Bills' insider Sal Moiarana reports that the Bills

Tipster19

Thanks for the vote of confidence Einstein. He was on Sirius radio at 10:00 and he didn't have anything good to say from what I heard. I did catch him in the middle of his comments but according to him this team has been in shambles for the last 6 years. Hey, in hindsight I don't disagree but the thing that kills me is I don't ever remember hearing him reporting this WHILE it was happening. Like we need to have one of our own getting on national radio and stating that our team is nothing short of a joke.

The other comments I heard were that Losman is pretty much in over his head still and basically we still don't have a QB. Nice. He also went on and stated that between the combination of alot of young players and other over the hill veterans, we don't stand a shot. I'm sure that he was talking about Vincent but could he also be referring to Fletcher?

Look, this maybe accurate but what is this guy trying to accomplish? He works for the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle. He's not an outsider looking in, he's an insider looking out. This whole regime is totally new, why not give them a FAIR chance? A national public bashing before we even play our 1st game is uncalled for.

I don't expect any great turnaround this season but I do think that there is a big improvement for us verse last year's roster. I didn't mean to make this a long post but I do want to mention a few aspects that most are aware of.

a) The hiring of Levy. The guy brings a great wealth of football knowledge AND he's not an ego maniac.

b) Jauron. He is a REAL football coach, not a bargain rookie coach. DJ was coach of the year in '01 and he is implementing some key personnel from that very team. I don't know what the deal was but the Bears' GM wasn't a player for Jauron.

c) Our defense is not THAT far removed from being a once dominant defense. We don't need to be that dominant, just good. We have a very good defensive minded coach in Jauron (see b) and I trust in his judgement on his assistants. We also added ALOT of team speed and got rid of some senior high dollars malcontents.

d) I think the shackles have been lifted off of McNally with the departure of Donahoe & Co. I expect to see some pleasant surprises this year out of our O-line.

e) Although Losman may not be Bret Farve, I am impressed with his physical attributes so far. I don't know what his intelligence is but I don't think anyone else does either. He doesn't have to carry this team, he just has to manage it. I think by mid season this kid may really come around. As in many of you, I watched the replayed game on NFL channel and the thing that impressed me was his zip on the ball as he was moving. I also heard a commentator, and I don't remember who or from where, state that in most cases young players have to get used to the speed of the game. He then went on and stated that Losman is one of the few players that has to slow down for the game. He also is our best chance of being able to at least attempt to throw a long ball. Hopefully between Evans and a few veteran WRs that we aquired, they will be able to catch some of them. The threat alone will do wonders for our run game.

f) The run game. We do have some RBs now. As it stands presently we are not at all thin at this spot. Not only do we have a big time RB in MaGahee, we have great depth.

So, thanks for listening but before I go I too want to make a prediction. This team will be more of a pleasant surprise than a negative one and wins anywheres from 7-9 games this year.

Oh, by the way Sal, why don't you go and try to get on the Miami Herald, they might appreciate your great insights.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His prediction may not be that far off. I don't think this team is playoff bound. It would be nice if they were, but lets face it people we are rebuilding.

744230[/snapback]

Yes but all of Tipster19s points show possible improvement in the team.....i.e. at least 5 wins....not at most 5 wins.

I cannot see how one can predict a worse record than last year.

That Sal guy might be on the inside looking out but he does not seem to pay too much attention to what is happening on the inside.

There is potential for improvement in every area of the team(including front office) with potential for regression in only a few.

We will be better this season!......though we might not end up with many more wins.

well its not like its gonna actually happen........who cares what a writer writes its just a opinion.i'd like to see the articles written about the patriots the 1st year they went on a superbowl run (with belicheck&brady)or the year st.louis won the superbowl for that matter.every season the experts try to evaluate the up coming season by judging the previous season....the trick part is that every year a player that wasnt that great steps it up and he usually comes from nowhere,plus draft picks emerge that were not considered.marshall falk was good in indy but when he went to st.louis he became a mvp player...i am not saying the bills are gonna be great we do have a new coaching staff but i really like the direction the team is going in!go bills in"06 and good luck j.p.

I don't see anything wrong with his assessment so far. The team has to prove him wrong, right? Who really thinks this team is playoff material? I don't but I'd like to see is fight for a spot. I just don't to have to suffer through yet another losing season. If we win 8 games, that would rock--preferably all the home games.

You play the game on the field, so we have to see what 16 Sundays hold for us one at a time, but I think this team is stronger than last year in many ways. I don't mind the low expectations nationally, but I do hope that the team and fans believe in the Bills one game at a time. The goal is to win a Super Bowl, and that is not very likely this year (understatement), so this should be a building year (not "rebuilding) where we work on laying the foundation of a Super Bowl champ and try to get these guys a bigger taste of winning. Things can turn around fast in the NFL as we have seen so many times, so I look for this year to exceed many of the low expectations. We haven't fixed everything, but we have started moving in the right direction.

I can't help but think of the San Diego Chargers of 3 years ago.... EVERYONE thought they were the WORST team in the league! Poor offensive line, porous secondary, a QB who was nearly run out of town (sound familiar?) so what happened? 12-4 happened! There are plenty of questions with this years edition of the Buffalo Bills, however, anything can and usually does happen. I am NOT overly optimistic either, but if some of the Ifs come up aces, then the Bills could win the division. The Patriots have come back to the pack and the Dolphins might just wilt as opposed to the flowery outlook the national media spins their way. The key in any year is the health of a particular team... we'll see!!!

I can't help but think of the San Diego Chargers of 3 years ago.... EVERYONE thought they were the WORST team in the league! Poor offensive line, porous secondary, a QB who was nearly run out of town (sound familiar?) so what happened? 12-4 happened! There are plenty of questions with this years edition of the Buffalo Bills, however, anything can and usually does happen. I am NOT overly optimistic either, but if some of the Ifs come up aces, then the Bills could win the division. The Patriots have come back to the pack and the Dolphins might just wilt as opposed to the flowery outlook the national media spins their way. The key in any year is the health of a particular team... we'll see!!!

744272[/snapback]

I'm looking for the L.T. or A.G. on the Bills roster

Darryl Boston was such an impact player

His prediction may not be that far off. I don't think this team is playoff bound. It would be nice if they were, but lets face it people we are rebuilding.

744230[/snapback]

I don't know why all the talk about rebuilding !! We are just five offensive linemen and a pass rush away from being a contender. I am just pleased that the Bills understood the importance of the OL problem and addressed it with a fifth rounder and two seventh rounders.

With no OL we are wasting Lee Evans , who has incredible hands and speed.

It is frustrating to see Troy Aikman going to the H.O.F. Not that he wasn't outstanding.. but with his line he had the time to read defenses and make good reads. Our QB is too busy running for his life to mature.

Sorry to ramble but I am frustrated AND I know it's just one preseason game but the OL is not being taken seriously if we continue to try and patch it up with late round picks and veterans nobody else wants. Just because M.Williams was a bust doesn't mean you don't take a chance on another highly rated lineman.

I refuse to get into debating preseason predictions for the team, but Sal's comments reflect a pattern I've noticed over the years -- not just from him. I believe that the local Bills' media go out of their way to seem impartial whenever they are interviewed by a national show. This "impartiality," more often than not, comes across as strong negativity.

Vic Carucci does it, and I've heard numerous other Buffalo/Rochester insiders do the same thing on Sirius NFL Radio and other outlets. It's as if they are afraid to sound positive for fear of being labeled "homers" by the national guys.

It's a similar phenomenon to what we see out of approximately 75% of posters on TSW, actually.

I guess you forgot these guys:

Melvin Fowler

Tutan Reyes

744291[/snapback]

No didn't forget them. Also, I don't remember much of a bidding war for these guys either.

I also remember Bennie Anderson and Trey Teague and Mike Gandy and Marcus Price and......What I don't remember is a hole for our runningbacks to go through !!

I refuse to get into debating preseason predictions for the team, but Sal's comments reflect a pattern I've noticed over the years -- not just from him.  I believe that the local Bills' media go out of their way to seem impartial whenever they are interviewed by a national show.  This "impartiality," more often than not, comes across as strong negativity.

Vic Carucci does it, and I've heard numerous other Buffalo/Rochester insiders do the same thing on Sirius NFL Radio and other outlets.  It's as if they are afraid to sound positive for fear of being labeled "homers" by the national guys.

It's a similar phenomenon to what we see out of approximately 75% of posters on TSW, actually.

744297[/snapback]

Which is as it should be. Anyone who's truly taking an impartial look at this team sees that the deficiencies of the last decade or so have not been addressed with any kind of urgency or legitimacy. Yes, I hear people talking about Fowler and Reyes. They MAY turn out to be the next Kent Hull and Reuben Brown, but they're far more likely to be another Trey Teague and Dusty Ziegler.

So, thanks for listening but before I go I too want to make a prediction. This team will be more of a pleasant surprise than a negative one and wins anywheres from 7-9 games this year.

744228[/snapback]

He is predicting that the Bills may only win 5 games and you think they may only win 7. Where's the huge difference in optimism? :blush:

I agree that he is being a little overly negative. But sal has as much right to his opinion as you do yours, no matter where he reports from. Hopefully they prove him wrong but its tough to say that his points are completely out of wack.

As a reporter you are dammed either way .. you'll be branded as a homer if you say good things .. and a traitor if u say bad things. He is not part of the Bills PR staff and should call it as he sees it.

He is predicting that the Bills may only win 5 games and you think they may only win 7.  Where's the huge difference in optimism?  :blush:

744338[/snapback]

Huge difference between 'at best 5' and '7-9'.

You can see that can't you?

'7-9' = 'at best 9'

'at best 5' = '1-5'

I just remember the Chargers of I think 3yrs ago. I remember all the experts thinking they were the worst team in the league. They ended up going 12-4 & winning their division. Alot depends on Losman. Im not sold on him yet, but I do think he has some upside. Mark my words, the defense will be in the top 12 of the league. The offense, who knows. Iam predicting 8-10 wins this year. Of course Im always optimistic & am usually wrong.

I don't know why all the talk about rebuilding !! We are just five offensive linemen and a pass rush away from being a contender. I am just pleased that the Bills understood the importance of the OL problem and addressed it with a fifth rounder and two seventh rounders.

With no OL we are wasting Lee Evans , who has incredible hands and speed.

It is frustrating to see Troy Aikman going to the H.O.F. Not that he wasn't outstanding.. but with his line he had the time to read defenses and make good reads. Our QB is too busy running for his life to mature.

Sorry to ramble but I am frustrated AND I know it's just one preseason game but the OL is not being taken seriously if we continue to try and patch it up with late round picks and veterans nobody else wants. Just because M.Williams was a bust doesn't mean you don't take a chance on another highly rated lineman.

744288[/snapback]

I understand your frustration but if they did go for an O-Lineman, it would likely have been 1 player taken in the 2nd round (at best). This would not have solved the problem & you would be crying..."why did we not address the D-Line"(which we addressed in the 1st round).

Perhaps the Bills do understand the importance of the OL problems but felt that the draft of 2006 did not have the right prospects in relation to our draft positioning & the overall talent available.

When you look at the reports on the players we did draft.....& I know these are early days but....it looks like we might have snared at least 5 starters. If that becomes fact, it would support the idea that Marv & co. didn't ignore the OL.....just drafted guys they felt had a higher chance of becoming legitimate starters.

Nobody wants 3 OL taken in the first day & have them all be busts.