Sam Aiken vs Eric Moulds

Saturday's game notwithstanding he may not make this year's squad.

742932[/snapback]

I hope that you are wrong. Unlike most of the other Bills receivers, Aiken is not small. He is also probably one of the better special teams players in the NFL.

This is not to say that he will ever be as good as a young Eric Moulds, but Eric's better days are behind him anyway.

Aiken

Position: WR

Height: 6-2

Weight: 204

Moulds

Weight: 225

Anybody think Aiken could put up Moulds's type number in a year or two?

Just a question?

742856[/snapback]

Aiken doesn't have Moulds' speed, that's why he was a 4th Round pick not a 1st Round pick. He's been a little disappointing thus far as he really has shown much as a WR. Though he might be turning the corner this year but doubt he'll ever be a top flight WR ala Robert Ferguson in Green Bay.

Aiken

Moulds

Just a question?

742856[/snapback]

Have people really gotten that sour towards Moulds to compare him to Aiken? No disrespect for Aiken, but over the last 3 years Moulds has 2639 Yards, 233 receptions, and 10 TD. Sam Aiken has gone for 240 yards, 18 receptions, and 0 TD. Do the math and Moulds has 11 times more yards, 13 times the receptions, and 10 times the TD's.

Moulds wasn't staying a Bill, and ended his tenure under some tumultuous conditions. But let's not forget that he was one of the best WR's in Buffalo history, during a time when we never had a consistent QB. Even on the downside of this, to think his loss won't be felt in any way is a clear case of Pat Williams syndrome.

Aiken doesn't have Moulds' speed, that's why he was a 4th Round pick not a 1st Round pick. He's been a little disappointing thus far as he really has shown much as a WR. Though he might be turning the corner this year but doubt he'll ever be a top flight WR ala Robert Ferguson in Green Bay.

743305[/snapback]

I remember Kipers write up of Aiken said if he had run a better 40 at the combine he would probably have been a 1st rounder.I don't think he will ever come close to matching Moulds but i think he will be the third reciever for us this year.

I remember Kipers write up of Aiken said if he had run a better 40 at the combine he would probably have been a 1st rounder.I don't think he will ever come close to matching Moulds but i think he will be the third reciever for us this year.

743349[/snapback]

Per my earlier post, I would definitely like to see a lot more of Aiken. I will be very happy if he plays and Josh Reed sites. I'd rather have a bad contract than a bad player on the field. It's Ralph Wilson's money, but it's MY team. 0:)

Aiken isn't Moulds or Josh Reed. He's not an NFL receiver, as far as I can tell. He's a decent ST guy, period. I'd like to be wrong here, but he's done nothing to suggest I am.

Aiken

Moulds

Just a question?

742856[/snapback]

5 months ago I was 6'1, 225#, similar to Moulds. I could have a heck of a career. Although I don't get much separation on fly patterns. :(

Aiken

Moulds

Just a question?

742856[/snapback]

No.

Aiken

Moulds

Just a question?

742856[/snapback]

I love these height and weight charts the NFL uses... :(

A lot of the posts here remind me of what was said about Andre Reed and Eric Moulds when that whole thing was going down. It was clear that Flutie favored Moulds, Reed started to complain about balls thrown his way, and eventually found his way off the team. RJ threw to Reed more but just writing those initals gives me the shakes so that's all on that. Anyway, the numbers Moulds had in his "breakout" year had a lot to do, granted not EVERTHING to do, with being thrown the ball most of the time. Is it a secret to anyone that receivers in this league - espeically the "premier" ones - tend to B word when they don't see the ball 70% of the time?

Yeah - fans were pissed for about half an hour about Reed's plight(Superbowl guy, Houston game, etc. vs. 2nd year player Eric Who? Flutie's two on two basketball partner what?). And then a ton of them promptly went out and bought a Moulds jersey. All those #80's out there - u know who you are! :blink:

Sound familiar? It was also clear that when JP was in the game last year, he favored Lee Evans. Holcomb favored Moulds(because EM was running cut backs and slants from 5 yards off the line - right in KH's 3 yd sweetspot :huh: Need I remind us of the famous 3 yd pass on 4th and 8? - it was to Moulds). Is it any wonder that the complaints about JP from "unnamed veterans" and the "grumblings from the locker room" started right around the same time Moulds' stats/balls thrown his way started going down? Or just an amazing coincidence? :(

I think Aiken has his best chance this year to get involved in the offense. If nothing else than as a solid possesion receiver. You can't kick all that ass for all those years(btw did you see that hit on our first punt? :ph34r: ) on special teams and not be a "physical" receiver(same thing every Moulds guy would say about him during the Reed vs. Moulds debate). Hell, Aiken drew a penalty to keep a drive alive on Saturday - the guy had no choice but to simply grab his shirt cause he was burned, badly. Interestingly, Aiken beat him by running a good route, not with blinding speed, but with excellent body position(read: 6-2 height and doing everything right with your feet) - just like all the talking heads would give as the reason that Moulds was so good in his "breakout" year. Also, I would take Aiken attitude over Moulds attitude any day. If he performs way beyond any expectation and starts to even approach EM level, I don't see him whining about balls thrown his way either.

Regardless, this is a great topic/post and gives us something fun to watch(glad to see the JP/KH thing appears to be over). I had been quietly thinking Nance in this debate but clearly Aiken now has an opportunity(however small) to make us forget about Moulds (maybe not in a half an hour) or at least not feel sorry for him. I think we can all agree he has earned the chance to try. Let's just hope for his hands holding up/4 hours a day on the Juggs machine :doh:

He probably won't put up Moulds numbers ever, but he is a valuable commodity on this Bills team; and here is why...

His special teams play is phenominal and he has a chance at being the special teams captain this year. His only real competition is Brian Moorman which means the deck is stacked against him, but he is a very capable player on special teams.

When height on this Bills team is at a premium, Aiken could come in very handy in the red zone this year. In recent years he hasn't received much playing time, A: Because we have had Moulds and other receivers, and B: Because last year we weren't doing much red zoning at all. I look for Aiken to have an increased role with the offense this year and may be one of our leaders in points.

His special teams play is phenominal and he has a chance at being the special teams captain this year. His only real competition is Brian Moorman which means the deck is stacked against him, but he is a very capable player on special teams.

When height on this Bills team is at a premium, Aiken could come in very handy in the red zone this year. In recent years he hasn't received much playing time, A: Because we have had Moulds and other receivers, and B: Because last year we weren't doing much red zoning at all. I look for Aiken to have an increased role with the offense this year and may be one of our leaders in points.

743535[/snapback]

If we get that much out of him - I would be happy. Getting 3rd down production also would be sweet.

Moulds numbers? Too much to hope for - but I figured I would jog everyone's memory about how EM got his start.

If we get that much out of him - I would be happy. Getting 3rd down production also would be sweet.

Moulds numbers? Too much to hope for - but I figured I would jog everyone's memory about how EM got his start.

743538[/snapback]

Returning kicks?

Returning kicks?

743540[/snapback]

No :( I thought it was clear that I was talking about contributing to the offense(not ST) and about Moulds' second year. I'm pretty sure they got him off the return team within three games of him suddenly making noise as a top receiver.

No  :( I thought it was clear that I was talking about contributing to the offense(not ST) and about Moulds' second year. I'm pretty sure they got him off the return team within three games of him suddenly making noise as a top receiver.

743543[/snapback]

I know what you meant, it was sarcasm my man, sarcasm.