Rudi Johnson or Steven Jackson

Ramius

I was faced with that decision at #6 (see post below) and I chose Jackson. The Rams will no longer have the "ignore the running game" offense and Jackson will be featured much more than in the past. Jackson is the better back and I think he could have a break-out year.

Johnson may be hurt if Palmer stumbles in his effort to come back from a bad knee injury. While Palmer is playing well now, the injury could start to nag him as the season goes on.

For the short term ie non keeper league I'd go with Johnson but long term like Jackson. As Rudi's put up back to back 1400 yard double digit TD seasons. I know everyone's pointing to the question mark that is Carson Palmer but remember Rudi put up similar numbers in 2004 when Palmer was an average QB. In terms of Jackson he has shown to be a better receiver of the two but still has to show he can be a consistant running threat which he might be able to do with Martz out of St Louis.

To me there's too many questions surrounding Jackson and I don't gamble with an early pick as it's going to be the nucleus of my team every week so would side with Johnson if I were you.

I was faced with that decision at #6 (see post below) and I chose Jackson. The Rams will no longer have the "ignore the running game" offense and Jackson will be featured much more than in the past. Jackson is the better back and I think he could have a break-out year.

Johnson may be hurt if Palmer stumbles in his effort to come back from a bad knee injury. While Palmer is playing well now, the injury could start to nag him as the season goes on.

757182[/snapback]

I had the #8 pick (12 teams league) and picked Rudi Johnson. Jackson was picked right before. I also picked up Chris Perry, Johnsons backup later in the draft. Johnson has had some injury issues but Cinci's OLine is one of the best out there. Having Chad Johson, TJ and the felon as WR's are nice to "loosen" things up.

that being said, either is a good pick at that point. If I had my choice I think I'd go Jackson as well but not by much...

Good luck

Johnson. He's simply more reliable. jackson, though talented, seems to lack a certain toughness. I get the feeling he doesn't handle injury to well. Johnson should produce close to 1500 yds and 13 TDs. If things go right, maybe higher on the TDs. After the top 3 RBs, I think you'd be hardpressed to find a more surefire pick at his position.

Johnson. He's simply more reliable. jackson, though talented, seems to lack a certain toughness. I get the feeling he doesn't handle injury to well. Johnson should produce close to 1500 yds and 13 TDs. If things go right, maybe higher on the TDs. After the top 3 RBs, I think you'd be hardpressed to find a more surefire pick at his position.

757267[/snapback]

Why do you think JAckson lacks toughness? That dude is a power runner. Is it because of the pass-happy cute offense the rams used to run? That system has now been changed to a more run focused system.

757182[/snapback]

I think the way Palmer looked the other night throws out any talk of him not being completely recovered. With that said, I'd take Rudi Johnson. Johnson will see the endzone more times than Jackson. I'd bet money on it.

The Bengals offense is a cut above everyone else right now. Especially since Edgerin James left the Colts. They have the most balanced and explosive attack in the league. You can't put 8 men in the box because Carson will eat you alive with #85 and T.J. Housyamama. Then if you focus on the pass, Rudi is gonna break for a couple of big runs from scrimmage and get his 1 or 2 touchdowns. Bulger is inconsistent and makes more mental mistakes than Palmer. Bulger has also been injured more than Carson. Palmer's injury was a more serious, but Bulger has seemed to fall into the lines of nagging injuries that keep him out of 1 or 2 games here and there. That puts a defense keying on Stephen Jackson. I also would have no second thoughts when saying Cincinnatti's line is better than St. Louis' line right now. Rooooodi! Rooooodi! Rooooodi! :)

I am saving this thread to bring up later on when I am proven right. As far as pure talent Rudi is not in the same universe as Jackson. Before now, the Ram's offensive schemes have cloaked Jackson's talent. THis year I think he will be a top three fantasy back.

Get ready to eat crow! :)

Why do you think JAckson lacks toughness? That dude is a power runner. Is it because of the pass-happy cute offense the rams used to run? That system has now been changed to a more run focused system.

757470[/snapback]

He seems to get nicked. Jackson may be more talented, but Johnson is in a better situation. Mark my words, Johnson will out-point Jackson this year.

I actually have them listed at different spots in different leagues. In the league that gives points for receptions I have Jackson rated higher and for the league that doesn't I have Rudi rated higher.

Jackson has the chance to be a superstar fantasy back, but he's not a proven fantasy back (yet). It's tough to risk a top 5 draft pick on a guy that's not proven even if you think he will bust out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.