How are these things allowed?

Dante

Well, i dont mean we beat our dog, because we dont. But he wasnt happy when he smacked her, and she half slid/half ran across the garage. But shes trained very wel, and we have had no problems. She'll sit and wait for us to tell her its ok to eat her food. She'll sit and stay until we tell her to chase her ball (if you chose to do so). We drop food on the floor, she'll look, but wont even sniff it. She knows better.

Once there is a clear understanding between you and your dog that you are the boss, everything is fine.

The funny thing i see here in north florida, is that families with pitbulls and rotts that behave poorly often have children that behave the exact same way. Think it might be the parents?

725565[/snapback]

I never tried to imply that you beat your dog. I am guessing it was an isolated incident. If you took it differently, I apologize.

Everything you are doing is good. We do the same thing with our dog. He must sit and stay while we are dishing out his food. We then tell him when it is OK to eat. Same with going outside, as I mentioned. Bad behavior is disciplined immediately.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never tried to imply that you beat your dog. I am guessing it was an isolated incident. If you took it differently, I apologize.

Everything you are doing is good. We do the same thing with our dog. He must sit and stay while we are dishing out his food. We then tell him when it is OK to eat. Same with going outside, as I mentioned. Bad behavior is disciplined immediately.

725571[/snapback]

No i didnt think you implied it. just clarifying the situation. No harm. When eventually i get a house and a dog of my own, it'll be the same deal. i get so frustrated over people with dogs that do what they please, come when they want to, and take off throughout the neighborhood when they are off a leash. Our dog has broken off her leash a couple of times, and the farthest she has gone was the neighbors yard to play with their dog. The other times we found her sleeping in her house, and sitting on the front stoop waiting for us.

No it doesn't.  They also happen to be the most popular dogs among gangmembers and other people who tend to gravitate toward illegal activities.  Much like the hulabaloo around guns, it's overblown BS meant to get the uninformed or unintelligent up in arms about something that isn't really a problem. 

What do I mean?  There were 304 dog bite fatalities in the period you site.  There were nearly 2000 deaths due to lightning strikes during the same period.  That's right, you're over 6 times more likely to die at the hands of lightning than be killed by a dog and that goes up by double for a Rottweiler or Pitbull.  That says nothing of the over 30,000 automobile deaths a YEAR in this country.

There was a story today about a greyhound that opened up their owner's kid for 120+ stitches.  Time to start whacking them as a whole, I guess.  :)

725253[/snapback]

Thank You

Exactly right (well, except for the backhanding across the garage thingy). They will always try to test you, but you need to show them they you are the boss and you set the rules. You need to do this with every aspect of your dog's training. It even gets down to making sure that when you open a door to go out, that the dog never goes out the door first. This is a sign of domination. You need to make sure the dog sits and waits for you to go out the door and also waits for a command from you to follow you out the door. It sounds stupid and insignificant, but it goes a long way towards having a well-behaved pooch.

725559[/snapback]

Hey are we still talking about dogs, or did the conversation turn to wives when I wasn't looking? :)

What is it with people and not actually reading the articles they use to "back up" their claims. Here are snippets from your article:

in BIG BOLD LETTERS in the FIRST PARAGRAPH:

But let's just ignore that and ban the breeds.

Looks like your 50% number is not correct.

I won't even get into the issue that the point of view of the article is advocating the exact opposite of what you want and specifically rips your POV. The irony of that alone is hilarious.  :lol:

725263[/snapback]

I realize what the point of the article was. Still, at 38pct of fatal attacks by only 2 breeds of dogs(out of hundreds of different ones) is overwhelming to me.

I realize what the point of the article was. Still, at 38pct of fatal attacks by only 2 breeds of dogs(out of hundreds of different ones) is overwhelming to me.

725848[/snapback]

...but 100% of all humans are involved. Quite damning and it is far more overwhelming than the miniscule 38% quoted in the article (which is still pretty funny, considering that the article is blasting the very same thing you are advocating :lol: ).

Ban all humans and you alleviate the problem. It is just that simple.

...but 100% of all humans are involved. Quite damning and it is far more overwhelming than the miniscule 38% quoted in the article (which is still pretty funny, considering that the article is blasting the very same thing you are advocating  :lol: ).

725863[/snapback]

More importantly, I think you'll find that all the dogs involved in attacks are also fed a strictly meat diet. If we feed them strictly vegetables - as PETA suggests - we should reduce the incidence of dog attacks to almost 0 - as PETA suggests.

More importantly, I think you'll find that all the dogs involved in attacks are also fed a strictly meat diet.  If we feed them strictly vegetables - as PETA suggests - we should reduce the incidence of dog attacks to almost 0 - as PETA suggests.

725878[/snapback]

I think it has the same effect on humans...It eliminates your will to live. How can people go without ever eating a nice porterhouse!

...but 100% of all humans are involved. Quite damning and it is far more overwhelming than the miniscule 38% quoted in the article (which is still pretty funny, considering that the article is blasting the very same thing you are advocating  :o ).

725863[/snapback]

Im just looking at teh numbers of the article. Again, Im aware of the point of view of the piece. To me , its funny that they would try to make a point when 38pct is an astounding number to try to justify. I guess im not going to win this one :lol:

...but 100% of all humans are involved. Quite damning and it is far more overwhelming than the miniscule 38% quoted in the article (which is still pretty funny, considering that the article is blasting the very same thing you are advocating  :lol: ).

725863[/snapback]

You know, Ken, I was just thinking about your idea. If we ban humans, not only will there be no more humans killed by dogs, but global warming will stop, crime will stop, there will be peace in the Middle East...there's no end to the benefits! Why didn't we think of this sooner?

You know, Ken, I was just thinking about your idea.  If we ban humans, not only will there be no more humans killed by dogs, but global warming will stop, crime will stop, there will be peace in the Middle East...there's no end to the benefits!  Why didn't we think of this sooner?

725933[/snapback]

And Chicago democrats will rule the world, since if everyone's dead they'll be the only ones getting votes...

You know, Ken, I was just thinking about your idea.  If we ban humans, not only will there be no more humans killed by dogs, but global warming will stop, crime will stop, there will be peace in the Middle East...there's no end to the benefits!

725933[/snapback]

Exactly. If you banned two dog breeds, do you think that you would gain all of those benefits? I think not.

You know, Ken, I was just thinking about your idea.  If we ban humans, not only will there be no more humans killed by dogs, but global warming will stop, crime will stop, there will be peace in the Middle East...there's no end to the benefits!  Why didn't we think of this sooner?

725933[/snapback]

I think mother Earth will ban humans once she gets pissed off enough...