Villarial, Vincent, Holcomb to be cut...

genomich

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are obviously rebuilding, so let's get on with it.  We all can plainly see that these old farts have nothing left in their respective tanks.  Maybe we can sign some last minute cuts with money saved.

749311[/snapback]

Nope. Makes no sense to give up quality depth, plus 2 starters.

Fist off, the team has plenty of money under the cap still. So, if they were looking for someone big, which I really don't think is possible because I don't think anyone great is still available, they could likely pull it off withouth cuting three vets who at the very least can provide veteran leadership.

Holcomb is possible but a replacement #3 will have to come free that we are interested in, I don't think Kingsbury makes the team. A positive in Holcomb's favor is that he's more expensive to cut than to keep so even if we're planning on sitting him the whole year it's cheaper than cutting him, eating the difference, AND signing someone else. That's a lot of money for a #3 QB.

We might play QB roster games during week 1. If a veteran player is on the roster on week 1 they are guaranteed their entire salary, if they aren't signed until week 2 they are not. We might axe Holcomb at the last cut, go w/ only 2 QBs during week one, sneak a young guy through that we don't want to cut, then sign a QB during week 2 and either shady IR the guy we didn't want to cut or try to sneak him through waivers that week...after all the other teams have basically solidified their rosters.

Holcomb is possible but a replacement #3 will have to come free that we are interested in, I don't think Kingsbury makes the team.  A positive in Holcomb's favor is that he's more expensive to cut than to keep so even if we're planning on sitting him the whole year it's cheaper than cutting him, eating the difference, AND signing someone else.  That's a lot of money for a #3 QB. 

We might play QB roster games during week 1.  If a veteran player is on the roster on week 1 they are guaranteed their entire salary, if they aren't signed until week 2 they are not.  We might axe Holcomb at the last cut, go w/ only 2 QBs during week one, sneak a young guy through that we don't want to cut, then sign a QB during week 2 and either shady IR the guy we didn't want to cut or try to sneak him through waivers that week...after all the other teams have basically solidified their rosters.

749331[/snapback]

I'm still hopin' for...

Jared Lorenzen

I hate Lorenzen.  He was a fat worthless QB in college and he's the same in the NFL.

749352[/snapback]

I dunno. He looked pretty good the other night. I'm told he's wily in the backfield, but I didn't see him doing much moving around because he protection was pretty good.

We are obviously rebuilding, so let's get on with it.  We all can plainly see that these old farts have nothing left in their respective tanks.  Maybe we can sign some last minute cuts with money saved.

749311[/snapback]

No offense, but whenever I read a post like this and then check the number of total posts for the author, the total is usually less than 20, I'm not sure why that is. I would be suprised if any of these 3 got cut this year, especially Vilareal who is tight with Jauron. Now as far far as next season goes, all 3 could be on other teams by then.

I would be suprised if any of these 3 got cut this year, especially Vilareal who is tight with Jauron.

749376[/snapback]

Who knows if CV is physically capable of playing football? He has sucked since just before the end of 2004.

Ralph might very well cut TV to send a message to the NFLPA. I doubt if he would be missed much in terms of his ability as a football player. In fact, he probably sucks.

As bad as he seems, Holcomb might be the least likely of these 3 possible cuts.

Who knows if CV is physically capable of playing football? He has sucked since just before the end of 2004.

Ralph might very well cut TV to send a message to the NFLPA. I doubt if he would be missed much in terms of his ability as a football player. In fact, he probably sucks.

As bad as he seems, Holcomb might be the least likely of these 3 possible cuts.

749382[/snapback]

Agreed, the first 2 would not be missed at all... the only way I maybe see KH gone is if one of Fairchild's former QB's with the Rams (ie. Jamie Martin) is available after final cuts.

I dunno. He looked pretty good the other night. I'm told he's wily in the backfield, but I didn't see him doing much moving around because he protection was pretty good.

749367[/snapback]

"BATTLE OF THE WEEK: QB Jared Lorenzen seems to have pulled ahead of Rob Johnson in the battle for the third string position, and now he is making headway in his attempt to unseat Tim Hasselbeck as the backup to Eli Manning. Through the two preseason games, Lorenzen is the only one besides Manning to have seen action each week; he came in for Hasselbeck Aug. 11 in Baltimore and came in when Johnson was done last Thursday vs. K.C."

(link)

He was 3/4 - 24 yds - passing, plus one rushing 1st down against KC.