Gas Prices

erynthered

If it is an editorial, then I could care less.  But it doesn't say "editorial" anywhere.  It does say "article", which is laughable.

765344[/snapback]

Oh, heh.

I didn't bother to click on it given the descriptions of everyone, I thought you had stated that it was written as an editorial (in the editorial section).

My badz.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to take an article seriously when it is written as an editorial and literally titled "On his knees, Bush pins his hopes on fear."  If that was supposed to be unbiased, it was a pretty sad effort.

On the other hand, I recommend that you continue posting links to articles to state your case.  Regardless of their quality, they are always less embarassing than the stuff you type yourself.

765272[/snapback]

I liked the first line, too: "George Bush is fighting for his presidency..."

Uhhh...no, he's not. :doh:

Looks that way. So?

Bush is up for re-election? When did the election laws change?

765295[/snapback]

Is it too difficult to believe that politicians will use fear of terrorism to their political advantage?

While Bush is not up for re-election (gee, ya got me on that one), this election is about his administration's policies. Is he not in campaign mode right now? And what has been the focus of his speeches?

By the way, of course it's an editorial. The point is, IT'S NOT A CONSPIRACY TO BELIEVE THAT THE FOCUS OF THE MIDTERM ELECTIONS FOR THE REPUBLICANS IS FEAR, AND TRYING TO CONVINCE THE ELECTORATE THAT REPUBLICANS WILL PROTECT US BETTER THAN DEMOCRATS.

I suppose if you don't believe that, then you probably believe that Karl Rove is a man of principles.... :doh:

I liked the first line, too: "George Bush is fighting for his presidency..."

Uhhh...no, he's not.  :doh:

765382[/snapback]

What happens to "his presidency" if the dems gain control of the House?

Based on your literal interpretation of that statement, I'm sure your answer is "he's still president;" however, he will be totally ineffective (that's assuming he was effective to begin with). In fact, the dems will push for investigations into quite a few potentially disasterous issues that the republicans have been sitting on.

At any rate, I'm losing the battle. Everyone's arguments have completely supported the fact that only a conspiracist would believe that the republicans focus in the elections is fear....

By the way, of course it's an editorial.  The point is, IT'S NOT A CONSPIRACY TO BELIEVE THAT THE FOCUS OF THE MIDTERM ELECTIONS FOR THE REPUBLICANS IS FEAR, AND TRYING TO CONVINCE THE ELECTORATE THAT REPUBLICANS WILL PROTECT US BETTER THAN DEMOCRATS. 

765389[/snapback]

No. But believing the Democratic Party's innocent of the same nonsense makes it conspiratorial.

Fact is, all politicians - all marketers, really - appeal to the people's most current fears, simply because fear is a very powerful motivator. That's why we can't bicycle without a helmet, can't fly without being all but stripped-searched, and are only capable of electing total !@#$ing dumbasses to public office.

No.  But believing the Democratic Party's innocent of the same nonsense makes it conspiratorial. 

Fact is, all politicians - all marketers, really - appeal to the people's most current fears, simply because fear is a very powerful motivator.  That's why we can't bicycle without a helmet, can't fly without being all but stripped-searched, and are only capable of electing total !@#$ing dumbasses to public office.

765414[/snapback]

Which is why my first sentence in the post you quote says "politicians will use fear."

I totally agree with your statement though (paraphrasing)--if you believe only one party is capable of using fear for gain, you must believe in conspiracies.... :doh:

Speaking of GAS!!! :P

I think some of you folks are hurting your heads way to much on this conspiracy stuff.

Wouldn't it be nice if our bodies of congress were working on real issues, rather than trying to pin the other party to the mat.

I can expect more from them, cant I? ( :doh: )

The political parties, and the world wide media, are sucking the life out of this country.

Lets not forget Political correctness too.

I'll never forget my Fathers advice when I started to read the newspaper, ( this was late 60's) believe half of what you read in the paper..

Do you think we should believe less than that now? 40 years latter? I do....

Hey that might be a good idea for a TV show.  Maybe Sci-Fi will pick it up as a replacement to SG1

765521[/snapback]

I suppose I could have used a different analogy. Like maybe, what side gets to screw the American public more in the ass than the other. They both share the blame here.

Where's my !@#$ing reach around, for Christ sakes........ :doh:

You know, I started this thread, to show that's its not just one person that has an effect on gas prices. Its always a series of events. And if somebody would take the time to investigate those events, they'd have a better understanding of how shiit works. Rather than the typical BUSH raised Gas prices because of his cronies in the oil business.

And please, I'm not defending GW. :P

What happens to "his presidency" if the dems gain control of the House? 

Based on your literal interpretation of that statement, I'm sure your answer is "he's still president;" however, he will be totally ineffective (that's assuming he was effective to begin with).  In fact, the dems will push for investigations into quite a few potentially disasterous issues that the republicans have been sitting on. 

At any rate, I'm losing the battle.  Everyone's arguments have completely supported the fact that only a conspiracist would believe that the republicans focus in the elections is fear....

765407[/snapback]

Gas prices went up 4 cents yesterday at the gas station I usually buy from. I guess that means that the Democrats have infiltrated and gained control of the evil Big Oil companies and have purposely raised prices in order to help themselves with the upcoming mid-term elections. It is the only logical solution. :o

Gas prices went up 4 cents yesterday at the gas station I usually buy from. I guess that means that the Democrats have infiltrated and gained control of the evil Big Oil companies and have purposely raised prices in order to help themselves with the upcoming mid-term elections. It is the only logical solution.  :o

765777[/snapback]

No, No, No..... Bush heard from this board that the "good democrats" had found out his plan and backed off a little. After all it is he and evil haliburton that control oil. Don't you know anything?

No, No, No.....  Bush heard from this board that the "good democrats" had found out his plan and backed off a little.  After all it is he and evil haliburton that control oil.  Don't you know anything?

765797[/snapback]

I grant you that the Democrats are "Saintly" in nature, but they were desperate in this case. They needed to infiltrate the evil Big Oil companies to raise prices again so that they can point out how evil the Republicans really are. It is for the greater good of all of humanity.

Gas prices went up 4 cents yesterday at the gas station I usually buy from. I guess that means that the Democrats have infiltrated and gained control of the evil Big Oil companies and have purposely raised prices in order to help themselves with the upcoming mid-term elections. It is the only logical solution.  :o

765777[/snapback]

How does this post relate to the one you responded to?

As for gas prices, they're mainly responsive to demand because there is very little excess refining capacity in the US. One could argue that US oil companies like it that way.

765777[/snapback]

Bin Laden's Bounce

"However, there is one bright spot politically for the White House in its latest push on Iraq and national security. After months of party squabbling over everything from immigration to the federal budget, congressional Republicans, for the most part, seem to be on board with the White House’s attempt to make security and terrorism their primary platform heading into the midterms."

Say it ain't so Karl...

How does this post relate to the one you responded to? 

As for gas prices, they're mainly responsive to demand because there is very little excess refining capacity in the US.   One could argue that US oil companies like it that way.

765909[/snapback]

Yep! Then environ dudes can take the fall for excessive regulation in that forum... The best of both worlds for the oil companies...

Set a controlling value.

Kinda, I say kinda like... :o;) they do on the rivers and setting vertical clearances... Things gotta be broken down and unloaded to get past certain points.

I'd like to see them refine as much as possible and loosen up on the tight regulation...

:w00t: