Well, here it is.....My Post Game Report!

sven233

Hey guys! Well, I just got back from the game and there is quite a bit to talk about. It was a really an up and down outing with a lot of great moments and a lot of horrible mistakes. Without actually seeing the tape, I am sure there was a lot I missed, but I am really only going to concentrate on the "bigger" issues that pertain with the starting offense and starting defense.

STARTING OFFENSE

Man, it was either REALLY good, or REALLY bad. There wasn't a whole lot in the middle.

The first drive of the game was looking great. Losman was sharp and the WRs were making plays. First of all, as a lot of you know, I have been pretty critical of the offensive line. Now, while they were not perfect tonight, I came away fairly impressed with their performance tonight. Now, I realize that the Bengals were banged up on defense and didn't have their whole D-Line intact, but I can only state my opinion on who they did play tonight. On the first drive, and for the most part overall, they did a solid job in pass protection. JP had time to throw and find guys open. We have a lot of speed at WR and if JP can get some time to throw, I really believe some good things will happen. The big play on the first drive was of course the McGahee fumble. He had been running faily effectively picking up 3-4 yards a carry until that run. He had a nice seem in the middle of the line and almost broke the run, but was held up by the ankles and the defender simply came up from behind while he was trying to slip the tackle and knocked the ball out. Was a pretty good run, but Willis got caught and coughed it up. It happens, but we can't afford that mistake from our playmaker.

Now, onto the play us McGahee fans have been waiting for. The 61 yard run. Now, I will get to the run itself in a minute, but first of all I must say that this run was blocked PERFECTLY. Gandy made a HUGE block to spring McGahee on the run and the other O-LINE did their jobs as well. But, for those who have not seen it yet, or didn't watch the O-Line in the hilights, when you see the run, watch Gandy on the play. High praises to him. As for the run, it was fairly easy for Willis overall. After Gandy sealed off his block, McGahee hit the hole and made a quick cut back inside and juked the last defender out of his shoes. After that, it was just a foot race to the endzone. However, there were a couple points of interest on the run after he made the move to get free. He turned on the jets when he got free and outran everyone for about the first 40-45 yards. I mean, he left them in the dust. BUT, it almost looked like he hit a wall at some point because he started to really labor for the last 20 yards or so. It looked as though someone just jumped on his back and he just slowed down and he was almost caught. so, I have mixed feelings on the run. For the first time, I saw that burst that we have been looking for. There was another gear there, but it didn't last long. I know, he made it, but I would like to see a little more stamina at the end of the run. It should not have been as close as it was. If he can get that stamina up and get to the point where he can finish that kind of run strong and not worry about being caught from behind. But, regardless of all that.........WE JUST SAW WILLIS BREAK HIS FIRST REAL BIG RUN IN THE NFL AND HE SHOWED THE INITIAL BURST THAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR.

Now, onto the QBs. As I stated, early on, JP was very sharp. He was hitting his WRs in perfect stride and looked like he was on his way to locking up he starting job. Then, IT happened..........he threw the INT. It was a terrible throw and he just read the defense completely wrong and they killed us. It was almost as bad as Holcomb's throw last week. The big difference was the reasons they were picked off. Holcomb's was picked off because he can't throw hard at all. He floated the ball out there and it was just WEAK. JP's was picked because he misread the defense badly and just threw it right to the guy. BAD MISTAKE. At this point, we had given up 14 points on offense!!!!!!!!! We just can't do that. Perhaps the best thing to see of the whole game, however, was to see JP rebound on the very next series. He moved the ball right down the field and thre a PERFECT ball to Evans for the TD. I am not sure what the final stat was on the pass, but he put that 40-45 yard ball RIGHT ON THE MONEY. In another interesting note on that play, both Evans and Price ran the same route....a stop and go. THEY BOTH SMOKED THEIR DEFENDERS AND BOTH WERE WIDE OPEN ON THE PLAY. Either on would have scored. I have said it before and will say it again. SPEED KILLS and will open up so many options on offense. McGahee will have some room to roam this year just because there will be a fear of the big play and the defense will not be able to play 8 or 9 in the box. So, that was nice to see from JP. Then, he comes right back and puts the ball on the ground twice at the end of the half. I reallly don't have a lot to say on this other than the fact that THIS CAN'T HAPPEN!!!! That led to more point by the Bengals. Out of the total points we gave up in the first half, AT LEAST 17 WERE THE DIRECT RESULT OF THE OFFENSE, NOT THE DEFENSE! We won't win that many games this year by giving p 17+ points on offense! So, all in all, it was a VERY UP AND DOWN night for Losman. As for the other QBs, there really isn't much to say. Holcomb was his usual self. Just played it safe and threw short most of the time. Not much to say on him. However, Nall showed a good command of the offense tonight. He didn't do a lot, but he showed he could manage the game. Threw the TD pass and led the team on another late scoring drive. Nall showed much better that Holcomb in my opinion and deserves more playing time next week. Now, as bad as JP was for those 3-5 plays tonight, neither of the other 2 QBs showed me enough to unseat him. JP DOES represent our best chance to win and I expect him to start next week. HE IS OUR STARTING QB COME OPENING DAY unless he is just COMPLETELY TERRIBLE the next 2 weeks. He is always looking down the field trying to make plays. He has the srongest arm of the 3, by far, and is the most athletic. He is the best QB on this team right now. However, don't be surprised at all if Nall ends up being the backup here. He shows a better command of the offense than Holcomb. Holcomb looks lost out there. He really does. I'll say it right now........DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HOLCOMB IS CUT BEFORE THE SEASON AND NALL BECOMES THE BACKUP. I'm not saying it will happen, but I have a hard time seeing Holcomb as a #3 QB on this team.

As for the WRs, they all played pretty well. Evans had a great game with 2 plays over 40 yards and a TD. Reed dropped a ball that I thought should have been caught. Andre Davis might have a tough time making this team. As I mentioed above, Price could have easily had the TD that Evans had because he has his guy beaten badly as well. Nobody can cover Parrish. That guy in the slot is an impossible matchup for most teams. He will break several plays this year if he stays healthy. Could be a big contributor on offense.

In regards to the O-Line, I mentioned them above. Being there it was hard to see on a lot of plays what was happening with individual players, but I thought it was their best game in a long time. Again, Gandy made a huge block to spring Willis for that TD.

Overall, the starting offense was solid aside from the BIG mistakes. They moved the ball and did score 17 points in the half they played. Unfortunately they gave up just as many points as they scored on those big plays. If they can correct those HUGE errors, there were a lot of bright spots tonight.

STARTING DEFENSE

They played pretty well tonight. They forced a lot of 3 and outs and, for the most part, did their job. There were not a lot of individual players that stood out tonight, but there were some things worth noting. Tripplett was quick off the ball and recorded a sack tonight. Whitner was around the ball a lot and made some noce plays. HOWEVER, he dropped a sure INT that he had right in his hands. WHITNER NEEDS TO MAKE THAT PLAY! Chad Johnson smoked our DBs on several occasions and did have a TD tonight. He really is, like him or not (I DO....the guy is entertaining), perhaps the best WR in the game. Just a tough matchup for anyone. Other than Johnson, our D contained everone else for the most part. A solid outing and pretty encouraging to see. I am not sure of the exact stat in terms of Time Of Possession in the first half, but it seemed like the Bills controlled play most of the time and the defense didn't have a ton to do. They did force several 3 and outs which really help. Just remember, the Bengals may have scored 24 or so points in the first half, but our offense was responsible for most of the. The defense played well overall.

I am not really putting much stock in the second half of the game. It really got out of hand and it was mostly because of the players that were in there. A lot of these guys won't be on the team and you could see why. So, I am limiting this report to the starters for the most part.

It was a good night out. Good to see live football again. I will be there next week as well and will give my report after that game is over and I get home again. Just a quick note, I would like to thank the people responsile for getting me there tonight. You know who you are. It was very nice of you to send the tickets. We had a great time. I will be back during the week and probably have some more thoughts on the game tomorrow as I get a chance to see the tape. Until then, thanks again for reading!

Apparently Losman made the right read and Reed ran the wrong route.

747081[/snapback]

In his post-game comments JP said that Josh did exactly what he was coached to do and that the pick was his (JP's) error. Jauron said that Cinci did something on D that JP hasn't seen and he didn't respond correctly. DJ was more concerned about the fumbles.

A couple things. First off, Willis was dehydrated/vomiting , which explains his lack of stamina. Second of all, the INT was Reed's fault, as per Tasker and Marshall Faulk, who were analyzing the play after it happened. JP took the blame for it, but he did it so as to not throw JR under the bus. Lastly, WRT the fumbles, JP was sacked 26 times last year and coughed it up once. And I heard he had NO time on the 2nd fumble. Sure you don't like to see those plays, but given his history, I doubt it's a real problem.

A couple things.  First off, Willis was dehydrated/vomiting , which explains his lack of stamina.  Second of all, the INT was Reed's fault, as per Tasker and Marshall Faulk, who were analyzing the play after it happened.

Which of them are offensive coaches for the BILLS? Seriously, if Coach Jauron says JP missed a read, chances are that's exactly what happened.

Damn man, U in the game like EA Sports. I thought I was at the game, and I didn't even see it. You get a A on the report, U ain't got no pics, or interviews. I am glad J.P. is making theses mistakes now, when they don't count. When the season starts he can't be making those bonehead plays!

Nice recap.

I would like to add that our run defense is doing an outstanding job so far. A few goaline stands the first two weeks, and very few breakers getting by.

JP's 2nd fumble, it looked like he hopped in the air or some BS. He didn't have time, but with 30 seconds left...EAT IT!

The skill players on offense were blocking 50 yds downfield. It cost us a penalty late in the half, but on Evans' first big catch, Shelton leveled someone 20 yds away, and Peerless was running full speed and had hands all over a defender. I really like Price's attitude so far, and I hope he gets some balls thrown his way soon to keep him hungry.

Special teams isn't missing a beat from last year. Punts and coverage continue to be excellent, although they are playing around with returners to find a combo. Lindell, nice boot....but gags on the kickoff.

One question....why did we decline a holding in the endzone and give up a safety in the 1st?

Overall, even though we made mistakes, we were making progress the times we weren't making mistakes. No more spinning our wheels. I walked out thinking that was one of the top 4 or 5 games in entertainment value at the Ralph since '03.

Apparently Losman made the right read and Reed ran the wrong route.

747081[/snapback]

In his post game conference, JP took the "blame". I thought that showed class.

Willis was dehydrated and puking on the sidelines. That may be why he ran out of gas on that 65 yarder.

Sitting in row 3 of the end zone it was hard to rate a lot of what happened. I do know that unless he gets more consistent, JP will make you dance and then he will make you cry.

Put a fork in Holcomb.

Don't get too excited about Nall yet. He was playing in garbage time at the end of the game. He is not WORSE than Holcomb, though. <_<

Lionel Gates looked good but has to learn that on 3rd and one you charge forward behind your linemen; dancing means you punt. He seemed like his ankle still bothered him.

Lindell kicked a squib that was lucky to result in the Bengals starting on their 24 yard line. He kicked another out of bounds and got his ASS handed to him by a coach.

On the TD runback after Willis's fumble, JP was the last man - one on two - he made a very good try to angle the return out of bounds. He did not succeed but it was a great try.

People, if you are not going to watch them - LEAVE YOUR FREAKING LITTLE KIDS HOME! Unless they are parented like Senor Rubeo watches Ben - they are bored, loud, whiny, annoying, and as irksome as a foul mouthed drunk. Honest. If they were adults security would haul them away.

I got to have dinner with Art in RTP, spent some time with #89, stopped by to see Pinto Kenny, bumped into Jay and Ben, and sat with Lori and my brother. Got to talk to Hammer for a minute too.

They did a pretty cheezy job on the video they played on the Jumbotron about the Bills Boosters Club. After 45 years they deserved much better! The timing was poor (third quarter) and they had no live cameras of all the Booster filling secton 121. They had a very nice 45th anniversary tailgate dinner. I am a member , but do not get to many events since I am 80 miles away.

If any pictures came out decent, I will post them tomorrow <yawn>.

Hey guys, I am glad you enjoyed the report. I do my best, but I know I missed a lot too. We were on the 5 yard line of the visitor side 13 rows from the field. So, while it was easy to see a lot of things happen, it was easy to miss things as well. But, I do my best.

In regards to the Losman INT, I am not really sure what happened. I will have to watch the tape. Initially, I thought it was just miscommunication between JP and Reed, but I am not sure.

I know one thing for sure, though...........JP did the right thing by taking the blame for it whether it was his fault or not. Sticking up for your teammate is the right thing to do in all situations and I respect JP a great deal for taking the heat. Again, without being able to see it on tape, I am not sure who is at fault, but the fact is that it IS able to be corrected and JP is stepping up as a leader by taking the heat.

I do agree with Jauron, though. I am not as concerned with the INT as I am with the fumbles. Again, I don't believe that JP will become a fumbler, but he does have to take care of the ball, especially in those situations.

Also, I did hear that McGahee was having trouble keeping the fluids in, but I am not sure if that was a factor in that run. Everything that I am hearing is that all of the problems he was having were after that run. So, who knows. Whatever the case, it was a good run. I just hope he can finish stronger next time.......and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that, and the time after that!

HA!!!!!

A couple things.  First off, Willis was dehydrated/vomiting , which explains his lack of stamina.  Second of all, the INT was Reed's fault, as per Tasker and Marshall Faulk, who were analyzing the play after it happened.  JP took the blame for it, but he did it so as to not throw JR under the bus.  Lastly, WRT the fumbles, JP was sacked 26 times last year and coughed it up once.  And I heard he had NO time on the 2nd fumble.  Sure you don't like to see those plays, but given his history, I doubt it's a real problem.

747086[/snapback]

If this doesn't tell fans that JP has assumed leadership of the team, nothing will. In the postgame interview, he said it was his mistake but you can tell that was hard for him to say and swallow. Either way, he took responsibility for something that he may/may not have been responsible for. I hope he does become the opening day starter because he just earned some major respect in the lockerroom.

SVEN: excellent post!!! Even tho my eyes are still spinning in their sockets due to lack of proper paragraphage. <_<

Ha, sorry about the lack of editing. It is late for me too! I just wanted to get the report up before I got too tired. I realize it is far from great, but I wanted to get the details up tonight for those not lucky enough to be there!

I will try harder next time!

Nice recap.

I would like to add that our run defense is doing an outstanding job so far. A few goaline stands the first two weeks, and very few breakers getting by.

JP's 2nd fumble, it looked like he hopped in the air or some BS. He didn't have time, but with 30 seconds left...EAT IT!

The skill players on offense were blocking 50 yds downfield. It cost us a penalty late in the half, but on Evans' first big catch, Shelton leveled someone 20 yds away, and Peerless was running full speed and had hands all over a defender. I really like Price's attitude so far, and I hope he gets some balls thrown his way soon to keep him hungry.

Special teams isn't missing a beat from last year. Punts and coverage continue to be excellent, although they are playing around with returners to find a combo. Lindell, nice boot....but gags on the kickoff.

One question....why did we decline a holding in the endzone and give up a safety in the 1st?

Overall, even though we made mistakes, we were making progress the times we weren't making mistakes. No more spinning our wheels. I walked out thinking that was one of the top 4 or 5 games in entertainment value at the Ralph since '03.

747100[/snapback]

I agree with all of that. Good post. JP can't continue to do that but he has no history of it so I will not think it's a problem unless it happens a couple more times soon.

In regards to the holding call, it looked like the referee called the holding at the goalline instead of the endzone even though the hold was in the endzone. They do that sometimes when initial contact was outside the goalline. Still, a bad call. So they decided to make them punt I think rather than give them 3rd down again.