The Fourth DE:

Astrobot

Kollar's vision is to have eight defensive linemen, four tackles and four ends to rotate through in what is a very physically demanding defensive scheme.

--From the Bills' website

4 Tackles:

---Triplett

---McCargo

---Tim Anderson

---Kyle Williams

4 Ends:

---Schobel

---Kelsay

---Denney

---Here's the hard part. #4 could be Mark Word, Eric Powell, Joshua Cooper, or Jason Hall, but I'm watching Ryan Neill.

Mark Word is the guy who spent 2 years with the Chiefs, 5 years with the Browns. His best year was 2002 with 18 tackles and 8 sacks. He'll be 31 this November. He was signed in January after a street tryout. Word has 12 sacks in 37 career games, while Chris Kelsay has seven sacks in 41 career games and Ryan Denney has 10.5 sacks in 76. He's the heavy one, listed at 6'5", 295.

Eric Powell is 26. Weight: 268. Signed by the Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2003 and spent 2004 and 2005 in NFL Europe. Powell registered 62 career tackles and three sacks over three years playing for Florida State. He played in all 14 games as a senior and had 34 tackles, five tackles for a loss and two sacks.

Josh Cooper is light at 261. He's 25. He was with the 49'ers for 2 years. He was signed to the practice squad at the end of training camp two years in a row. … He had 26 tackles and 2 sacks with Frankfurt this year, winning the World Bowl. In his Senior year he was defensive MVP of the 2004 Cotton Bowl.

Jason Hall is also a light guy (260), but he has the confidence. "All you have to do is have speed and leverage to get the job done. I definitely have all of those." Hall said he is focused on the fourth defensive end spot on the roster. "I like my chances a lot," he said. "I feel like there is a lot of competition there and a lot of good defensive ends, so let the best man win." He feels he fits into the penetrating style of Fewell's defense.

Ryan Neill is the Rutgers guy at 265. He's smart. He has a reputation for going every play with full motor. He had 10 sacks his senior year after 8 the prior year. He's also the other long-snapper. FFToolbox.com says "there will be no opponent across from him who will out hustle and have more determination than he". They also liked him as an ILB.

My opinion is that we keep Word (if he has anything left) and Neill for DE/Snapper, and put Jason Hall on the PS.

Thanks for that.

From others analysis at camp, Denney appears in darker pencil than Kelsay at the moment (not quite pen, but harder to rub out :lol: ). Kelsay looks sharp in the photos- almost a twin of Schobel. I guess he'll be the swing man, spelling both Denney and Schobel at times, not the designated rusher though.

It's the 4th spot that's interesting. I haven't read a lot from camp about how they're doing. There's some confidence there, which is great. I wonder if there's more Grant Irons in the bunch than an unploished gem waiting to be found.

I'd like to hear more feedback of the front 4 competition, if anyone's reading this who's going to camp...

I think the tackle spot is a little more steadfast, with McCargo, Triplett, Anderson and Williams as suggested. Williams has gotten some positive comments, about his strength- well, it is camp, we thought Bannan was strong too :doh: . I guess the battle there is in the anchor position, at the nose. McCargo played some in college, but Williams and Anderson will battle that out. McCargo filling the 3 technique, behind Triplett and sharing some time in certain downs...as widely reported.

So, i guess i'm asking for those at camp, as interesting as Holcomb v Losman is, can you post a bit more depth of the D-line battles too...please...

Ian Beckles, played right guard for 7 years in Tampa, and a couple in Philly has a talk show in Tampa. He said he would much rather face a big fat DT than a lighter, more athletic one.

733338[/snapback]

Was he better as a run blocker or in pass protection?

Ryan Neill is the Rutgers guy at 265. He's smart. He has a reputation for going every play with full motor. He had 10 sacks his senior year after 8 the prior year. He's also the other long-snapper. FFToolbox.com says "there will be no opponent across from him who will out hustle and have more determination than he". They also liked him as an ILB.

733321[/snapback]

There's that phrase again.

--From the Bills' website

I don't know. For some reason I expect them to keep more tackles. Jefferson or Brown are my sleepers out of this bunch. I wouldn't be shocked it TA is gone before the season, but it could be the lack of sleep talking here :lol:

I wouldn't be shocked it TA is gone before the season, but it could be the lack of sleep talking here  :lol:

733501[/snapback]

I think it is the lack of sleep. TA looked okay the end of last year, some plays better than others. Overall I still think he was a bit weak for a starter, but that's still good for a backup. Getting cut is more extreme than he deserves.

I think in the end it will be Posey. Keeping him around as a 4th DE, also saves you a roster spot because your backup DE can also be a depth LB as well. Right now I think the Bills are very deep at LB, with Watson, Haggan, Stamer, and Ellison ....where they are very thin at DE. I think Jauron will simply do whatever he can to keep the best players around....and if that means a position switch for Posey, I think they'll do it.

I don't think Posey is very smooth in coverage, and looks very stiff when he tries to change directions. Maybe just having the job of going forward in the pass rush role is what he needs. Unfortunately, in the little i have seen of him putting his hand down and rushing the passer....he gets locked up by the tackle and taken out of the play.

Posey may not even make this roster. He's not that good of a football player. Wow, I just totally changed my mind in a matter of 2 paragraphs. That's a record.

I have to say Word here.

Although I want Hall to join the corp, I think that with the only true veteran being Schobel that they want another experienced end in Word.

This could also backfire in being that they want a newbie in Hall or Powell to be "coached" by Mr Schobel and Denney/Kelsay tandem.

Either way, it don't matter...

Do you folks think they'll carry more than 4 DT's and 4 DE's? Seems like it would be a good idea if we're rotating DT's and DE's to keep them fresh.

733780[/snapback]

I think they would have to. Having lighter and quicker players, even if they are in great condition (which I strongly believe they will be thanks to Alaire), will start to wear down over the course of the season. The more bodies, the more distributed the load.

I think it is the lack of sleep.  TA looked okay the end of last year, some plays better than others.  Overall I still think he was a bit weak for a starter, but that's still good for a backup.  Getting cut is more extreme than he deserves.

733529[/snapback]

You're probably right. I guess I am more curious to see what the other have to offer than TA whom I don't see getting much better. Of course, I won't mind being wrong in my thoughts on TA.