experience to handle the big situations against a more seasoned team.

Of course, you expect that with 19 years more than professionals.... :angry:

769713[/snapback]

You do? Based on what? You might recall he made a similar error last season in Tampa Bay. I actually blame JP and Steve Fairchild. When your QB and OC don't realize where they are on the field you've got trouble.

A coach has to put players in position to win. What was there about the second half that made anybody think an offensive line that couldn't convert 4th-and-1 was somehow going to give the QB enough protection to throw a deep pass from his own 8-yard-line?

The good news is these mistakes can be corrected this season. Even better, in my estimation, is the team fought hard. I said before the season progress would be remaining competitive in the 4th quarter. My criticisms notwithstanding I think the Bills--though they'll miss the playoffs--will be a very entertaining team to watch.

Does this really have to be a new thread?  LAMP! 

769645[/snapback]

So it goes with TSW these days.... :angry:

I agree with the thought that a 7-step drop pattern at that point in the game at that spot on the field was the wrong call to make. If there's blame to be laid (and I don't like to MMQB), it's on Fairchild, IMO, for not knowing what his o-line and JP are capable of .

I believe DJ said something to the same effect about his RBs. That may just be part of the growing pains this team and coaching staff will have to work through.

I agree with the thought that a 7-step drop pattern at that point in the game at that spot on the field was the wrong call to make.  If there's blame to be laid (and I don't like to MMQB), it's on Fairchild, IMO, for not knowing what his o-line and JP are capable of ..

770073[/snapback]

I for one am glad they are giving J.P. the keys to this thing.

When he picked up the over-his-head snap running toward the GOAL LINE on his FIRST pass attempt, I nearly choked on a piece of ham. The safety came from the same instinct -- make a play.

Who knows what he and this team are capable of ? They'll figure it out.

769629[/snapback]

I just saw the replay of the safety and I can't believe others haven't been saying the same thing - a 7-step drop from the 8? Why even take the chance of putting the QB near the goal line - you know, in case they bring a blitz, the center steps on the QB's foot, the RB can't pick someone up, runs into the QB - anything can happen. 3-5 step drop, get the ball out, if its not a good play, you can still punt.

No, we cannot.

When you're inside the 10 yard line, a QB has to know that a 3-5 step drop puts him in dangerous territory.  If it's a pass play, you get rid of the ball ASAP. You don't just sit there in the end zone waiting for a play to develop.  First and foremost, a quarterback's job is to protect the ball, maintain posession.

JP screwed up.  He also screwed up by taking that delay of game penaly -- as Phil Simms pointed out, there is no excuse for those types of mistakes from a QB.  That said, he's a young QB and I thought he played pretty solid given it was opening day and in one of the NFL's most hostile environments.

769713[/snapback]

Again, it was a 7-step drop, and it should have been a play that called for a 3-5. Maybe part of the learning experience is for JP and Fairchild to both realize that a 7-step drop might not be the right call that close to the goal line, and JP can call a TO or check into something quicker - a quick slant, dive play - something to avoid the safety.

Yeah b/c that's what I was implying <_<

I was just saying that given a 3 step drop, he should know he has to be careful and get rid of the ball early.

True.  It should have been a 1 step drop. :angry:

770041[/snapback]