Naming Rights

BILLS02138

After reading the article from the Gazette - the BILLS should sell the naming rights to the stadium, the field house, the lots, and the entrances to the stadium, etc.

Go to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough and everything has a name on it. The Bills do too; but it's time to max it out in Orchard Park.

Regarding the "Name" of the stadium however - it doesn't necessarily have to be a local company - M&T Bank (nah, already attached to the Ravens); HSBC Stadium? (nah, they have the arena downtown). Although nice if it were local; we could maybe reach out to Toronto - to further help regionalize the team.

But at the same time, I wouldn't complain if Bob Rich stepped back up to the plate - Rich Stadium, seems familiar. (Does anyone know why that agreement wasn't renewed/continued? I know Erie County and Ralph came up with the new name; but it would have made more sense to sell the damn name! It would at least give Ralph more creditibility, esp when it comes to revenue sharing. How can we ask for more when we're not maxed out to our potential?) Anyhow...

What about New Era Park? New Era is currently building their headquarters in downtown Buffalo... I really like the ring of the Buffalo Bills playing at New Era Park... just an idea; get on it Ralph/Marv.

Ya know, Mr. Golisano has publically expressed interest in purchasing the Buffalo Bills. If he were serious, he should step up and offer a very generous package (just for naming rights) to Ralph with Paychex Park... I don't mind that, either.

OR, The BSC Coliseum: here is something new to Buffalo: NEW outside money is coming to Buffalo --> Did you hear the news about the 29 year old Kuwaiti/Manchester, England developer who recently bought the Statler tower in downtown Buffalo? The guy is loaded. Check this out!

Not only is he self financing the $80Million renovation/preservation of The Statler - he's building a new, very TALL tower in BUF:

"Bashar Issa says he believes in Buffalo and its people, and will soon announce a second project.

Issa said, "We have already acquired other land in the city center of Buffalo. We have already commissioned Canon Design to actually design a dramatic building. ... It's not far from the Statler. It will be very tall. It will be an iconic, symbolic building.

We'll have to wait a few weeks for more details."

This guy can clearly afford to pony up $75 million for naming rights - but he can probably partner up with Golisano to buy the Bills out right!

Which leads me to my next statement: You probably don't know this but there is a ton of development occuring in downtown Buffalo - it's time to seriously start thinking about getting that new stadium built downtown. If we were smart - we could have coaxed Pataki to "donate" tax dollars & leave a legacy in Buffalo for a new stadium before he departs this fall; afterall, he just gave $200,000,000 for a new convention center in ALBANY. What the heck! (again, I still believe Buffalo needs to steal the original plans for the Jets West Side Stadium in Manhattan that included a stadium and convention center and build it in downtown Buffalo. Buffalo needs to get rid of that eyesore for a convention center - and will one day - need a new stadium for the BILLS).

Let's do it. I'm tired of Buffalo thinking small and the region letting it's insecurity and reputation take over.

GO BILLS <_<

After reading the article from the Gazette - the BILLS should sell the naming rights to the stadium, the field house, the lots, and the entrances to the stadium, etc. 

Go to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough and everything has a name on it.  The Bills do too; but it's time to max it out in Orchard Park.

Regarding the "Name" of the stadium however - it doesn't necessarily have to be a local company - M&T Bank (nah, already attached to the Ravens); HSBC Stadium? (nah, they have the arena downtown).  Although nice if it were local; we could maybe reach out to Toronto - to further help regionalize the team.

But at the same time, I wouldn't complain if Bob Rich stepped back up to the plate - Rich Stadium, seems familiar. (Does anyone know why that agreement wasn't renewed/continued?  I know Erie County and Ralph came up with the new name; but it would have made more sense to sell the damn name!  It would at least give Ralph more creditibility, esp when it comes to revenue sharing.  How can we ask for more when we're not maxed out to our potential?)  Anyhow...

What about New Era Park?  New Era is currently building their headquarters in downtown Buffalo... I really like the ring of the Buffalo Bills playing at New Era Park... just an idea; get on it Ralph/Marv.

Ya know, Mr. Golisano has publically expressed interest in purchasing the Buffalo Bills.  If he were serious, he should step up and offer a very generous package (just for naming rights) to Ralph with Paychex Park... I don't mind that, either.

OR, The BSC Coliseum: here is something new to Buffalo: NEW outside money is coming to Buffalo --> Did you hear the news about the 29 year old Kuwaiti/Manchester, England developer who recently bought the Statler tower in downtown Buffalo?  The guy is loaded. Check this out!

Not only is he self financing the $80Million renovation/preservation of The Statler - he's building a new, very TALL tower in BUF:

"Bashar Issa says he believes in Buffalo and its people, and will soon announce a second project.

Issa said, "We have already acquired other land in the city center of Buffalo. We have already commissioned Canon Design to actually design a dramatic building. ... It's not far from the Statler. It will be very tall. It will be an iconic, symbolic building.

We'll have to wait a few weeks for more details."

This guy can clearly afford to pony up $75 million for naming rights - but he can probably partner up with Golisano to buy the Bills out right!

Which leads me to my next statement: You probably don't know this but there is a ton of development occuring in downtown Buffalo - it's time to seriously start thinking about getting that new stadium built downtown.  If we were smart - we could have coaxed Pataki to "donate" tax dollars & leave a legacy in Buffalo for a new stadium before he departs this fall; afterall, he just gave $200,000,000 for a new convention center in ALBANY.  What the heck!  (again, I still believe Buffalo needs to steal the original plans for the Jets West Side Stadium in Manhattan that included a stadium and convention center and build it in downtown Buffalo.  Buffalo needs to get rid of that eyesore for a convention center - and will one day - need a new stadium for the BILLS).

Let's do it.  I'm tired of Buffalo thinking small and the region letting it's insecurity and reputation take over. 

GO BILLS <_<

747723[/snapback]

I don't know the specifics of the deal, but i believe ralph has a $$ interest in NOT selling the naming rights to the stadium (or if they are sold, the profits go to erie county instead of ralph)...

I believe one of the main points that must be addressed when ralph attends training camp in the sky is the deal with the stadium and the county. If a big money guy like golisano buys the bills, he should also look at the stadium deal.

I don't know the specifics of the deal, but i believe ralph has a $$ interest in NOT selling the naming rights to the stadium (or if they are sold, the profits go to erie county instead of ralph)...

I believe one of the main points that must be addressed when ralph attends training camp in the sky is the deal with the stadium and the county.  If a big money guy like golisano buys the bills, he should also look at the stadium deal.

747729[/snapback]

Ralph would get the $'s from selling the naming rights to the stadium. I doubt he would ever allow someone to buy the right to put their name or their company's name on the marquee because he HATED the fact that the naming rights to the stadium were sold when it was built.

Ralph would get the $'s from selling the naming rights to the stadium.  I doubt he would ever allow someone to buy the right to put their name or their company's name on the marquee because he HATED the fact that the naming rights to the stadium were sold when it was built.

He likely won't have any choice. I'm sure one of the qualifiers for revenue sharing be that the team's stadium must have their naming rights sold. And I think that's a reasonable request.

He likely won't have any choice.  I'm sure one of the qualifiers for revenue sharing be that the team's stadium must have their naming rights sold.  And I think that's a reasonable request.

747800[/snapback]

OK, let me rephrase it to the following. I doubt he would ever WILLINGLY allow someone to buy the right to put their name or their company's name on the marquee because he HATED the fact that the naming rights to the stadium were sold when it was built.

I was just looking at it from the aspect of the lease with Erie County. I have no idea how the NFL's CBA works and will readily defer to others far more knowledgable on that issue.

OK, let me rephrase it to the following.  I doubt he would ever WILLINGLY allow someone to buy the right to put their name or their company's name on the marquee because he HATED the fact that the naming rights to the stadium were sold when it was built.

I thought that well-known. When the Rich Products' rights ran out in 1998, Ralph said he didn't want to cheapen the stadium by selling the naming rights again.

Personally I think he's waiting for the team to become good again before he sells them. They're not worth much right now with the team playing like crap, but if they become good again, the rights will be worth a LOT more.

I thought that well-known.  When the Rich Products' rights ran out in 1998, Ralph said he didn't want to cheapen the stadium by selling the naming rights again.

Personally I think he's waiting for the team to become good again before he sells them.  They're not worth much right now with the team playing like crap, but if they become good again, the rights will be worth a LOT more.

747810[/snapback]

I would have thought that as well, but the initial posts in this thread seem to contradict that assumption.

I thought you were talking about the franchise, not the naming rights.

I bet the naming rights are less than $2 million per year.

Yeah, I was talking naming rights and I agree $2M at best.

As for franchise worth, it's in the $700M range. Kinda hard to see a potential owner, after the new joke of a CBA, saying "hmmm, I'd LOVE to plunk down $700M+ and have to look for a handout every year just to make a profit!"

You guys are right!! People say the Bills are missing out on big money by not giving the naming rights to someone. Max 2M a year. So less than 2% of the budget. Not really gonna be the difference maker between the big and small market teams is it?

You guys are right!!  People say the Bills are missing out on big money by not giving the naming rights to someone.  Max 2M a year.  So less than 2% of the budget.  Not really gonna be the difference maker between the big and small market teams is it?

No it's not, as I said. But Ralph HAS to do it, given it's a potential revenue stream he's left untapped.

You guys are right!!  People say the Bills are missing out on big money by not giving the naming rights to someone.  Max 2M a year.  So less than 2% of the budget.  Not really gonna be the difference maker between the big and small market teams is it?

747982[/snapback]

2 million a year could be the difference in offering a FA a 12 million bonus instead of a 10 million. Or a 6 mil a year contract instead of a 4 mil a year.