McGahee - Definitely Overrated

SouthernMan

McGahee may be the most overrated player in the NFL. For some reason his publicity machine has no trouble getting him booked on sports talk forums and NFL promotional ads. Pretty good face exposure for a guy who is not much more than a very average starting running back.

Anyone who thinks he is a first-tier back is kidding themselves. He doesn't shed tackles all that well, doesn't really have much in the way of juke moves, not enough speed to beat defenders going to the outside, and now with his weight loss, he doen't even have the power to get the extra yard or two in a pile.

He did a good job of making something out of nothing on the one play where NE overpersued and he ran around to the left - I'll give him that.

A lot of his yardage is gained on draw plays where there aren't as many defenders stacked in the middle.

For some reason, the guy rubs me the wrong way. Always has. I think what bothers me most is that he acts like he's in the elite class of NFL players. 1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen in the 16 game schedule.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they shipped him down to Miami for a 3rd pick - which is about all he's worth.

I really like A-train and would love to see him be the starting RB.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGahee may be the most overrated player in the NFL. For some reason his publicity machine has no trouble getting him booked on sports talk forums and NFL promotional ads. Pretty good face exposure for a guy who is not much more than a very average starting running back.

Anyone who thinks he is a first-tier back is kidding themselves. He doesn't shed tackles all that well, doesn't really have much in the way of juke moves, not enough speed to beat defenders going to the outside, and now with his weight loss, he doen't even have the power to get the extra yard or two in a pile.

He did a good job of making something out of nothing on the one play where NE overpersued and he ran around to the left - I'll give him that.

A lot of his yardage is gained on draw plays where there aren't as many defenders stacked in the middle.

For some reason, the guy rubs me the wrong way. Always has. I think what bothers me most is that he acts like he's in the elite class of NFL players. 1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen in the 16 game schedule.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they shipped him down to Miami for a 3rd pick - which is about all he's worth.

769502[/snapback]

I've been saying this for a long, long time. WM is absolutely, positively, an average RB in this league. Don't give me all this BS about our line not creating holes, because regardless of what they create, WM is STILL average AT BEST. All this speed he supposedly has back this year is a load of crap from the same folks who have been hyping WM for the past 2 years. He was slow, hesitant, and mediocre yesterday, and anyone that didn't see that refuses to evaluate WM without their Bills rose-coloured glasses on. It says here, A-train is a better RB than Willis, no question, and should be the starter.

p.s. A-Train would have got the 4th and 1, and he surely wouldn't have been as idiotic as to think it was 3rd and 1.

769502[/snapback]

Hes become heartless.I dont think he likes playing for the bills having missed every mini camp,and not knowing what down it is.I woudnt mind if he was shipped out of here and we got a back that played with some passion

McGahee different! McGahee bad!

OOoooo, he rubs you the wrong way. trade him! sh--, buffalo should have traded bruce smith in his prime, because he was a bit of an a-hole.

Scrwe talent and winning! We need a team of players from up north just like us. Who cares that we'll go 1-15, at least our players wont "rub us the wrong way"

Scrwe talent and winning! We need a team of players from up north just like us. Who cares that we'll go 1-15, at least our players wont "rub us the wrong way"

769961[/snapback]

Talent and winning? Has McGahee really done anything that great in the league yet? He did say he was the best RB in the NFL last year, I guess that was nice.

He's a decent running back so far. That's about it. If the coaching staff thinks they can win with him, then I'll take their word for it. I don't think we have to get rid of him ASAP but I'm definitely not high on the guy at all.

Talent and winning?  Has McGahee really done anything that great in the league yet?  He did say he was the best RB in the NFL last year, I guess that was nice.

He's a decent running back so far.  That's about it.  If the coaching staff thinks they can win with him, then I'll take their word for it.  I don't think we have to get rid of him ASAP but I'm definitely not high on the guy at all.

769974[/snapback]

I'm not gonna make excuses for Willis, but that best RB in the league comment wasn't made as matter-of-factly as some like to believe.

I personally want my running back to have that attitude.

No way do I want Willis gone, he has the talent and ability, I just wish some people would be as critical of him as they are with others.

769502[/snapback]

So's Rudi Johnson...overrated. He put up big numbers in '03 with Kitna, and big numbers in '04 and '05 with Palmer.

Kitna was a decent enough qb. Palmer's better.

Common denominator? QB a defense pays attention to, good, deep line and WR corps. Makes an rb's job a lot easier...

While I'm not ready to anoint WM an elite back, I don't think we have seen the best of him yet. Last year was his first full year back from the knee injury (a knee injury which many say takes a full year of play before a back fully recovers), and last year he played behind a below average offensive line, without a passing game. This is not Thurman Thomas's offensive line!

This year, the o-line looks better, the passing game looks better, and the coaching looks better. If WM is going to show what he is made of, it will be this year.

Just my opinion...

McGahee different! McGahee bad!

OOoooo, he rubs you the wrong way. trade him! sh--, buffalo should have traded bruce smith in his prime, because he was a bit of an a-hole.

769961[/snapback]

Well said. He is physical freak and a weapon that the Bills will someday figure out how to use.

They have to find a way to put him in space. That broken swing pass that he turned into a highlight reel should not be something that happens only by accident.

The Willis claiming he's the best back in the league stuff is utter garbage.

While this is impossible to prove, I would be willing to bet that if you asked them in a blind test, how many running backs in the NFL actually believe in their heart of hearts that they are the best running back in the league, the number would be a helluva lot closer to 64 than 1 (meaning a starter and a back-up on every team). Willis simply said out loud what dozens and dozens of players feel and think and totally believe. They're wrong of course, but that's what they believe. And if they didnt believe it they probably wouldn't be in the NFL. Frankly, I commend Willis for coming out and saying it.

And I surely don't think he's the best RB in the league. And surely it leaves himself open for this mindless and useless criticism of him. But most players at all positions pretty much think they are the best or very close to the best in the league. And they're actually more full of it than Willis is by not admitting it.

769502[/snapback]

Anyone hear Jerome Bettis' throw Willis under him on the NBC pregame last night. Didn't run it up hard, there was a hole etc......

769961[/snapback]

where on earth did this come from? my gripe with mcgahee is with his play and the attitude that seems to go with that play. i loved him when he was up against henry because he seemed like he was busting his ass. now it just seems like he's going through motions. "No worries...I'm Willis McGahee. Sit down A-train, I'm the marquee name"

While I'm not ready to anoint WM an elite back, I don't think we have seen the best of him yet.  Last year was his first full year back from the knee injury (a knee injury which many say takes a full year of play before a back fully recovers), and last year he played behind a below average offensive line, without a passing game.  This is not Thurman Thomas's offensive line!

This year, the o-line looks better, the passing game looks better, and the coaching looks better.  If WM is going to show what he is made of, it will be this year.

Just my opinion...

770039[/snapback]

we've heard the same excuses made for rob johnson and drew bledsoe. "just surround him with the right people and he'll finally show us what he's made of"

Well said. He is physical freak and a weapon that the Bills will someday figure out how to use.

They have to find a way to put him in space. That broken swing pass that he turned into a highlight reel should not be something that happens only by accident.

770049[/snapback]

Oh please. People here need to learn how to evaluate a player objectiveley. I saw a dozen RBs in week 1 that are faster, run harder, and know how to hit the hole. Everyone always mentions Willis has no holes because he's so damn slow getting there. Anyone see TH yesterday? He could teach Willis how to run hard.

Oh please.  People here need to learn how to evaluate a player objectiveley.  I saw a dozen RBs in week 1 that are faster, run harder, and know how to hit the hole.  Everyone always mentions Willis has no holes because he's so damn slow getting there.  Anyone see TH yesterday?  He could teach Willis how to run hard.

770167[/snapback]

The sad part is half of the audience will view this as ignorance and half of the audience will view this as truth. :angry:

Oh please.  People here need to learn how to evaluate a player objectiveley.  I saw a dozen RBs in week 1 that are faster, run harder, and know how to hit the hole.  Everyone always mentions Willis has no holes because he's so damn slow getting there.  Anyone see TH yesterday?  He could teach Willis how to run hard.

770167[/snapback]

All of the very best running backs in the league, Alexander, LT, Johnson, Barber, Portis, etc., do not just run hard into the line every play. Each of them, for the most part, are pretty patient runners that look for holes, cut and then run hard. When they see space they run hard. So does Willis. When they don't, they stop, they cut back, they reverse field. They are a little quicker than Willis is at it right now but they all do the same thing. Travis Henry runs hard to the hole every play and is second string.

All of the very best running backs in the league, Alexander, LT, Johnson, Barber, Portis, etc., do not just run hard into the line every play. Each of them, for the most part, are pretty patient runners that look for holes, cut and then run hard. Travis Henry runs hard to the hole every play and is second string.

770176[/snapback]

Perfect, pin-point, right on the money (in my opinion) ... look at Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson throughout the game and see how many times they just drive themselves straight into the hole. Not very often. They are patient and let their line open holes for them ... oh thats right ... our line is currently not opening many holes.

willis no heart??????????

he only says they need to win for the city of buffalo, jumps in the stands after TDs and loves our fans...he DOES run with purpose...

he played amazing in the first half, and the line didnt open up any holes in the second half...he isnt superman, and cant do it all himself

you forget the play where he turned a loss into a 20 yrd gain, he had a lot of great runs in the first half...

he missed a 4th and 1...and everyone hates him????? Please people