South Park nominated for Emmy

/dev/null

one of the most cutting edge tv episodes ever. great stuff. i rank it right above jesse spano's caffeine pill addiction on saved by the bell, rose's HIV scare on golden girls and dylan's girlfriend dying on 90210.

Holy crap, I thought this Scientology nonsense was some sort of new psychological training or theory.....I just read about the story of "xenu" and this "thetan" business.....these people are more fugged up than I gave them credit for!

Is there really a better show then South Park right now? I know a lot of people just dismiss it as gross out humor and fart jokes (Like it used to be) but those are typically people who don't watch it.

It is some of the smartest, politically savvy social commentary out there. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are brilliant.

where did you read this stuff, i have been looking for a good site to see what they are all about

Holy crap, I thought this Scientology nonsense was some sort of new psychological training or theory.....I just read about the story of "xenu" and this "thetan" business.....these people are more fugged up than I gave them credit for!

719557[/snapback]

where did you read this stuff, i have been looking for a good site to see what they are all about

719676[/snapback]

There's a whole lot of info at that wikipedia.com site.....is there NOTHING that site doesn't tell you about?? It's becoming my go-to site more than google lately.

My favorite part was where some galactic ruler (i.e. an alien) who was being persecuted decided to transport billions of people (apparently via "jets" that just happen to look similar to a DC-8) to the planet "now known as earth" to be executed. He lined them up all around the base of various volcanos and then dropped H-bombs into each one (I feel ridiculous just talking about this). Apparently this mass murdering caused all these peoples' souls to fly up into the air, looking for a place to go. These wayward souls were called "thetans". Apparently the various thetans latched on to the remaining living, which were somehow passed on from then until now (I think this happened like 75 BILLION years ago according to L.Ron), and serve as the source of mankind's problems. Apparently that's at least part of the Scientologists "cleansing" is when they realize they have these thetan things corrupting them, so they go through some purification process and they are magically better.

Apparently the cleansing process is so thorough that you have the overwhelming urge to jump around on a couch like an idiot on live television ;)

Oh yeah, and by the way, what cult would be complete w/out some particular belief that Catholics are evil? Apparently they believe that the Catholic Church was created to "distract" people from discovering the "real" truth.

The funny thing is that it may sound like I'm making a lot of this up to mock their beliefs....but honest to God, this is apparently LITERALLY what they believe. Aside from my couch jumping comment, the rest is apparently legit.

:D

one of the most cutting edge tv episodes ever.  great stuff.  i rank it right above jesse spano's caffeine pill addiction on saved by the bell, rose's HIV scare on golden girls and dylan's girlfriend dying on 90210.

719464[/snapback]

Edith almost gets raped, Zack Driving drunk and crashing Lisa's car, Spike gets pregnant on Degrassi, & Gordon Jump molests Dudley on Diff't Strokes

That's also the episode that made Chef (Isaac Hayes) quit.

719493[/snapback]

Interesting...from Wikipedia:

Chef was notably absent from the episode, perhaps because Isaac Hayes (who provided Chef's voice) is a Scientologist. Hayes, who had recently suffered a minor stroke, would later leave the show altogether citing South Park's "religious intolerance" as a main factor. There is speculation that Scientology leaders pressured Hayes to quit. In an interview for The A.V. Club on January 4, 2006, Hayes was asked about the episode. Hayes said that he told Parker and Stone, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that sh--, you know? But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do. [Laughs]"[2] Parker and Stone's reasoning for not using Chef was because Hayes was unavailable at the time (he wasn't in many of the episodes in the second half of the season), by some reports due to poor health. However, Parker and Stone did clear this episode with Hayes, according to an interview with Parker.

one of the most cutting edge tv episodes ever.  great stuff.  i rank it right above jesse spano's caffeine pill addiction on saved by the bell, rose's HIV scare on golden girls and dylan's girlfriend dying on 90210.

719464[/snapback]

Did that actually happen? The chances of getting HIV for an elderly heterosexual woman who doesn't use needle drugs or have sex with prostitutes are basically zero.

I'm pretty sure I remember all of the Saved by the Bell "message" episodes though. And the episode of Family Matters where Urkel and the gang learn some hard hitting lessons about racism.

I know a lot of people just dismiss it as gross out humor and fart jokes (Like it used to be) but those are typically people who don't watch it.

719568[/snapback]

you mean like...

719464[/snapback]

:D

I'm pretty sure I remember all of the Saved by the Bell "message" episodes though.  And the episode of Family Matters where Urkel and the gang learn some hard hitting lessons about racism.

719959[/snapback]

The Fresh Prince racism episode was so much better than the Family Matters racism episode. :D

Oh, and speaking of "message" episodes, who could ever forget the Fresh Prince two parter where Will got shot and Carlton responded by buying a gun.

The Fresh Prince racism episode was so much better than the Family Matters racism episode. :D

Oh, and speaking of "message" episodes, who could ever forget the Fresh Prince two parter where Will got shot and Carlton responded by buying a gun.

719992[/snapback]

Was it one of the three models you're allowed to buy in California?

I agree on the South Park front. The fart jokes got old years ago, but the infusion of all of the political satire and whatnot really makes it a great show still.

Did that actually happen?  The chances of getting HIV for an elderly heterosexual woman who doesn't use needle drugs or have sex with prostitutes are basically zero.

I'm pretty sure I remember all of the Saved by the Bell "message" episodes though.  And the episode of Family Matters where Urkel and the gang learn some hard hitting lessons about racism.

719959[/snapback]

yes. Rose got a blood transfusion from a potentially contaminated source. She then had to have an HIV test, which turned out negative. Say what you want, but the golden girls was pretty cutting edge for its time. It dealt with sexual promescuity, gay issues, and stuff like that which was very taboo for its time. (no, i don't have a season pass... i did watch it as a kid with my great grandmother, and i believe i've seen every episode)

As for south park, i absolutely love the show in its current form of social commentary. I also love how comedy central plays the episodes. I usually have 3 or 4 shows on my tivo every night, and they usually have a social commentary episode, ridiculous episode (like the ones with aliens), fart jokes/bathroom humor episodes...