Going for it on 4th down was like admitting

Bob in STL

Great point MDH - that's one of the reasons I would've kicked which gets overlooked; but it's really a marginal decision either way.

768913[/snapback]

Horrible point... You also are assuming that the Bill would have definitely made the field goal - but even that is not automatic (bad snaps, holds, kicks, etc.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the game at Gillette and was really interested on what the fan's response to the game would be.

It's tough to get perspective on all the plays from the stands, and our replay angle was pretty bad. There were a number of things to complain about, if copmplaining is your forte (and mine often is).

I left the game pleased with what I saw, understanding this is a rebuilding process. JP handled most of the pressure situations early, although he was on the run in the second half (obviously). The defense was Bradyized at times, but from my angle the two toughdown passes were well covered and Brady threw the ball well. There was a coverage mismatch on the Faulk TD, it seems, but that was at the other end of the field and hard to get the full picture.

The Spikes sack was worth the trip alone. The Pats fans were dumbfounded.

My observation was the Bills stuck together and were trying to figure out how to win this game. I was tentative about the going for it on 4th and 1, but in the end I liked the call. Last year, I watched them pussyfoot around the Pats all game. They went into the Pats house, went for the knockout blow and missed. No shame in that.;

The Pats fans were pretty stumped most of the game, and while it would have been great to leave with a win, it was nice to tell more than a few Pats fans on the way out that "Your team is beatable, we'll see you in Buffalo...".

FYI, and keep it between us chickens, I swear I saw Tedy Bruschi french kiss (in a supernatural way, not man-on-man love way) that Warren fellow before the sack/safety. He also was piloting the stealth bomber that flew overhead during the pregame.

Let's build on this. There's work to do...

Horrible point... You also are assuming that the Bill would have definitely made the field goal - but even that is not automatic (bad snaps, holds, kicks, etc.)

768918[/snapback]

The success rate of a 25 yd FG is conservatively what; 95%? Compared to the Bills redzone offense converting against NE is the same? Seriously?

I just got back from the game at Gillette and was really interested on what the fan's response to the game would be.

It's tough to get perspective on all the plays from the stands, and our replay angle was pretty bad.  There were a number of things to complain about, if copmplaining is your forte (and mine often is). 

I left the game pleased with what I saw, understanding this is a rebuilding process. JP handled most of the pressure situations early, although he was on the run in the second half (obviously).  The defense was Bradyized at times, but from my angle the two toughdown passes were well covered and Brady threw the ball well.  There was a coverage mismatch on the Faulk TD, it seems, but that was at the other end of the field and hard to get the full picture.

The Spikes sack was worth the trip alone.  The Pats fans were dumbfounded. 

My observation was the Bills stuck together and were trying to figure out how to win this game.  I was tentative about the going for it on 4th and 1, but in the end I liked the call. Last year, I watched them pussyfoot around the Pats all game.  They went into the Pats house, went for the knockout blow and missed.  No shame in that.;

The Pats fans were pretty stumped most of the game, and while it would have been great to leave with a win, it was nice to tell more than a few Pats fans on the way out that "Your team is beatable, we'll see you in Buffalo...". 

FYI, and keep it between us chickens, I swear I saw Tedy Bruschi french kiss (in a supernatural way, not man-on-man love way)  that Warren fellow before the sack/safety.  He also was piloting the stealth bomber that flew overhead during the pregame. 

Let's build on this.  There's work to do...

768919[/snapback]

So Teddy is a pilot in too!! <_<

I give up on the 4th and 1 call. It is not the reason we lost but it sure was a turning point. Time to move on to the next game.

I give up on the 4th and 1 call. It is not the reason we lost but it sure was a turning point. Time to move on to the next game.

768945[/snapback]

Fair enough on 4th and 1.

No Bob---that's the thing. He's not a pilot, he has no training. The real pilot had fallen out of the plane just before the flyover. Tedy was parking cars for the elderly in the handicapped section when he and he alone saw this. He ran to the top of the stadium and jumped mightily--as only a Bruschi could---and wrestled his way into the cockpit. Once he got in there, he just knew what to do, like, uh, like Flutie just knew how to win, you know? That's why it's so strange....

768945[/snapback]

Fair enough on 4th and 1.

No Bob---that's the thing. He's not a pilot, he has no training. The real pilot had fallen out of the plane just before the flyover. Tedy was parking cars for the elderly in the handicapped section when he and he alone saw this. He ran to the top of the stadium and jumped mightily--as only a Bruschi could---and wrestled his way into the cockpit. Once he got in there, he just knew what to do, like, uh, like Flutie just knew how to win, you know? That's why it's so strange....

768951[/snapback]

Well flying should be easy for him because he designed the entire guidance and control system for this aircraft one summer while at camp.

Given the benefit of hindsight three points WAS the knockout. 

I take the 3 points.

768800[/snapback]

Wow. I am a genius and will now take the 3 and the win. Great call.

Personally, if I was making the decision at the time I am not sure I would do anything different. That was the right run call. I might have considered running two Wr's out having them both do double moves out to inside for a 4 Yder.

I really liked going for it in that situation.

We were dominating the game, and running very effectively- I think he was looking to put them away.

I was completely for going for the fieldgoal, but we need to be able to get that yard and have killer instinct

768813[/snapback]

Well...Looking to put the Patsies away on the Road with 9:50 left in the 3rd Quarter is a bit ambitious for a Team that has not got that Yard, or shown that Killer Instinct in quite some time...Especially a VERY Young Team who is greatly untested in Big Games...I mean when has anyone on this Bills Roster Played in a Playoff Game outside of London Fletcher??...And even that was a ways back...

I thought Kicking the FG was the right Call there and still do...Sure it was the safe thing to do, but the Bills were up by 10, the crowd was silent, and the Pats were dazed...Even a 17 Point lead is not safe in NE with the bulk of a Half remaining. I keep hearing Jauron was looking to put the Patsies away...Would any Bills Fan really have felt safe up by 17 with 24 plus mins remaining? I mean it's still the Patsies on the Road...Why not just keep on the path and Play it safe...

To me it was about keeping momentum and keeping the Pats quiet. A FG there is definitely no moral victory for the Pats. Sure it's only a 13 Point Lead, but it keeps The Patsies wondering what in the world is happening here? It was the start of the 3rd Quarter, the Bills take up 5 and a half mins and march to a FG...Good way to start the half...That's all...Still a lot of Football to Play, but the Pats know the Bills are going nowhere...

Jauron will learn from this Game, and I'm more than willing to give him a pass on a decision I did not agree with...As long as He understands from this point on that the Bills may be much better than most Folks gave them credit for, but they're still not good enough to put good Teams away on the Road in the 3rd Quarter...No need to be cocky, no need for messages just yet...Win a few 1st... <_<

768918[/snapback]

I actually didn't assume that which you'd know if you had read my post.