MY keys to success on Sunday

I can't WAIT to see how Mike blows up the Miami game tonight, it'll be an awesome sight.

Anyways.

There are 3 things that have to happen almost in a row to have success this weekend.

1. Win the toss. Elect to kick. Therefore we get the ball at half to start off the end, and you DO NOT want the Patriots to be on Defense while the crowd is blowing up after kick-off.

2. Turnovers. Send Angelo in on pass plays to make Brady fear for his life, and have the Clemegeeboty take care of the rest. A big turnover silences the crowd, swings momentum in a HUGE way to us.

3. Score Early, Score often. It's obvious, but I'm not talking about touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, I'm saying a touchdown and some quick field goals to get under Belicheks skin.

It's going to be tough, we probably won't win, but seeing the heart this city and this team puts in to the game I'm praying they reap their rewards.

I can't WAIT to see how Mike blows up the Miami game tonight, it'll be an awesome sight.

Anyways.

There are 3 things that have to happen almost in a row to have success this weekend.

1. Win the toss. Elect to kick.  Therefore we get the ball at half to start off the end, and you DO NOT want the Patriots to be on Defense while the crowd is blowing up after kick-off.

2. Turnovers. Send Angelo in on pass plays to make Brady fear for his life, and have the Clemegeeboty take care of the rest.  A big turnover silences the crowd, swings momentum in a HUGE way to us.

3. Score Early, Score often.  It's obvious, but I'm not talking about touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, I'm saying a touchdown and some quick field goals to get under Belicheks skin.

It's going to be tough, we probably won't win, but seeing the heart this city and this team puts in to the game I'm praying they reap their rewards.

763955[/snapback]

I completely disagree. You take the ball (definately not handing it over to Tom Brady!) and try to take the fans out of the game by putting a quick seven on the board. We do still have Lee Evans, right? I couldn't disagree more with this strategy.

1. Win the toss. Elect to kick.  Therefore we get the ball at half to start off the end, and you DO NOT want the Patriots to be on Defense while the crowd is blowing up after kick-off.

I have a question about the rules concerning this issue ... is this really the way it works? I thought that the team that won the toss just got to CHOOSE whether they wanted to receive or kick-off AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FIRST HALF .... and then the other team gets to choose whether it wants to receive or kick-off at the beginning of the 2nd half?

If that is true, then CHOOSING to kick-off to start the game does NOT guarantee you will automatically get to receive the ball in the 2nd half ... the other team could just as easily (and most likely would) choose to receive again in the 2nd half.

I seem to remember this coming up a few years ago during a particularly bad weather game down south somewhere ... maybe one of the Florida teams? There were near hurricane-force winds to start the game, and so the team that won the toss elected to kick-off, so they would start with the wind at their backs. By the 2nd half, the winds had died down considerably, but the same team who received the kick-off to begin the game elected to receive it again. I remember because it was talked about as the first time in NFL history the same team received the ball to start both halves ... anyone else remember this? Or maybe the rules have been changed since then?

GO BILLS!

763955[/snapback]

More likely it'll be a Mickey Mouse fake end-around bull sh-- reverse !@#$tard halfback option flea-flicker pass...for a loss. The complete antithesis of "awesome".

Of course, with my luck as a Bills fan, that play will actually work for the damned Fins.

I have a question about the rules concerning this issue ... is this really the way it works?  I thought that the team that won the toss just got to CHOOSE whether they wanted to receive or kick-off AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FIRST HALF .... and then the other team gets to choose whether it wants to receive or kick-off at the beginning of the 2nd half? 

GO BILLS!

763963[/snapback]

That's right. Evidently, that Madden game doesn't follow the rules there. :P

a lot of things have to come together, but its certainly not impossible to win this game. Outstanding special teams play (as usual) is something we will probably get. The running game is essential (keeping Brady on the bench...he's no more effective than Rob Johnson if he can't get on the field.). An occassional long pass when Belichick is cheating to stop the running game...and we've got a major upset. I really like Royal at tight end and see him being a great target in the red zone.

I have a question about the rules concerning this issue ... is this really the way it works?  I thought that the team that won the toss just got to CHOOSE whether they wanted to receive or kick-off AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FIRST HALF .... and then the other team gets to choose whether it wants to receive or kick-off at the beginning of the 2nd half? 

If that is true, then CHOOSING to kick-off to start the game does NOT guarantee you will automatically get to receive the ball in the 2nd half ... the other team could just as easily (and most likely would) choose to receive again in the 2nd half.

I seem to remember this coming up a few years ago during a particularly bad weather game down south somewhere ... maybe one of the Florida teams?  There were near hurricane-force winds to start the game, and so the team that won the toss elected to kick-off, so they would start with the wind at their backs.  By the 2nd half, the winds had died down considerably, but the same team who received the kick-off to begin the game elected to receive it again.  I remember because it was talked about as the first time in NFL history the same team received the ball to start both halves ...  anyone else remember this?  Or maybe the rules have been changed since then?

GO BILLS!

763963[/snapback]

I believe that's right.

Edit: 1. Lose the toss. Therefore we get the ball at half to start off the end, and you DO NOT want the Patriots to be on Defense while the crowd is blowing up after kick-off.

763955[/snapback]

I agree with you here. Linda Brady and company will probably be a bit antsy I would assume and possibly prone to an error or a few rough plays. If Buff wins the toss and receives the kick they will have to play 'O' with a deafening crowd early in the game and I don't know about anyone else but I'd like to see Losman at least sustain a bit of a drive and not have a small mental breakdown this early in the season. Kicking first might alleviate this fear a bit. I always think it's better to receive the kick after halftime. If I was coach I would almost always elect to put the 'D' in the field first.

I would NOT be surprised to see the miami offense look really, really good under mike mularkey. He was a good OC in Pitt. Trouble for us is, he's a lousy HC, and TD decided to make us his beta test house. He failed that test and is now learning from somebody that can handle the job and all that it entails.

MM was over his head and couldn't control his team's chemistry.

I hope I'm wrong. But so far in my football life, things that I'd like to see happen don't, and vice versa.

I remember because it was talked about as the first time in NFL history the same team received the ball to start both halves ...  anyone else remember this?  Or maybe the rules have been changed since then?

I think the way it works is this: if you win the toss, you get to choose either possession or which end of the field you want. If you made a possession-related choice (either to kick or to receive) the other team gets to decide which end of the field they want to defend. And if you made a field-related choice, the other team gets to make a possession-related one.

At the beginning of the second half, whichever team lost the coin toss gets to choose first. They'll almost always make a possession-related choice (i.e., to receive), which means the team that won the coin toss then gets to choose which end of the field they want to defend.

Anyways.

2. Turnovers. Send Angelo in on pass plays to make Brady fear for his life, and have the Clemegeeboty take care of the rest.  A big turnover silences the crowd, swings momentum in a HUGE way to us.

3. Score Early, Score often.  It's obvious, but I'm not talking about touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, I'm saying a touchdown and some quick field goals to get under Belicheks skin.

763955[/snapback]

Try this:

1 - Run the ball and stop the run.

2 - force turnovers, do not turn it over ourselves

3 - limit penalties, play smart

4 - play inspired special teams

763955[/snapback]

We won't be seeing Youboty this weekend. He'll be inactive after all the time he's missed (which I have no problem with whatsoever). He had a lot to take care of as the next in line to provide for his siblings. Family comes first. But hopefully football will give this guy an outlet and an escape, or if not, something to drive and be inspired by after his loss -- rather than the despair and general excuse it became for Mike Williams.

That's basically the point of every game, so I guess I agree?

764208[/snapback]

That is not the point of the game, it is the recipe for success in the NFL.

Winning the coin toss means nothing if you do not do these things. Last year we won the coin toss an unbelievable amount of times .... it is practically meaningless over the course 16 games.

Bill Parcells once explained his philosophy on winning as such: "Find out what things you're doing that make you lose -- and then don't do those things."

It sounds funny, it's so simple -- but that really is the case, isn't it? The truth is that the Patriots don't scare me. I don't think that we're going to have to score 40 points to win this, since their offense is banged up and missing quality receivers. It really comes down to NOT making the negative plays. I really believe that if the team can cut down on the penalties and avoid costly turnovers, that they REALLY have a shot at winning this one.

There I said it...