About the Draft

i noticed there were a lot of posts saying how great this draft class is already based on roughly 2 weeks of TRAINING CAMP and 1 PRESEASON game. Im all for hoping but im also a realist. remember six years ago Buffalo had one of the worst, no screw that, THE WORST draft class in team history, if not the worst in the NFL the past 15 years.

1. Erik Flowers

2. Traveres Tillman

3. Corey Moore

4. Avion Black

5. Sammy Morris

6. Leif Larsen

7. Drew Haddad

8. Dashon Polk

... Christ that makes me laugh and gag at the same time and lets be honest, most of us were feeling pretty good about that class at the time of training camp...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think any one was annoiting this years draft as a stellar class. What was encouraging was that the rookies from this years draft class showd in that pre-season game that they could play at the NFL level. That can get people excited about their draft.

Equally bad was the 2002 draft.

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford

5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado

6 176 Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas

7 215 Mike Pucillo C Auburn

7 249 Rodney Wright WR Fresno State

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson RB Virginia Tech

7 260 Dominique Stevenson OLB Tennessee

The difference between this draft and that draft is that the people we drafted have talent.

For example, during the draft when they said Erik Flowers, people said "Who the f*ck is Erik Flowers". Oh he is an undersized DE that was projected to go in the second or third round.

This years draft picks, of the first five, i believe four or all of them were top 100 prospects. I don't think you can beat that.

Ko Simpson is coming into his own and will dominate soon enough. Was supposed to be a first round pick and many projected him to go to the Dolphins with their first pick.

Donte Whitner will come around as soon as he learns the system and his responsibilities.

John McCargo was i believe the only talent on the NC State defensive line and allowed guys like Manny Lawson and Mario Williams to excel the way they did.

Ashton Youboty was supposed to be a top 25 pick that fell to the third round. Why would you not take a shot on that guy.

Kyle Willaims is certainy making an impact and was on a national championship team. He is incredibly smart and was a top 100 prospect, and is exactly what Marv was looking for this draft.

The draft picks on 2000 were nobodies that were picked way out of sequence and there was no true hope for them based on their training camp performances. This draft class will be fine.

For example, during the draft when they said Erik Flowers, people said "Who the f*ck is Erik Flowers".

745202[/snapback]

True, although I distinctly remember thinking to myself earlier this year, in April, "Who the f*ck is Donte Whitner?!"

:blink:

Obviously how good Dante and McCargo are will have a lot to do with this class, but I think it was a very good draft. Ko and Ashton are great picks, and everyone is on the Kyle bandwagon. Kind of interesting how it has taken the attention off of Dante and McCargo, both of whom I think will be excellent players.

I don't think any one was annoiting this years draft as a stellar class. What was encouraging was that the rookies from this years draft class showd in that pre-season game that they could play at the NFL level.  That can get people excited about their draft.

Equally  bad was the 2002 draft.

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford

5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado

6 176 Kevin Thomas CB Nevada-Las Vegas

7 215 Mike Pucillo C Auburn

7 249 Rodney Wright WR Fresno State

7 251 Jarrett Ferguson RB Virginia Tech

7 260 Dominique Stevenson OLB Tennessee

745187[/snapback]

Nope, not equally bad. Some of those guys are still on the roster...hell, Denney could end up starting.

Odds are against Donte, McCargo, Youboty, Ko, and KW all panning out in the end, not too many drafts end up that successful. But I'd sure rather be hearing good things about them right now than indifferent/suck things about them. So far, so good.

Odds are against Donte, McCargo, Youboty, Ko, and KW all panning out in the end, not too many drafts end up that successful. But I'd sure rather be hearing good things about them right now than indifferent/suck things about them. So far, so good.

745222[/snapback]

Well put.

i noticed there were a lot of posts saying how great this draft class is already based on roughly 2 weeks of TRAINING CAMP and 1 PRESEASON game. Im all for hoping but im also a realist. remember six years ago Buffalo had one of the worst, no screw that, THE WORST draft class in team history, if not the worst in the NFL the past 15 years.

1. Erik Flowers

2. Traveres Tillman

3. Corey Moore

4. Avion Black

5. Sammy Morris

6. Leif Larsen

7. Drew Haddad

8. Dashon Polk

... Christ that makes me laugh and gag at the same time and lets be honest, most of us were feeling pretty good about that class at the time of training camp...

745171[/snapback]

But remember that the Bills were picking near the end of each round in that 2000 draft...

The worst Bills draft of the past 15 years was probably the 2002 draft, which played a big role in setting this team back to what it is now (particularly when including the Duh Bledslow trade).

Also, in the pre-Kelly era, there were some true draft stinkers that made 2000's draft class look pretty good. You need to brush up on your Bills history, son :blink: .

1. Erik Flowers

2. Traveres Tillman

3. Corey Moore

4. Avion Black

5. Sammy Morris

6. Leif Larsen

7. Drew Haddad

8. Dashon Polk

745171[/snapback]

This draft class reminds me of an ex-girlfriend that gained 150lbs!

I think the posts about how good this draft is beginning to look is probably based on first impressions that the draft was weak and didn't address needs. I certainly felt that way immediately after the draft. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the way things are looking. Do I think the draft solved all of our problems? Hell no. However we have done some significant strengthening of the defense. Lots of unknowns as of this minute, but there is room for guarded optimism. Besides, I'm biased...I'm a Bills fan!

But remember that the Bills were picking near the end of each round in that 2000 draft...

The worst Bills draft of the past 15 years was probably the 2002 draft, which played a big role in setting this team back to what it is now (particularly when including the Duh Bledslow trade).

Also, in the pre-Kelly era, there were some true draft stinkers that made 2000's draft class look pretty good. You need to brush up on your Bills history, son  :) .

745317[/snapback]

OK, the pre-Kelly era had some stinkers but has any draft produce players with less starts for this team as that 2000 draft? That draft gave us no quality starters at all. Morris probabaly gave us the most quality plays. Polk was a good special teamer/ backup. Tillman was a journeyman that started for other teams.

Moore and Larsen never played.

At the 2002 draft produced some people who actually played. Reed and Denny are still around four years later.

Bottom line about the 2000 draft is that those players should be the veteran leadership on this team right now and should be in the prime of their careers. Every other team in the league has atleast one player from that draft that panned out in one way or another; so they automatically have an advantage over the Bills.

2000 was by far the worst draft.