Kyle Williams will start at NT

So I finally had a chance to watch the game, I recorded it on Tivo and watched most plays a couple times last night. After awhile I began to focus my attention to one guy who was clearly standing out on defense, Kyle Williams.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if his performance was against third stringers but he faced the same players Anderson was facing at times early in the game. While Anderson looked like he was playing on roller skates Williams looked like his feet got buried in cement. He refused to give up any ground, and relentlessly pursued the ball. The term high motor is an understatement to describe the way Williams plays. It's a truly relentless style, and he showed enough quickness to apply pressure from the interior. I not only think he will supplant Anderson by week 1, but he could end up making a big difference in our run support this year and in the future.

So I finally had a chance to watch the game, I recorded it on Tivo and watched most plays a couple times last night. After awhile I began to focus my attention to one guy who was clearly standing out on defense, Kyle Williams.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if his performance was against third stringers but he faced the same players Anderson was facing at times early in the game. While Anderson looked like he was playing on roller skates Williams looked like his feet got buried in cement. He refused to give up any ground, and relentlessly pursued the ball. The term high motor is an understatement to describe the way Williams plays. It's a truly relentless style, and he showed enough quickness to apply pressure from the interior. I not only think he will supplant Anderson by week 1, but he could end up making a big difference in our run support this year and in the future.

743043[/snapback]

That's nice to hear, Mike. I'm looking forward to seeing him this coming game -it's on my local tv, so it will be my first look at the team. I'll watch to see if he beats a block and/or gives another fellow player a shot at stopping the play.

i am a little concerned about Tripplett. i tried to focus on the DL for a few plays in the early going and saw him getting no penatration at all. in fact on one play it looked like he and the Panthers G might have exchanged vows to not hit each other at all.

743043[/snapback]

I was extremely impressed with Williams he never let up ever. The guys style of play definitly fits this defense and I wont be suprised to see him get the starting nod over Tiny Tim. I was also impressed with McCargo and backup de Eric Powell. Now granted I didnt exclusively focus on just the dline but everytime I watched them they were creating some kind of pressure in the backfield. I know it's too early to speculate but the suppoused weakness of our dline might actually be a strength.

i am a little concerned about Tripplett.  i tried to focus on the DL for a few plays in the early going and saw him getting no penatration at all.  in fact on one play it looked like he and the Panthers G might have exchanged vows to not hit each other at all.

743102[/snapback]

Could be... It is preseason after all.

Kyle Williams will win the 'Mike Lodish - High Energy White Guy Award' this season.  ;)

Other winners include :

Chris Kelsay

Justin Bannan

Aaron Schobel

Sean Moran

John Parrella

0:)

743160[/snapback]

There is a big difference between trying hard (ie high motor guy) and succeeding. In his first game Williams definitely succeeded. We'll see what happens.

Kyle Williams will win the 'Mike Lodish - High Energy White Guy Award' this season.  ;)

Other winners include :

Chris Kelsay

Justin Bannan

Aaron Schobel

Sean Moran

John Parrella

0:)

743160[/snapback]

Funny stuff. Seriously, it was a nice surprise to see Williams play so well. Maybe we can grab a late cut from another team that can help us at DZT as well.

Funny stuff.  Seriously, it was a nice surprise to see Williams play so well.  Maybe we can grab a late cut from another team that can help us at DZT as well.

743166[/snapback]

glad we had to move up to the 1st round to get our starting NT... 0:)

There is a big difference between trying hard (ie high motor guy) and succeeding. In his first game Williams definitely succeeded. We'll see what happens.

743165[/snapback]

Aaron Schobel made the list and he has done well. I think Lodish even has a couple of rings with Denver. But I'm not sure on that. 0:)

Williams is a 5th round pick, which over the last few years has meant he's off the team in a year. In his very first game, he outplays Tim Anderson ten fold, a player who has started several NFL games, and was drafted a couple rounds before him.

Sure he's a high motor player, which is a mockable quality with our front, but the difference is he has big time talent. His strength at the point is impressive, and his acceleration and relentlessness give him a dimension few NT have. It's perfect for the cover 2, and at a position of critical need. If Williams really turns out to be a steal, and the secondary picks develop into starters this could be the most successful draft class since the early 90's.

I feel bad for the kid in one way. He has a #1 pick and a big ticket free agent in font of him. No matter how well he plays I doubt he'll get the start come opening day.

743215[/snapback]

McCargo is backing up Triplett( 0:) ), so I think if he keeps it up he could pass Anderson (listed as starter) on the depth chart.

Then again, the Panthers DID lose Tutan Reyes. ;)

743180[/snapback]

...and they missed the fact that Bennie Anderson was available...caught napping at the waiver wire again... 0:)

#95 is going to win a lot of battles and make some plays this year....pretty damn impressive kid.