Brief camp report 8/3

rockpile

I do not have a comprehensive report. I will leave that up to the experts who were there. ;)

I did see #89 again, shared Lori’s umbrella with her, and saw Mike for just a moment.

We had an odd experience. Right in the row behind us sat a BIG loud teenager who must have been at his first camp. He and his friend were definitely dumb and dumbest.

The quip of the night should be my sig. They were commenting on how nice the field was despite the rain – no muddy spots, it looked dry, such bright colors, etc. Then someone told them it was artificial turf……

After a pause the kid asked,”What is the difference between grass and artificial?” We could barely contain ourselves!

Tidbits:

JP looked much better than Holcomb. He was finding his intended receivers. Passes were tight and he was confidant.

Holcomb was hesitant, dumping it off to RB’s a lot, but he is a good QB. I really would love to see him take a strong backup role on this team, and be happy with that.

Lionel Gates looks very good. I really like this kid’s moves and speed, plus he can catch. He scored a few TD’s. He zigged and zagged when he had to and has a great outside burst to curl around the pursuit.

Anthony Thomas was impressive too. It is going to be hard to decide who to keep, and I will be surprised if one of the Bills RB cuts does not get picked up by another team.

McGahee was well McGahee! What more can I say?

We agreed Joe Burns is cooked. He repeatedly hit the line and maybe got a yard or two, at best. Come on he is a 5 year vet!

Kingsbury is definitely camp fodder. He threw several low balls into the turf. That is all we need is another injury to a WR who is diving for a catch - trying to make the cut. :lol: They used him to throw sky balls to emulate punts for the return guys.

It was a nice cool night after Tuesday but wet. It was actually kind of pleasant, but limited picture taking. At one point with the lights and pourng rain, it was like a scene staged from a movie.

I had to take off when it started to pour around 9 PM - had to check my basement and garage. We have had flooding, while the town is still figuring out WHY. :( At least it is only puddles.

<insert plug hole joke here> :(

I will wait for better reports, but this is better than nothing!

Tidbits:

JP looked much better than Holcomb. He was finding his intended receivers. Passes were tight and he was confidant.

Lionel Gates looks very good. I really like this kid’s moves and speed, plus he can catch. He scored a few TD’s. He zigged and zagged when he had to and has a great outside burst to curl around the pursuit.

735196[/snapback]

Good to hear some postives about JP...He still has a long way to go....But he is the future of this franchise.....The team needs to get behind him 100%...

Gates now needs to improve his ST play....That will help him lock up that 3rd

RB spot so that he can be on the 43 man active roster come game day.....

He is a good big bruising back who will provide a nice change-up

I do not have a comprehensive report. I will leave that up to the experts who were there.    :lol:

I did see #89 again, shared Lori’s umbrella with her, and saw Mike for just a moment.

We had an odd experience. Right in the row behind us sat a BIG loud teenager who must have been at his first camp. He and his friend were definitely dumb and dumbest.

The quip of the night should be my sig. They were commenting on how nice the field was despite the rain – no muddy spots, it looked dry, such bright colors, etc. Then someone told them it was artificial turf……

After a pause the kid asked,”What is the difference between grass and artificial?” We could barely contain ourselves!

Tidbits

735196[/snapback]

that is wild . thanks for your very good report

The commentary was priceless, indeed. The grass v. turf discussion was definitely the high point, but the "so, is this, like, tryouts or something?" line ranks right up there as well...

Didn't take many notes until 11-on-11 work. Random thoughts:

-Whoever dubbed Holcomb "Captain Checkdown" - overheard in the media tent Tuesday night, repeated by Howard Simon on Wednesday morning's show - should copyright that nickname. In my fact-free opinion, he's reading short-to-long on just about every play.

That said, I hope J.P. is taking mental notes when Holcomb drops back to set up a screen. Very smooth. As for Losman: a couple of overthrows on deep balls (WRs practicing double moves). Wondering if the damp turf might've slowed the routes a bit? Even so, it's his job to realize that and compensate for it...

More passing drills (lot of underneath stuff - slants, crossing routes): Again, KH dumping off to the RB far too often for my taste. JP threading the needle - several nice completions vs. decent coverage.

-As previously mentioned by other posters, Robert Royal might just be more of a downfield weapon than we thought when the Bills signed him. Caught everything thrown his way (at least while I was watching), including a pretty seam route from Holcomb that split the DBs and would've gone for a long gain in game action.

Of course, this depends on whether or not he (and the other TEs) will have to spend most of their time passblocking, something we've seen far too much of the last few seasons. I think the line can be better this season, but I won't be convinced until I see it on the field.

-Love our depth at RB. I won't predict Joe Burns' departure from the roster (since I did that last preseason and got it wrong), but he has an uphill fight. A-Train looks good, and while Gates still has a tendency to bounce the play to the edge, he did have some decent inside carries last night.

Gotta run, since I'm heading back that way for the afternoon session. Type at y'all later...

It is amazing to me how guys like Rockpile and other credible posters can all go out and say the same thing....

"Losman looks good"

"Holcomb keeps throwing short passes"

And we can continue to have people really beleive there is a QB contiversy or competition.....

There IS NO competition.....JP has already won it....this is soley for validation to the other players on the team, the fans, and for JP's confidence.

Just give JPL the season to show he can be a starting NFL QB.....he deserves that chance.

It is amazing to me how guys like Rockpile and other credible posters can all go out and say the same thing....

"Losman looks good"

"Holcomb keeps throwing short passes"

And we can continue to have people really beleive there is a QB contiversy or competition.....

There IS NO competition.....JP has already won it....this is soley for validation to the other players on the team, the fans, and for JP's confidence.

Just give JPL the season to show he can be a starting NFL QB.....he deserves that chance.

735497[/snapback]

It's because shills like Kirwan (whom I've defended in the past) make on-air comments like, "PLEASE win the starting job, Kelly."

735196[/snapback]

He wasn't by any chance wearing a Pacers hat was he?

Thanks for the reports, Rock and Lori!