Whitner/Youboty

The more I read about Youboty, the more I like him:

As the days roll by at Bills training camp without Donte Whitner, the Bills top pick is doing what he can to stay up to speed on what's being installed in Buffalo's defense. How is he doing it? By staying in contact with a former college teammate.

"He calls me every night to see what we have installed," said Bills third round pick Ashton Youboty. "He asked me what we've done and what we've been missing and I just tell him."

Youboty and Whitner played in the same secondary for the past three seasons at Ohio State, but they've yet to take the field together in pads as Buffalo Bills. Youboty who has been sidelined by a strained hamstring since last Saturday knows the time Whitner is missing is important.

"It's huge," said Youboty. "He understands that. I can't really speak for the man. He feels he needs to be here but he feels he's doing what's right for him and I believe he'll make the right decision whenever it comes."

Whitner has always been described as a player with such keen football smarts that he plays the game like a veteran. He will have some significant catching up to do in a system that asks a lot mentally of the strong safety.

"He's a fast learner," said Youboty. "But it's a lot to learn so it will take time for him to catch up."

So what have been Youboty's words of advice to his fellow rookie?

"I tell him to get his butt up here," said Youboty of his conversations with Whitner. "He's a man and he'll make his own decisions and I know he'll make the right one."

At least it's good to know that Whitner is calling and asking what's going on daily.

Still say if he's not in camp by the weekend, he may very well sit out the whole preseason.

Find it odd that the Bills are putting this on the company web site...find it even odder that a defensive back is one of the last few first rounders not in camp.

It's a damn shame.

I suspect that the Bills will do what I said and start taking money off the table.  And Whitner does NOT want to sit-out the year and re-enter the draft next year.  He'd cost himself $15M at least.

733799[/snapback]

There is zero chance of the Bills playing hardball and taking money off the table. The Bills have nothing to gain by acting like a bunch of cheap hard asses that are willing to for go top draft picks.

According to the main page, the Bills and Whitner are only 1.1 million dollars away from a contract.  In terms of NFL money, thats nothing at all.  I bet something gets done by Friday.

733882[/snapback]

That means that the issue was the cash, not the contract length.

According to the main page, the Bills and Whitner are only 1.1 million dollars away from a contract.  In terms of NFL money, thats nothing at all.  I bet something gets done by Friday.

733882[/snapback]

If it is only a Million apart, why wait till friday....Sign it today and get him into

camp tomorrow.

It's all about the guaranteed money.  Pick before DW gets $15M guaranteed on a 5 year deal, pick after him gets $12M quaranteed on a 5 year deal.  Bills are offering $12.9M.  Let's meet in the middle and offer $13.5M and get this over with.

733912[/snapback]

Exactly. We are talking 600k here.