Great picture of Drew on nfl.com...

LabattBlue

First, let me introduce myself as a lifelong Bills fan, longtime reader of TBD and finally, a confused member of this conversation. Why is it, whenever someone gets cut, traded, released, etc., we as "fans" jump in the middle of their *^&% and begin nitpicking everything little thing about them...aka, a picture of them on a national website as a potential "winner" in this league.

How many of us would have killed to have had Drew back last year. Just wondering? Now that he is gone, he is the worst thing that ever stepped foot in the Ralph!?!?

First, let me introduce myself as a lifelong Bills fan, longtime reader of TBD and finally, a confused member of this conversation.  Why is it, whenever someone gets cut, traded, released, etc., we as "fans" jump in the middle of their *^&% and begin nitpicking everything little thing about them...aka, a picture of them on a national website as a potential "winner" in this league.

How many of us would have killed to have had Drew back last year.  Just wondering?  Now that he is gone, he is the worst thing that ever stepped foot in the Ralph!?!?

765893[/snapback]

You make way too much sense for some of the Drew bashers on this board.

Generally speaking, and for the most part, I would agree with you. However, in Drew’s case I think a lot of Bill’s fans feel that he really wasn’t all that interested in the team and Buffalo, as much as it was just a good paying job…win or lose. He would work only at a certain level of his talent, and maybe have a good game or two, throughout the season, but would never go beyond that minimal level of his talent. It never seemed to bother him to lose.....oh well just another game.

At times, even when he was at NE I got the impression that he was almost bothered that they “had to” play beyond the regular season into the playoff’s and SB. I never got the impression that he had an absolute burning desire to bust his balls, and to do whatever it took to be a SB champ.

I never remember hearing him express that passion to be number-one. My impression is that if he got there with his talent and minimal effort from time to time, that that would be ok.

To me he is that kind of guy that we have all worked with at one time or another that puts in his minimum effort but never interested going above and beyond the call, as it were, to achieve that level that they could achieve with extra effort and commitment necessary to get to the next level.

So I guess it’s just some frustration with his Bills performance to jump on the “bash Drew” bandwagon.

First, let me introduce myself as a lifelong Bills fan, longtime reader of TBD and finally, a confused member of this conversation.  Why is it, whenever someone gets cut, traded, released, etc., we as "fans" jump in the middle of their *^&% and begin nitpicking everything little thing about them...aka, a picture of them on a national website as a potential "winner" in this league.

How many of us would have killed to have had Drew back last year.  Just wondering?  Now that he is gone, he is the worst thing that ever stepped foot in the Ralph!?!?

765893[/snapback]

Generally speaking, and for the most part, I would agree with you. However, in Drew’s case I think a lot of Bill’s fans feel that he really wasn’t all that interested in the team and Buffalo, as much as it was just a good paying job…win or lose. He would work only at a certain level of his talent, and maybe have a good game or two, throughout the season, but would never go beyond that minimal level of his talent. It never seemed to bother him to lose.....oh well just another game.

At times, even when he was at NE I got the impression that he was almost bothered that they “had to” play beyond the regular season into the playoff’s and SB. I never got the impression that he had an absolute burning desire to bust his balls, and to do whatever it took to be a SB champ.

I never remember hearing him express that passion to be number-one. My impression is that if he got there with his talent and minimal effort from time to time, that that would be ok.

To me he is that kind of guy that we have all worked with at one time or another that puts in his minimum effort but never interested going above and beyond the call, as it were, to achieve that level that they could achieve with extra effort and commitment necessary to get to the next level.

So I guess it’s just some frustration with his Bills performance to jump on the “bash Drew” bandwagon.

765893[/snapback]

Welcome to the board.....okay, enough of the pleasantries....

As far as Drew goes, the COWBOYS weren't even sure if they wanted Drew back. See, there are those among us who prefer QBs who can actually do something productive for OUR team when the game is on the line, or when we are in a must win situation. We need someone who will look-off the Burger King.

You may not be aware of this (Rico can verify it), but Drew Bledsoe was among the top 5 most annoying people in the WORLD for a period of like three months according to a nationally recognized and completely scientific polling website. It's true.....it's true.

Let it go already.

765961[/snapback]

Exactly. I feel ya, bro. I've laid in bed at night after many a Bills game wondering what I could say to Drew to help get him over the hump.....then it hit me....I'd just look him in the eyes and say, "Drew....let it go already."

765914[/snapback]

I'm not sure why you draw this conclusion.

First, it seems contradictory to me that on one hand you argue that he did not seem to care about Buffalo but then site at length examples of him not caring IYHO in NE. Perhaps you want to argue that you do not like him because he doesn't care enough as a football player, but linking in particular to Buffalo does not follow from what you say.

As far as saying overall he does not care (or does not care enough). I'm not sure where you draw this conclusion from. He is an older player who could walk away from the the game and "merely" drink brews and fly fish on his several thousand acres he owns in Montana. Maybe he has no answer to the question how much is enough and the paychecks bring him back. However, given that his lung was collapsed and his statue like aspects have forced him to endure dozens of sacks and analysis that he takes this abuse just for the money and does not care would need a little more support than just the theory to be credible.

Outside comments and observable incidents seem to indicate that he has taken a variety of actions that most would say were good moves for the team. One can easil y imagine most NFL players throwing a hissy-fit when they played QB in a reserve role for Brady in the must-win AFC championship in the majority of that game and in fact through the winning TD. He definitely lacked passion in not crying more but this seemed a far better response than a TO might take in this case.

Tom Brady has also been on record saying how critical it was for him to have Drew's sideline council as he suddenly had to learn to be a vet for NE. Many other players such as fan favorite of many Buffaloanians Flutie were renowned for how little help they gave to a QB they were competing with. Again this may be the lack of passion you are talking about, but given the bruising amd team destroying QB battles here, such a lack of passion would have been nice.

I think folks the problem which many TSW folks have with Bledsoe was that he simply sucked here in 2003 and he failed to deliver like the savior they wanted in 2004. I think folks are so pissed off at these horrid performances they allow this bad experience to make them forget the reality that Bledsoe has definite weaknesses which brought about a losing performance here, but also definite strengths (the rocket arm, a ton of experience, a good ball handler) that if he is used properly a team with him at QB can win and probably even make the playoffs (The SB talk abiut the 'Boys seems silly to me and probably mostly stems from folks knowing their names).

I think the real explanation is that many TSW and other observers are so bruised by their disappointment that they refuse to acknowledge that with a good HC/OC that uses DB's strengths and stays away from his weaknesses (to some part through one of the great football uronies is that one way to fight DB from being overwhelmed by the blitz you have to run him on the QB draw from time to time to force LB and rushers to not sell themselves out for the sack by taking outside angles) one can get results of the team certainly having a winning record and possibly even making the playoffs with DB at QB.

At this point on the backside of his career. DG is clearly not capable of being some savior who can carry a team to the playoffs on his shoulders. However, he shows signs of being a QB who is adequate to the task of sharing leadership with good ST players and a good D with big play guys to produce a good result for your team.

In general, many Buffalo fans are even more locked into the past that your QB must be an HOF player as Jimbo was than they are locked into a mode that every DE needs to be Bruce Smith or they suck.

They loved it that Flutie twice QB'ed this team to playoff berths, but he did not have the right demographics of being tall enough or his arm strong enough that the fact the team won under him was not good enough.

Bledsoe disappointed many Bills fans because finally we got a guy who was tall enough and had a great arm, but lo and behold he was not good enough to get us to the playoffs, therefore folks jump to the false conclusion he can do nothing.

In general, many Buffalo fans are even more locked into the past that your QB must be an HOF player as Jimbo was than they are locked into a mode that every DE needs to be Bruce Smith or they suck.

765964[/snapback]

There will never be another Jimbo. I'd just be happy with the next Frank Reich!

RALLY 'ROUND REICH, BABY!!!!!!

I'm not sure why you draw this conclusion.

First, it seems contradictory to me that on one hand you argue that he did not seem to care about Buffalo but then site at length examples of him not caring IYHO in NE.  Perhaps you want to argue that you do not like him because he doesn't care enough as a football player, but linking in particular to Buffalo does not follow from what you say.

As far as saying overall he does not care (or does not care enough).  I'm not sure where you draw this conclusion from.  He is an older player who could walk away from the the game and "merely" drink brews and fly fish on his several thousand acres he owns in Montana.  Maybe he has no answer to the question how much is enough and the paychecks bring him back.  However, given that his lung was collapsed and his statue like aspects have forced him to endure dozens of sacks and analysis that he takes this abuse just for the money and does not care would need a little more support than just the theory to be credible.

Outside comments and observable incidents seem to indicate that he has taken a variety of actions that most would say were good moves for the team.  One can easil y imagine most NFL players throwing a hissy-fit when they played QB in a reserve role for Brady in the must-win AFC championship in the majority of that game and in fact through the winning TD.  He definitely lacked passion in not crying more but this seemed a far better response than a TO might take in this case.

Tom Brady has also been on record saying how critical it was for him to have Drew's sideline council as he suddenly had to learn to be a vet for NE.  Many other players such as fan favorite of many Buffaloanians Flutie were renowned for how little help they gave to a QB they were competing with.  Again this may be the lack of passion you are talking about, but given the bruising amd team destroying QB battles here, such a lack of passion would have been nice.

I think folks the problem which many TSW folks have with Bledsoe was that he simply sucked here in 2003 and he failed to deliver like the savior they wanted in 2004.  I think folks are so pissed off at these horrid performances they allow this bad experience to make them forget the reality that Bledsoe has definite weaknesses which brought about a losing performance here, but also definite strengths (the rocket arm, a ton of experience, a good ball handler) that if he is used properly a team with him at QB can win and probably even make the playoffs (The SB talk abiut the 'Boys seems silly to me and probably mostly stems from folks knowing their names).

I think the real explanation is that many TSW and other observers are so bruised by their disappointment that they refuse to acknowledge that with a good HC/OC that uses DB's strengths and stays away from his weaknesses (to some part through one of the great football uronies is that one way to fight DB from being overwhelmed by the blitz you have to run him on the QB draw from time to time to force LB and rushers to not sell themselves out for the sack by taking outside angles) one can get results of the team certainly having a winning record and possibly even making the playoffs with DB at QB.

At this point on the backside of his career. DG is clearly not capable of being some savior who can carry a team to the playoffs on his shoulders.  However, he shows signs of being a QB who is adequate to the task of sharing leadership with good ST players and a good D with big play guys to produce a good result for your team.

They loved it that Flutie twice QB'ed this team to playoff berths, but he did not have the right demographics of being tall enough or his arm strong enough that the fact the team won under him was not good enough.

Bledsoe disappointed many Bills fans because finally we got a guy who was tall enough and had a great arm, but lo and behold he was not good enough to get us to the playoffs, therefore folks jump to the false conclusion he can do nothing.

765964[/snapback]

There is no contradiction, he didn’t care period, irrespective of where it took place.

As far as the rest of what you said; you have your opinion, and I respect that, and I have mine. But as far as I can tell we are both saying the same thing. We are all Bills fans and we are all hoping for a winning season and to get back to the winning ways we have all enjoyed.

As I said “So I guess it’s just some frustration with his Bills performance to jump on the “bash Drew” bandwagon.”

We are all Bills fans and we are all hoping for a winning season and to get back to the winning ways we have all enjoyed. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s kickoff! :o

There is no contradiction, he didn’t care period, irrespective of where it took place.

Gotta love when posters take OPIINIONS and state them as FACT. :o

You have no idea whether he cared or not - purely speculation - and I'd venture to say that you don't go 9-7 as a QB in the NFL without caring.

I never remember hearing him express that passion to be number-one.

Yeah, that went over really well when Willis said it. ;) Can't have it both ways fokls. :w00t:

I have a sinking feeling that we're going to be in for yet another long year... Making that 9-7 playoff chase season look even sweeter. How many people here honestly think we'll be fighting for a playoff spot in December? Didn't think so. :P

CW

Gotta love when posters take OPIINIONS and state them as FACT.

As I stated; you, me and everyone on this board are entitled to their own opinions and the respect of such. I also stated that my beliefs ARE MY OPINIONS. I never stated that they are based on scientific or indisputable facts of physics, or stats.

OPINIONS ARE what make these boards interactive and fun. Facts….such as stats… are an interracial part of one’s supporting arguments for their opinions. However, no one can get inside someone else’s head and state factually that he or she was thinking this way or that way. All one can do is make a personal judgment.

When someone states that in THEIR “OPINION” such or such is……don’t accuse them of trying to pass an OPINION off as FACT.

When someone states that in THEIR “OPINION” such or such is……don’t accuse them of trying to pass an OPINION off as FACT.

766010[/snapback]

That's just it, you DIDN'T say that part was an opinion:

"There is no contradiction, he didn’t care period, irrespective of where it took place.

As far as the rest of what you said; you have your opinion, and I respect that, and I have mine. "

CW

the look on his face is awful, what's he doing?  it's like he's taking a dump while listening to William Shatner sing  :o

766016[/snapback]

actually I think he's taking a 'slippery klingon' from Picard.

That's just it, you DIDN'T say that part was an opinion:

CW

766014[/snapback]

Well I hope we don’t have to get to a point of having a “This is a fact, and This is my option” columns so as to differentiate between the two, so people don’t assume someone’s options are a scientific or indisputable facts, or stats.

It seems that it would to be evident to even to the most casual reader.

However, I apologize if I confused you. I’ll be sure in the future to clearly distinguish the difference. :o

Well I hope we don’t have to get to a point of having a  “This is a  fact, and This is my option”  columns so as to differentiate between the two, so people don’t assume someone’s options are a scientific or indisputable facts, or stats.

It seems that it would to be evident to even to the most casual reader.

However, I apologize if I confused you. I’ll be sure in the future to clearly distinguish the difference.  :o

766024[/snapback]

When you say something like, "This is how things are. As for the rest of your post, we can both have our own opinions," this clearly states that your first sentance is fact and the rest is opinion.

I suppose it's too much to ask for people to understand the english language. My mistake. ;)

As far as the rest of what you said; you have your opinion, and I respect that, and I have mine. But as far as I can tell we are both saying the same thing. We are all Bills fans and we are all hoping for a winning season and to get back to the winning ways we have all enjoyed.

As I said “So I guess it’s just some frustration with his Bills performance to jump on the “bash Drew” bandwagon.”

We are all Bills fans and we are all hoping for a winning season and to get back to the winning ways we have all enjoyed. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s kickoff! :o

765981[/snapback]

I certyainly accept your opinion that you hate, are dismayed by. disappointed in or whatever opinion you have about Bledsoe, as customers we have the right to say what we want short of liable and other illegal utterings.

We do have the same opinion about Bledsoe if you feel like i do that he sucks under some circumstances and also plays well under other situations where he is asj/tp;d tp dp what he can do well and ask/rold not to do the things he sucks at without a specific good reason (for example he sucks as a runner but you have to run him a little bit to stop the opponents from selling out guarding the short middle of the field in passing situations for the blitz- he cannot run well, but if defenders abandon the middle of the field to take outside angles to the QB because the blitz works better there a big boy like Drew who cannot run well can stumble forward for a significant gain into empty space).

While you certainly have the right to your opinion as I do mine, I do think there is a big difference between the opinion that DB cannot do anything right and sucks basically whereever he plays and the opinion I have that he actually can be quite productive (he can QB a team to a winning record even now on the backside of his career with correct usage and possibly even to a playoff berth) under the right circumstances.

The difference is that my opinion is supported by actual real world occurences of play by DB:

1. He QB'ed the Bills to a winning record in 04 though he was not good enough to lead the team on his shoulders alone as the ST (the Lindell shabk and the NC fumble) and the D (giving up over 100 to Parker and letting Maddox QB his squad) joined DB in not doing the job. To merely blame this failure on Bledsoe (he was a part but simplya part of the failure) fails to recognize the reality of other failed Bills and fails to recognize the reality that he was the QB for a winning team that year.

2. He did have a Pro Bowl deserving season for the Bills in 2002 which teamed up with his horrendous 03 to make this deal a wash for the Bills. The first round 03 pick we traded to get him cost us nothing in 02 and was replaced with the pick used to get WM in 03. One has to engage in the did not really happen conclusion that if only we had not traded the pick we would have had two 1st rounders in 03. Maybe, but it was the absence of a 1st round pick which gave TD the cojones to take the unsusual step of tagging Peerless and then holding out for a 1st so this woulda/coulda argument is not credible the way some use it. Our mistake was extending Bledsoe for 04 and thn insult was added to this injury as TD took a cap hit for cutting Bledsoe after extending him. He should not have been extended but once this bed was made we should have slept in it because JP was not ready to start in 04 and the disagreement fostered by turning 05 into a learning session for JP split this team. These opinions are supported by far more reality than the unsupported opinion that DB sucks everywhere in most or all ways.

3. Further, this year looks like it may provide more real world evidence that DB can be the QB of a good team and potentially even a playoff team if the punsdits are right. I think they are wrong in labeling the 'Boys an SB contender, but given the reality of Bledsoe:

A. QBing the Boys to a winning record in 05.

B. Rejoining Parcells who has already proven to be enough of an HC to get to an SB with DB at QB.

C. DB QBing the majority of a must win game in the 2001 successful SB run, resurrecting his career after correctly being cut by NE and keeping the younget better Brady but scoring a deserved Pro Bowl berth with his 2002 Bills play, AND once again resurrecting his career QB'ing Dallas to a winning record in 05 after the Bills cut him.

The strong possibility exists with Bledsoe having built up a bunch of top 10 cummulative stats, with him being an essential part of the 2001 SB win so he has a ring he deserves, with him leading the Pats under Parcells to an SB, and now with him having been thrown on the ashheap and rejected by NE but QB'ed the Bills to a playoff short but winning season and now QB'ed the Cowboys to a playoff short but still winning season that Bledsoe will likely get into the HOF.

Who knows for sure, but in the end this vote is a popularity contest of the NFL committee. It depends on the competition, if Favre and Bledsoe are both up then Favre gets the nod and DB probably waits. However, it appears that DB will be able to retire at a time where Favre is already in and the likely competition for stud QBs will be folks like Vinny Twataverde.

My opinion is that DB easily makes the HOF if these are the voting alternatives and the HOF Committee suffers from the same psychotic overemphasis on the QB positions which fans do (this is part of the reason Warren Moon is in and Art Monk waits still). They likely will vote in a QB and Bledsoe with is longevity accumulated stats (a good thing because longevity in the NFL is tough to achieve), with his deserved SB ring, with his rocket arm and good demographics, and the reality that he led two teams to winning seasons after being cut by the Pats and Bills my opinion supported by real citable occuirences are that he is likely destined for the Hall of Fame because he is well famous for this QB work. You or I may disagree because we like stunning stats but whether a player actally deserves tp be in reality is determined by the popular vote of the committee.

I think there is a real difference between my opinioms which are supported by citable fact and other opinions that claim DB sucks in most ways and in most cases which is actually contrary to reality.

If you agree with this Great! If you disagree with this Great also but an opinion that disagrees with my points also disagrees with the reality of the citable facts.

What you seem to offer in more detail in your argument is the concept that DB cares only (or mostly about the money and not about the teams). Could be. I have never talked to the man to judge his motivations maybe you have and can do this mind and heart reading.

However, the what is likely dimestore psychology based opinion you offer is a more effective argument if it plays to the paranoia of many Bills fan that Drew has it out for Buffalo in particular. I was actually pleased to see I was wrong in assuming you were laying out a Buffalo conspiracy theory based argument from the initial DB does not care statement. Instead you argued he does not care anywhere.

This is not as an effective argument for the Bills partisans as saying he hates WNY but it would be totally unsupported. As it happens when you look at his actions in HE and Dal and folks reactions to them that considered his giving back the QB job to Brady without much whining as a class act of someone who cared more about the team than himself, even your points seem pretty unsupportable with any real world events.

Far be it from me to claim that my opinions are always correct or even to claim that you have no right to your opinion. The good thing in this country we all do.

However, evem though we are both Bills fans, this does not mean that I do not recognize the difference between fact-opinions such as the claim Bledsoe only cares about the money and even partialy supported clams by real world events such as my modetate view that he sucks in some situations but can do well in others.

I think TBD is great because it provides a forum where some of us choose to go into stultifying detail about the items which provide real world support for opinions.

At least that is what I think.

Welcome to the board.....okay, enough of the pleasantries....

As far as Drew goes, the COWBOYS weren't even sure if they wanted Drew back. See, there are those among us who prefer QBs who can actually do something productive for OUR team when the game is on the line, or when we are in a must win situation. We need someone who will look-off the Burger King.

You may not be aware of this (Rico can verify it), but Drew Bledsoe was among the top 5 most annoying people in the WORLD for a period of like three months according to a nationally recognized and completely scientific polling website. It's true.....it's true.

765954[/snapback]

Yes, I can vouch for that, it's true, it's damn true. :lol: