It's official...we hve no QB

I don't get it. The organization said that the QB position was going to be an

open competition, and that no QB was the favorite. That's typical of a new

coaching staff with unproven QB's. So, now that they're actually doing what

they said they were going to do, it's a huge problem?

Here's the truth: The team's in a rebuilding mode. That means evaluating everybody, including the QB's. That means playing them.

So there's really no reason to panic, because it's pretty unlikely that the team's going to get more than seven wins under the best of circumstances.

quote=Niagara Bill,Aug 12 2006, 07:37 AM]

It has been 3 official team workouts, many optional workouts, and 2 weeks of officil training camp and JP cannot distinquish himself as superior to Holcomb. To me that equals trouble.

IMHO if Holcomb is the QB at this point we had better begin to panic. I understand that the coaches need to satisfy the competitive spirit of the other 52 rooster players, but since we all know that winning with KH is near impossible then unless someone can surpass him easily I am afraid we are in for a Gary Marangi type year.

I belief that the Bills should cut Losman if he cannot beat out Holcomb by the second preseason game. We are wasting our time.

I equate this batttle to any running back who cannot beat out Shaud Williams by the 2nd preseason game also should be cut because we all know that if Williams is your second choice for a back (after Willis) then you may as well mail in the season.

IMHO :doh:

741279[/snapback]

Again, the training camp and pre-season games really aren't going to tell us much about who should start either. Whether KH or JP or even Nall light it up or fall on their face in these games, against the starters or back-ups, it has little bearing on what they will play like in the regular season with real bullets under real pressure with real high stakes. We do pretty much know what we're going to get with Kelly and it's fairly decent. Just a rag arm. We don't know what we're going to get with JP but it's very likely worse or better and perhaps far better. He likely isn't going to be decent and consistent. But the pre-season won't tell us hardly anything at all. It's another in an endless series of reasons the QB competition is a charade.

JP will be the starter. It's been beaten to death that Holcomb can only get us so far and we need to find out about JP.

741287[/snapback]

Too bad DJ didn't hear the news yet.

What you've got on this board is some of the same "It's not Drew's fault" crowd from 2003/2004 in full convoluted spin mode once again (not necessarily you, RtB... I don't remember your take back then). Unlike back then, I also want to see the Chosen One play... but just because people desperately want JP to be the starter doesn't mean it is going to happen, he still has to prove it.

Here's to JP lighting up the field tonight & eliminating any doubt in DJ's mind that he is the man.

It has been 3 official team workouts, many optional workouts, and 2 weeks of officil training camp and JP cannot distinquish himself as superior to Holcomb. To me that equals trouble.

IMHO if Holcomb is the QB at this point we had better begin to panic. I understand that the coaches need to satisfy the competitive spirit of the other 52 rooster players, but since we all know that winning with KH is near impossible then unless someone can surpass him easily I am afraid we are in for a Gary Marangi type year.

I belief that the Bills should cut Losman if he cannot beat out Holcomb by the second preseason game. We are wasting our time.

I equate this batttle to any running back who cannot beat out Shaud Williams by the 2nd preseason game also should be cut because we all know that if Williams is your second choice for a back (after Willis) then you may as well mail in the season.

IMHO :doh:

741279[/snapback]

The whole competition thing is a big smoke screen. If they didn't have confidence in JP, don't you think they would have grabbed Jay Cutler in the draft? Then they could have set him free without the baggage that he was their guy that they drafted. They had months to look a film from last year and on draft day must have already felt that JP could get the job done with more playing time. The made the commitment to JP in April. Otherwise you have to figure they would have gone after a better QB pospect than Craig Nall in either the draft or free agency.

The whole competition thing is a big smoke screen.  If they didn't have confidence in JP, don't you think they would have grabbed Jay Cutler in the draft? 

741382[/snapback]

Not if their scouts had as many flaws in his game as some of the draft reports I read had. They were not about to risk having 2 #1 QB busts in 3 years. They decided this was not the year that a 1st round QB was worth the risk-that doesn't mean they had one iota of confidence in JP. All it meant is that they didn't have enough confidence in Leinart or Cutler to use pick #8 and have to sign either to a contract typical of a top ten QB pick.

I think that this is being misread. I think JP is our starting quarterback, and hopefully that doesn't get screwed up.

But after being handed the team last year, the coaching staff and front office clearly wants JP to earn it this year. If he outperforms KH in several preseason games and is named starter he has earned it. If they did it now before the first preseason game based on being slightly better in training camp it would be doubted. Having KH start the first game takes off even more pressure, and gives JP a chance to shine and clearly earn the role in everyone's eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think JP is fragile and needs to be coddled and have the pressure taken off of him, but after last season, I think this could clearly help. I think he should have started 16 times last season, and if he did, things would be in a better situation right now. But he didn't, and it is a competition, and a competition like this (going back a year with 8 starts each) should not be won in a couple weeks of practice when they can wait until after preseason games and look like geniuses.

The one good thing for JP is that Nall got hurt, because I would hate to see JP limited to 1/3rd of the reps.

Holcomb isn't good, and has no chance of getting better. He is what he is, and that is a competent backup quarterback, and we should be happy to have him in that role once JP gets named starter.

I'm certainly not rooting against KH tonight, but I hope that JP really shines and makes things a lot clearer by tomorrow morning. Then they can flip flop them for the next game, saying that they are just mixing it up, and then if JP outperforms again, he can be named starter and we can live happily ever after.