Losman and Nall to play most of CLE game

"We probably won't see much of Kelly this week because we need to see more of Craig," said Jauron in reference to Saturday's preseason game with Cleveland. "Between J.P. and Craig they'll probably take most if not all of this game."

Jauron said nothing should be read into Nall's increased workload for preseason game number three concerning the backup quarterback job.

"You can read something into that," said Jauron. "But from my point of view you shouldn't."

Link to the story here.

Jauron also went on to say nothing has changed on the depth chart and that JP is still the frontrunner. I think this is a good move as Losman gets his reps in and gets more comfortable, tuning up for the season opener. I think he's more of a frontrunner than Jauron lets on to be honest, and the first half will be about getting Losman more time with the first unit. The second half will be about Nall showing the coaching staff he can hold down the backup job, in my own opinion.

No need for Holcomb to get any time, we know what we've got there. He can have the 4th quarter of the last game to stay sharp.

Link to the story here.

Jauron also went on to say nothing has changed on the depth chart and that JP is still the frontrunner. I think this is a good move as Losman gets his reps in and gets more comfortable, tuning up for the season opener. I think he's more of a frontrunner than Jauron lets on to be honest, and the first half will be about getting Losman more time with the first unit. The second half will be about Nall showing the coaching staff he can hold down the backup job, in my own opinion.

No need for Holcomb to get any time, we know what we've got there. He can have the 4th quarter of the last game to stay sharp.

748891[/snapback]

I've been waiting to hear what we'd be doing against the Browns offensively. Thanks for the alert.

I'v never really commented on the QB battle as I'm not at camp everyday to observe the players.

At first I really thought Nall was going to achieve "tool" status however just from what I read and what others had stated.

He has surprised me greatly and I'm anxious to see what he'll be capable of against the Browns. No offense to Holcomb but if you don't have an arm it seems that you are not fit for this offense

Of course I couldn't see or hear the game, I had to "read" it on nfl.com but other posters have stated that he appeared quite poised and leader-like.

I can't really say that.  What did surprise me is KH going from a respectable backup to nearly getting cut.  WTF?

748999[/snapback]

In order of likelihood, I think the reason for the KH implosion are:

1. This is really a different scheme and approach than KH has seen and he has had trouble making the correct reads and performing in an offense which emphasizes good reads. This is somewaht surprising since the offense plays to his likely strengths of demanding short passes with good RAC rather than seeing the long-bomb as more than a change-up to keep the D honest. Dump-offs are a designed weapon rather than a desperation move he has turned to often enough to do them well. However, the production facts simply are that he and the O have struggled.

Given his 10 years of experience and articulation that he is comfortable being a #3, he actually should be quite fine as a #3 to have. Why folks would want to cut a clipboard carrier is somewhat beyond me and seems to be because sme folks are most entertained by seeing overpaid players experience pain and bad news. Its like watching a cat play with a dead bird.

2. Fairchild has really not unleashed the full scheme yet as the "real" Bills O will involve a whole new set of plays really designed to give the WR some quick separation. Fairchild has not shown these plays in games so as to not give Belicheck or any opponents film to prepare for these plays and also to not reveal how the Bills are going to use crossing patterns to set picks desigjed to free up speedy recievers which could be called for penalties once refs are watching for them.

I doubt this wishful thinking is true as if KH is having problems because our real O is not there, then JP also should be having as many problems. Also, though Nall has been more productive than KH (this can be done without saying much), even though he showed good (though not great) results it was against the other teams scrubs. Still JP and Nall are definitely performing far relatively better than KH running the same vanilla O.

3. KH simply has hit the wall after a long Todd Collinsesque career. While his drop-off so quickly from reasonable #2 levels to #3 at best is surprising, this unlikely scenario is what I think has happened here.

4. KH has always been bad, and now even the simpletons can see how brilliant the folks who completely dismissed him are. I think that while KH has never really commanded and held the starting QB job in the NFL for the real reason that he simply is not good enough to be a consistent starter, I think this indictment is way too harsh. The fact is that he has been episodically quite good as an NFL QB. This inconsistency has made folks correctly judge he is not a starter, he was not an unreasonable choice for us by TD as a #2 and it is hoped Nall will show some good stuff as the second QB against the Browns and after JP runs a good series oer plays a good quarter in the 4th game that he will merit the #2 job. KH looks like a good #3 for us.

Can't wait for Nall to rip it up now that he is over the injury.

749265[/snapback]

Rip up what? His hamstring for the third time? :devil:

Nall may do well against Cleveland, and I hope he does. But he won't be the starting QB this year for the Bills unless JP gets hurt. He has been miserable in camp and practices. Even though he is apparently a "gamer", it's not enough. He makes too many mistakes and doesn't have the same physical tools as JP. From my observations of him in camp.