Willis's amazing year

Kelly the Dog

Last year, on the worst offensive team in Bills history. With a terrible and injured offensive line. With atrocious quarterbacking and no deep threat. With the worst play-calling in recent memory. With a defense that didnt turn the ball over. With a divided locker room which basically became Lord of the Flies. With a fullback and tight end who blocked no one. Not playing on third downs. Willis had the fifth best season in Bills running back history with 1247 yards.

And he did it without even trying the last eight games or so. :(

It was rather a remarkable feat. He should put up huge numbers this year, with virtually everything better for him. The coaching, the line, better QBing, a deep threat, better play calling (guaranteed), a tighter locker room, a better blocking TE, and playing on third downs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, on the worst offensive team in Bills history. With a terrible and injured offensive line. With atrocious quarterbacking and no deep threat. With the worst play-calling in recent memory. With a defense that didnt turn the ball over. With a divided locker room which basically became Lord of the Flies. With a fullback and tight end who blocked no one. Not playing on third downs. Willis had the fifth best season in Bills running back history with 1247 yards.

And he did it without even trying the last eight games or so.  :(

It was rather a remarkable feat. He should put up huge numbers this year, with virtually everything better for him. The coaching, the line, better QBing, a deep threat, better play calling (guaranteed), a tighter locker room, a better blocking TE, and playing on third downs.

761978[/snapback]

Willis will have a monster year. Forget about next year this year hasn't even begun.

It was rather a remarkable feat. He should put up huge numbers this year, with virtually everything better for him. The coaching, the line, better QBing, a deep threat, better play calling (guarenteed), a tighter locker room, a better blocking TE, and playing on third downs.

761978[/snapback]

I had the same feeling based on the same reasoning. I'd also throw the fact that Willis is a Rosenhaus guy from the U, he wants that huge payday. He has to know that if he wants that he is going to have to blow people away. After all, as you pointed out he didn't appear to try at all in the second half of the season. No one wants a guy who quits trying regardless of the motivation that led the player to quit. If he wants the big payday he will have to show he can pick a franchise up and carry it on his back. Otherwise when he hits free agency his value is that of a decent back with a history of serous injury. A back with serious mileage after having been beat up behind what has been a bad Buffalo line to this point. If he doesn't play lights out he can't renegotiate his contract or get the big day when he leaves.

This kid is about the :bling: and some of the statements Wills has made show that he is a mercenary. He is going to do his best to jack his stock and cash in to the highest bidder. If we get lucky the team does well and he matures. If he realizes that with the cards falling into place he, Lee, and JP could become the "triplets" that lead to a monster team with a few serious runs in it he could stick around for a little less. The more likely outcome is that he will run as far as he can as fast as he can when he gets the chance but I digress...

BTW

With a divided locker room which basically became Lord of the Flies.

That is a great line.

761978[/snapback]

I think that this post proves the old adage about lies, darned lies, and statistics. Or the adage about how statistics don't lie, liars lie.... O.k., that's a little harsh, I don't mean to accuse the Fair and Balanced one of lieing - just of presenting a misleading picture using statistics....

First, this post is very misleading when it refers to "fifth-best season in Bills running back history." I'll leave aside for a moment the peculiar definition of "best," which allowed one of the worst seasons in Bills' running back history as one of the best. What is more misleading is that when referring to "Bills' history", one might think that this goes back through the full 46-year history of the franchise. Of course, it is worth noting that Willis benefited from playing one of only 26 16-game seasons in Bills' history. If one wants to draw conclusions about Willis' 2005 season in Bills' history one *must* account for the difference in the number of games in a season, even if one doesn't account for the change in NFL philosophy from multiple running backs to having a single featured backs.

Secondly, while you cite that putrid play of Losman last season as making McGahee's performance look better, I'd actually say that it makes McGahee's performance look worse. There are plenty of examples of RB's who had truly great seasons doing so with inept passing games (cf Jamal Lewis, 2003; Eric Dickerson, 2984; and best of all - OJ Simpson 2003.) A great RB season is one where a great RB takes over the offense to overcome the passing game's difficulties.

This connection becomes most evident when you consider your contention that McGahee's season was "great" because he put up those numbers while not playing on 3rd Downs. Yet, one wonders - how many more attempts could McGahee have reasonably expected to have last season. McGahee had 325 attempts last season - more than Thurman Thomas had in any season, save one, and more than Antowain Smith had in any season. Again, there has been a sea change in NFL philosophies from keeping RB's fresh in past era, to riding workhorse RB's into the ground in the current era. McGahee ranked 11th in attempts per game last season, and a paltry 13th in yards per game. Among RB's with 100+ attempts, McGahee ranked a pathetic 29th in yards per attempt - equal to Chris Brown in Tennessee.

In fairness, I expect that Bills to be much better this year - and that includes Willis McGahee. I think we're really going to see just how bad Mularkey was this year. I just don't think that we should be putting lipstick on the pig that was McGahee's 2005 campaign....

jDG

I'd also throw the fact that Willis is a Rosenhaus guy from the U, he wants that huge payday. . .If he wants the big payday he will have to show he can pick a franchise up and carry it on his back.

This kid is about the :bling: and some of the statements Wills has made show that he is a mercenary. He is going to do his best to jack his stock and cash in to the highest bidder.

762005[/snapback]

So now only players from The U and or Rosenhaus's clients care about being paid? This sort of argument against Willis always cracks me up because, I hate to break it to you, there isn't a player in the league that would play for free. There also isn't a player in the league that UNDERvalues his worth when it comes to contract time.

This is the NFL. This is not college or HS where loyalties are forged in team colors. The only color that exists is green. This is not exclusive to Willis. Every player wants the big payday. And every player is playing EVERY game to prove they deserve a bigger contract. It's about feeding their families (insert baby momma jokes here).

Any player on any team would leave said team for the right contract offer. JP, Lee, TKO, Fletcher-Baker. They are all mercenaries. It's the nature of the sport. And those who think the "old time" players would act differently aren't thinking things through. The players that were around prior to the Free Agency Bonanza would be exactly the same way as todays players -- they just didn't have the opportunity. Money changes everything, friends.

So there are only two things you can do about this as a fan.

1) Hope your team is the one that opens up the check book wide enough to keep your favorite players.

or

2) Root for the laundry.

Willis is going to have a monster year. Just be glad he's going to have it in Buffalo Bill Blue. And if he goes to another team in 2 years, how can you blame him? Wish him well and keep rooting for the laundry.

761978[/snapback]

Then he should get another 253 this season for a nice even 1500 total. I have a dream that he throws up a buck 95 against the Pats.

So there are only two things you can do about this as a fan.

1) Hope your team is the one that opens up the check book wide enough to keep your favorite players.

or

2) Root for the laundry.

762087[/snapback]

Is it so bad to wish that players would at least pretend to act like they want to win? To be a part of something special?

That's where McGahee falls on his face. He should ask himself: if the Bill's didn't pick me up, how far would I have fallen?

He doesn't care about winning anything but the big paycheck and has all the humility and gratitude of a used mop.

Which, of course, is why you will be losing your seat come November.  :(

762039[/snapback]

Au contraire, KTD - much like Ted Kennedy, no matter how ill-behaved I am, my constituents just can't get enough of me :doh:

Say...speaking of improper Bostonians, I'd love to see Willis rattle off those 300 yards against the Patsies this Sunday!

In all honesty, I agree and think he'll have a great year, just in time to sign with someone else.

That's why we have A-train. When Willis is gone, A-train becomes our primary back.

761992[/snapback]

I hope not. How many times are the Bills going to lose their first round picks after their first contract? It seems to happen all the time. Unless I'm forgetting somebody the last 1st round pick that was successful AND the Bills kept past the first contract was Eric Moulds. That's just pathetic. This team needs to start holding onto it's first round picks that are successful.

I think that this post proves the old adage about lies, darned lies, and statistics.  Or the adage about how statistics don't lie, liars lie....  O.k., that's a little harsh, I don't mean to accuse the Fair and Balanced one of lieing - just of presenting a misleading picture using statistics....

First, this post is very misleading when it refers to "fifth-best season in Bills running back history."  I'll leave aside for a moment the peculiar definition of "best," which allowed one of the worst seasons in Bills' running back history as one of the best.  What is more misleading is that when referring to "Bills' history", one might think that this goes back through the full 46-year history of the franchise.  Of course, it is worth noting that Willis benefited from playing one of only 26 16-game seasons in Bills' history.  If one wants to draw conclusions about Willis' 2005 season in Bills' history one *must* account for the difference in the number of games in a season, even if one doesn't account for the change in NFL philosophy from multiple running backs to having a single featured backs. 

Secondly, while you cite that putrid play of Losman last season as making McGahee's performance look better, I'd actually say that it makes McGahee's performance look worse.  There are plenty of examples of RB's who had truly great seasons doing so with inept passing games (cf Jamal Lewis, 2003; Eric Dickerson, 2984; and best of all - OJ Simpson 2003.)  A great RB season is one where a great RB takes over the offense to overcome the passing game's difficulties. 

This connection becomes most evident when you consider your contention that McGahee's season was "great" because he put up those numbers while not playing on 3rd Downs.  Yet, one wonders - how many more attempts could McGahee have reasonably expected to have last season.  McGahee had 325 attempts last season - more than Thurman Thomas had in any season, save one, and more than Antowain Smith had in any season.    Again, there has been a sea change in NFL philosophies from keeping RB's fresh in past era, to riding workhorse RB's into the ground in the current era.  McGahee ranked 11th in attempts per game last season, and a paltry 13th in yards per game.    Among RB's with 100+ attempts, McGahee ranked a pathetic 29th in yards per attempt - equal to Chris Brown in Tennessee.

In fairness, I expect that Bills to be much better this year - and that includes Willis McGahee.  I think we're really going to see just how bad Mularkey was this year.  I just don't think that we should be putting lipstick on the pig that was McGahee's 2005 campaign....

jDG

762069[/snapback]

1. I never said he had a great year. That is your word. I said it was amazing, because everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. And he still put up solid but not great numbers.

2. It's the fifth best year in Bills history. It's a fact. The NFL itself doesn't make its records a per game average. Would it make you feel better if I used fifth best in 26 years instead of 46, even if his per game average was better than 80% of all the other 20 seasons we are now omitting because JDG has different standards than the league? :(

3. In your criticism of the post, you failed to respond to any single item of the 11 problems with the Bills last year that I mentioned that Willis overcame. And they are monumental, IMO. The only time you came close to it, you compared the (arguably) three best seasons in NFL rushing history to it. And failed to observe or mention that each of those runners and teams had great offensive lines.

4. You seem to imply, remarkably, that he wouldn't be able to handle the time on third downs when this year's staff intends to do just that. They must be morons, too.