Britian Foils Terror Plot

Wacka

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. They will just say that Karl Rove planted the "terrorist" just to increase Bush's poll numbers.

740085[/snapback]

I was under the impression that none of the recent events in the world, from the Iraqi war, to Israel/Hezzbuddha/Lebanon/Syria, to bombs on planes, to missing Egyptians with bad GPS systems, would be happening right now if it weren't for us.

My understanding of world events is simply that the US is the reason for all of this and if we stay home, shut up, and mind our own goddamn business, then everyone in the Middle East -- nay, everyone in the world-- will start getting along with each other.

Not sure why we don't do it, though. Guess we're bullies or something.

I was under the impression that none of the recent events in the world, from the Iraqi war, to Israel/Hezzbuddha/Lebanon/Syria, to bombs on planes, to missing Egyptians with bad GPS systems, would be happening right now if it weren't for us.

You forgot hurricanes, tsunamis and global warming.

My understanding of world events is simply that the US is the reason for all of this and if we stay home, shut up, and mind our own goddamn business,  then everyone in the Middle East -- nay, everyone in the world-- will start getting along with each other.

Not the U.S. Just Bush. Remember, history started January 21, 2001.

Not sure why we don't do it, though.

740252[/snapback]

Go figure.

In search of some funnies on this day, the following stood out:

During the first few hours of the alert, the TSA was taking toiletries away from flight crews, he [Duane Woerth, president of the Air Line Pilots Association]  said. "Then they said, 'This is stupid. We're taking toothpaste away from the guy who's going to fly the plane.' It didn't take them long to back down."

That would mean checking every single bottle of shampoo that anyone has ever taken from a hotel room," said Bob Ayers, an associate fellow at Chatham House in London and vice president for homeland security for Selex Sensors & Airborne Systems of Italy, an arm of Finmeccanica SpA. "The best and optimal way to make sure no one carries something dangerous onto a plane is to make people fly naked and with no baggage," he added.

Yes so you can't get liquids thru security but you can BUY them (for 2-3x usual price) PAST security, but even if the TSA is standing right next to you and sees you take the water out of the cooler and drink half you are still not allowed to bring it on board. Makes perfect sense.

I see that the tip came from a Muslim. Dear me, I thought they were all bloodthirsty murderers who hated freedom (that's sarcasm for you who can't stand anything that isn't black and white).:D

For this plot to have stood a chance of success it would have to have been plotted and executed from within the US. It's August, and brush-cuttin' time. B-)

In search of some funnies on this day, the following stood out:

That would mean checking every single bottle of shampoo that anyone has ever taken from a hotel room," said Bob Ayers, an associate fellow at Chatham House in London and vice president for homeland security for Selex Sensors & Airborne Systems of Italy, an arm of Finmeccanica SpA. "The best and optimal way to make sure no one carries something dangerous onto a plane is to make people fly naked and with no baggage," he added.

740283[/snapback]

Like Jessica Alba? B-)

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/67732-print.shtml

Operation ‘may not have been completely thwarted’

August 11 2006

THE plot to blow up transatlantic passenger jets was in the final stages of planning and "quite close to the execution phase", Michael Chertoff, the US Homeland Security Secretary, said last night.

"We believe the arrests in Britain have significantly disrupted this major threat, but we cannot assume it has been completely thwarted or that we have fully identified and neutralized every member of this terrorist network," he added.

Britain's intelligence agencies had been working on the case for several months, though it only became apparent in the past few weeks that the targets were to be flights to the US.

A senior government official said: "Pakistan actively co-operated to make this happen." Arrests were made in Pakistan a few days ago.

The UK surveillance operation involved a massive amount of MI5 and Special Branch resources, plus electronic input by GCHQ and the scanners sifting phone calls from the ether at RAF Menwith Hill in Yorkshire, a site run by the US National Security Agency.

Analysts watch for calls from "tagged" numbers held by suspected militants and anyone they contact subsequently.

The frequency of calls activity is often a prime indicator of a terrorist operation. Government spokesmen on both sides of the Atlantic refer to it as "background chatter".

When it spikes, then stops or slows suddenly, alarm bells ring. That happened just before September 11, though no-one knew the significance, and before the Bali and Madrid attacks.

Mr Chertoff said: "This group in the UK was not … a handful of people sitting round coming up with dreamy ideas about terrorist plots.

"The conception, the large number of people involved, the sophisticated design of the devices being considered and the sophisticated nature of the plan itself, all suggest that this group was very determined, very skilled and very capable."

The homegrown terrorist threat to Britain has grown since the World Trade Center attacks in 2001 from 250 suspects to about 1000 "primary investigative targets", stretching MI5 and Special Branch.

Probably since they'd be in 1st class. 

BTW, isn't she a lot too old for you?

740800[/snapback]

since you decide to use a cheap old un-funny joke, i'll use one as well

btw how's the weather down there?