Evans Will Be Great # 1

Evans looks like he is going to prove that he is a solid #1 receiver. I think Roscoe can really be a solid #3 receiver who gets open on those third downs with his speed. As far as the #2 receiver, who is this going to be? Now that this Price debacle is starting to escalate, he might not even make the team. 2 games with no receptions and now he is missing from practice!!!

Please don't tell me that Josh Reed is going to fill this role. I always have and always will think this guy needs to get off the team. So he had one mediocre year last year - he still drops at LEAST one huge ball a game. Something is wrong with this guy and someone else needs to step up to the plate. Who is it going to be? Maybe the Bills do need to go out and get a FA because Losman is going to need all the help possible.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's a good chance Aiken is ready to take over the #2 role.  He's tough.  He blocks downfield.  He breaks tackles.  Am I crazy?

748280[/snapback]

Funny, I was gonna post the same thing in the same way!

I guess that there is no logical reason to expect Aiken to be the #2, but this is what I hope for nonetheless. He looked strong last year. This year, he is a friggin monster. It would be nice to see a big guy at #2.

I think there's a good chance Aiken is ready to take over the #2 role.  He's tough.  He blocks downfield.  He breaks tackles.  Am I crazy?  Wouldn't that be the ideal compliment to Evans' style?

748280[/snapback]

I would have absolutely no problem with Aiken being the number two guy. I don't care about who is getting paid what, the best man gets the job in this new regime.

I really think the Bills are going to rotate them all, and we're going to have four #2 WRs (or, if you're a pessimist, four #4 or #5 WR). Each of them does something different. Fairchild will use them in various combinations. If one produces more he will see the field more but I doubt any of them will be very consistent. And then everyone will complain that no one has stepped up. But I see three guys getting 30 catches rather than one guy getting 90. And if that happens we will be fine. Roscoe will always be in the mix and will almost always play on passing downs IMO. Aiken could indeed usurp Reed if he can hold onto the ball like he has so far. Davis may not make the team, although I think they may keep six WR.

Evans looks like he is going to prove that he is a solid #1 receiver. e else needs to step up to the plate. Who is it going to be? Maybe the Bills do need to go out and get a FA because Losman is going to need all the help possible.

748275[/snapback]

Evans is the real deal.

B'gals 6' 3" Kelley Washington bears watching. He signed for the RFA minimum, but he had a 3rd round penalty for suitors. That goes aside if he's axed. It probably depends on if b'gals wr Henry gets sent up the river for his felony gun charge in Fla. He's in court today - I'm sure the B'gals brass are p-o'd that the case hasn't yet been adjuciated for obvious reasons.

I hope Roscoe gets playing time. Slot, #2, #3, whatever. I'm hopeful that he will move the sticks.

I would have absolutely no problem with Aiken being the number two guy. I don't care about who is getting paid what, the best man gets the job in this new regime.

748283[/snapback]

True, if there'e one thing I'm sure about in Marv's tenure to this point, it's that he overpaid for Price and Reed. Had he not went after those two symbols of past Bills failure, he could have easily invested that money in a Keyshawn Johnson or a Brandon Lloyd, both of whom would make excellent 2's or even 1B's. Those are two moves I didn't understand then, and understand even less now. When starting a new regime, why would Marv go out of his way to perpetuate the failed moves of his predecessor? I know, here comes the posts saying its too early to say anything about Reed and Price, and to wait until the season starts. But, if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that the more things change, the more they stay the same, and that history repeats itself. Reed and Price were bums then, and they are bums now. The only difference is now they are rich bums.

True, if there'e one thing I'm sure about in Marv's tenure to this point, it's that he overpaid for Price and Reed. Had he not went after those two symbols of past Bills failure, he could have easily invested that money in a Keyshawn Johnson or a Brandon Lloyd, both of whom would make excellent 2's or even 1B's. Those are two moves I didn't understand then, and understand even less now. When starting a new regime, why would Marv go out of his way to perpetuate the failed moves of his predecessor? I know, here comes the posts saying its too early to say anything about Reed and Price, and to wait until the season starts. But, if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that the more things change, the more they stay the same, and that history repeats itself. Reed and Price were bums then, and they are bums now. The only difference is now they are rich bums.

748289[/snapback]

I could not have said it better myself. Why in the world did Marv overpay so much for these two guys? I just hope that $$$ invested does not translate into keeping them around for the sake of it. I would not flinch if they let go of one of those guys (because I doubt both will be released). I guess we will find out shortly what is wrong with Peerless. In the mean time, keep dropping Reed down the depth chart and hope someone grabs his spot.

Just to get it straight, Peerless got a $1.8 million signing bonus. If we cut him after this year, it costs us 1.35 million off the cap next year and that's it total. Not really a huge deal in the overall scheme of things. If we cut him now, which we won't do, it would cost 1.8 for this year total, we're done with him and we have the money. It wasn't as huge an investment as it seems, although we surely could have got him for less. In fact, if he regains his game up to where he was before, it will be a steal. That's not completely out of the question. He's a good #2 in this league. He's just a punk and kitty and doesn't like to block, which keeps him from being a great #2. He does four things very well, he runs good routes, he has good hands, he has very good speed and he's very good after the catch. There aren't a ton of #2's who are as good at him at those things, which are four of the top 6-7 things you need out of a WR.

I think Reed is better than a lot of people here want to give him credit for. Yes, he has a history of dropping some easy ones, but he proved something to me last year as a 3rd down option--he does not give up on a play and has made some tough 3rd down conversions when no one else seemed able.

Here's how I rate the WR's in terms of value to this team:

1. Evans

2. Aiken (maybe a little wishful thinking here)

3. Parrish

4. Reed

5. Price

I think Roscoe is the perfect little speedy slot guy. I've said on numerous occasions that he is our version of Dante Hall. What he can do for the Chiefs, Parrish can do for us. I think Aiken might end up doing a respectable job as a #2 guy based on his performance so far. I think Peerless should be let go so we take the cap hit this year. This is looking like more and more of a bonehead move to sign him in the first place. Sad that we have to give him 2.5 mill to walk away, but they should've taken more of a note of his "character" after he had the decent year or so here the first go around.

I think there's a good chance Aiken is ready to take over the #2 role.  He's tough.  He blocks downfield.  He breaks tackles.  Am I crazy?  Wouldn't that be the ideal compliment to Evans' style?

748280[/snapback]

I agree! Lee will be a great #1, Aiken solid #2, Roscoe working the slot and Josh Reed as our 4th wideout. I would like to see Peerless on the field as little as possible

True, if there'e one thing I'm sure about in Marv's tenure to this point, it's that he overpaid for Price and Reed.

748289[/snapback]

I'll agree on Reed as there was no way his contract should have been extended as he hasn't proven anything and is a misfit as a #2 opposite Evans as he is a small target with questionable hands and no ability to go deep. And futhermore Parrish seems to be a better fit in the slot. Even though I hate Keyshawn, I would much rather see him start opposite Evans. I can deal with the Price signing as he won't break the bank and he can at least he can be a deep threat. Before the season began I was hoping Aiken was the odd man out but now I feel he deserves a chance to compete for the #2 spot as he has earned a look. He and Lee seem to have the best chemistry with JP and Aiken is a physical WR who may not be a burner can get deep on occasion (as seen in the JP overthrow in the Carolina game) and may be factor in the redzone. If Davis or Price doesn't step their game up then the job should be Aiken's to loose.

He does four things very well, he runs good routes, he has good hands, he has very good speed and he's very good after the catch.

748297[/snapback]

We're usually on the same page Mr Dog, but I have to disagree with a couple of these points.

1) I think his routes are absolutely atrocious. They are regularly rounded off, frequently uncompleted and often run without conviction.

2) I think his hands are average at best, but closer to a liability than an asset.

3) If he had very good speed, one would have little difficulty recalling instances where he's caught balls behind the secondary. Can you recall any?

4) I agree he's good in the open field, but in traffic forget it.

We're usually on the same page Mr Dog, but I have to disagree with a couple of these points.

1) I think his routes are absolutely atrocious. They are regularly rounded off, frequently uncompleted and often run without conviction.

2) I think his hands are average at best, but closer to a liability than an asset.

3) If he had very good speed, one would have little difficulty recalling instances where he's caught balls behind the secondary. Can you recall any?

748374[/snapback]

I'm not sure where you are getting this from Simon. Please enlighten me. I'm serious here, not being sarcastic. :blush:

On your points:

1) I didn't see that in camp at all. Can't really recall from when he was here in '03

2) I don't recall him ever having a drop issue. He DID have a few too many fumbles that happened from extra effort attampts

3) In '03 he caught a ton of passes where the route was of medium distance and he outran the rest of the coverage to the endzone. OFfhand I remember the Vikings game, the Texans game, and I think the Raider game. In Camp he has gotten a few deep completions as well.

4) I agree on his troubles in traffic.

I think, if you don't mind me taking the liberty, that you just REALLY prefer the stronger, better blocking, all around receivers in this league, which PP is not. I think he will do well in this offense, especially since the #2 position looks to be somewhat situational in this scheme.

I would love to know who JP would like to have as his starting three. I bet he would name Evans, Aiken and Parrish. If those three can keep improving and somehow a tight end joins the mix, the Bills might actually have an offense again. I was at the Cinci game and don't recall one throw aimed at a tight end.......true?

I would love to know who JP would like to have as his starting three. I bet he would name Evans, Aiken and Parrish. If those three can keep improving and somehow a tight end joins the mix, the Bills might actually have an offense again.  I was at the Cinci game and don't recall one throw aimed at a tight end.......true?

748401[/snapback]

Royal had 1 catch. Everett played in the 4th, but no pass plays.

748374[/snapback]

I'm taking umbrage with your umbrage! :blush:

1. When Price was a member of the Bills, he was almost always open. He really was. Most people's criticisms were that he was in a position to get the ball and wouldn't fight for it, but that by definition meant he was open. Watching him, I think he has very quick feet and tremendous acceleration and very decent change of direction and cutting ability. That allows him to get open. I have read everywhere that he runs very good or great routes from reporters and from quarterbacks and from people at camp. You and a few Price detrators are the only ones that say he runs atrocious routes. Shying away from contact over the middle or not fighting for the ball after it is thrown has nothing to do with running lousy routes. That's a fair criticism and certainly true but not in his route running.

2. Price has great hands. He very rarely drops passes, although all WRs do at times. Both of his last two years on the Bills he showed much better hands than even Moulds, dropping far less easy passes and hanging onto tough ones. In fact, the only times I recall him dropping them were the alligator arms ones, of which there were a few but not a gross amount. They are just blatant and memorable.

3. He hasn't had a ton of long balls caught, no, but there is no denying his speed. He runs by people all the time. The Bills haven't been able to get the ball deep a lot, even when Drew was slinging them all over. Price is fast. Its not even arguable IMO.

4. I could be wrong but IMO in close spots, with guys on him, in traffic, he still shows good hands. It is when he believes he's going to be whacked that the alligator arms come out. There is no doubt he shies away from contact a lot and doesn't like going across the middle. But I think he can catch in traffic, it is when he can't see a guy and thinks he's going to get blindsided or pulverized that he flinches and then misses the ball. But that doesn't happen all that often. It's just glaring when it does.