Fairchild - the anti-Mularkey

Griz

You have to like this quote when Fairchild addresses run v. pass and his various coaching influences, in today's BN article;

"...it's less about scheme and more about a mentality - that's how you want to play."

Hmmmm... less about scheme. I suppose that means we won't see any of the hairy high school plays on third and goal? ;)

Here's to you Steve-O!!!

EXACTLY.....I got so sick of all the Bills gimmickery, particularly in red zone situations. Mentality is the key....I don't care if you run the most vanilla play in the playbook. You should be able to line up and beat your opponent because you want it more than they do. This team has been mentally weak for years now....I'm glad that we have someone in here who will help change that.

You have to like this quote when Fairchild addresses run v. pass and his various coaching influences, in today's BN article;

"...it's less about scheme and more about a mentality - that's how you want to play."

Hmmmm... less about scheme.  I suppose that means we won't see any of the hairy high school plays on third and goal?  ;)

Here's to you Steve-O!!!

738052[/snapback]

That really is a good point. It's a pretty simple game, go out there and kick some butt!

Agreed. i hated mularkeys stupidazz "packages". Shaud was the designated 3rd down RB, so he was going in the game on 3rd down come hell or high water, leaving one of our best players on the bench.

Also, i love this gem. It'd be something like 2nd and 5 or 6, and evans and moulds would come off for reed and aiken. Gee, i wonder if the bills are running the ball. ;)

Agreed. i hated mularkeys stupidazz "packages". Shaud was the designated 3rd down RB, so he was going in the game on 3rd down come hell or high water, leaving one of our best players on the bench.

Also, i love this gem. It'd be something like 2nd and 5 or 6, and evans and moulds would come off for reed and aiken. Gee, i wonder if the bills are running the ball. ;)

738064[/snapback]

Exactly....and that's a big reason why we lost to the Pitt JV squad a couple years ago. They had the mentality edge over us, as much as I hate to say it. They decided they were going to win the game and they did. It didn't matter that we had more "talent" on the field, they had the stronger mentality. Hell, you can even take something like golf....Tiger Woods is the strongest athlete in the world when it comes to mentality. You cannot shake that guy. He believes in his game, believes he's the best, and he delivers time and time again. There is a lot of physical talent on this team, IMO.....they need to work on becoming just as talented upstairs.

Exactly....and that's a big reason why we lost to the Pitt JV squad a couple years ago. They had the mentality edge over us, as much as I hate to say it. They decided they were going to win the game and they did. It didn't matter that we had more "talent" on the field, they had the stronger mentality.

738068[/snapback]

I thought that it was ALL Bledsoe! ;)

Sorry Bro, couldn't resist. :lol:

I thought that it was ALL Bledsoe!  ;)

Sorry Bro, couldn't resist.  :lol:

738075[/snapback]

LOL....well, Bledsoe IS the leader of the weak-minded :lol:

Mularkeys biggest problem was his inability to adjust on the fly. He was very good at scripting opening drives, as can be seen by the high rate of opening drive success for the bills in the last year. Unfortunately for the Bills the other team would make adjustments to his playcalls and he wasn't adaptable enough to make adjustments to compensate for the defenses adjustments.

Exactly....and that's a big reason why we lost to the Pitt JV squad a couple years ago. They had the mentality edge over us, as much as I hate to say it. They decided they were going to win the game and they did. It didn't matter that we had more "talent" on the field, they had the stronger mentality. Hell, you can even take something like golf....Tiger Woods is the strongest athlete in the world when it comes to mentality. You cannot shake that guy. He believes in his game, believes he's the best, and he delivers time and time again. There is a lot of physical talent on this team, IMO.....they need to work on becoming just as talented upstairs.

738068[/snapback]

The mental midgets in charge didn't help either.

Hmmmm... less about scheme.  I suppose that means we won't see any of the hairy high school plays on third and goal?  :angry:

Here's to you Steve-O!!!

738052[/snapback]

that's a great philosophy!! Mike "the big pus" Williams is gone!!!!

Mularkeys biggest problem was his inability to adjust on the fly.  He was very good at scripting opening drives, as can be seen by the high rate of opening drive success for the bills in the last year.  Unfortunately for the Bills the other team would make adjustments to his playcalls and he wasn't adaptable enough to make adjustments to compensate for the defenses adjustments.

738093[/snapback]

There may be some truth to that, but most good coaches (and Marv has said this many times) that in-game adjustments are grossly overrated and the preparation before the game is much more important; otherwise staffs wouldn't work 7 days a week for 17 hours a day.

The Patriots pass all the time on the goal line but when the Bills do it people go nuts! It is all about execution and completing the play. We'll see once the season starts.

Very true. Brady playaction to the TE wide open in the back of the endzone OMG who would've thunk it? :angry: I see this every week and wonder what film the defensive coordinator for that team was watching. They also like the WR out routes near the goaline, which TMQ has written about.

The Patriots pass all the time on the goal line but when the Bills do it people go nuts!  It is all about execution and completing the play.  We'll see once the season starts.

738509[/snapback]

It helps when you use your players correctly, thereby giving your team the best chance to execute and complete the play.

The Bills do not have a QB anywhere near the caliber of Brady on their roster, however, they do have a much better RB than any on the Pats' roster in McGahee.

You put the ball in your star's hands in crunchtime situations. The Pats know this, and Brady guides them to victory after victory. We need to do the same with McGahee and forget about the gadget plays.

The Bills do not have a QB anywhere near the caliber of Brady on their roster, however, they do have a much better RB than any on the Pats' roster in McGahee. 

738518[/snapback]

Nor do they have the OL that can hold their position while the QB gets a chance

to throw to the WR/TE/RB in the endzone.

Hmmmm... less about scheme.  I suppose that means we won't see any of the hairy high school plays on third and goal?  B-)

Here's to you Steve-O!!!

738052[/snapback]

What do you mean? Mike M said we are going to "instill our will on them, guys..." He was all about mentally, remember?

I am not bashing Fairchils but until we get to game 8 we don't know if he is a good O-coordinator and even then if the O line and QB's stink like many "experts" think it could just be the players...

We shall see...