Nall Most Impressive?

Scout.com is a reputible site..but any article is only as good as where the info comes from... Still, thought this was interesting

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=126&p=2&c=544132

Buffalo Bills – As scout.com reported earlier this year, the Minnesota Vikings were very interested in signing free agent QB Craig Nall. The problem was they wouldn’t give him any assurances that he would be given a chance to compete for the starting job which is why he signed with the Bills. Not only is he being given a chance to compete for the job, those who watched their off-season practices noted that Nall was the most impressive of the three competing for the No.1 spot. Nall showed the ability to get the ball in to tight areas and on time which is an important facet of offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild’s scheme.

Another player to watch on the offensive side of the ball is TE Robert Royal who was essentially used as a blocker previously with the Washington Redskins. Royal, a former fifth-round pick in 2002, had a very good week of Senior Bowl practices so it was a surprise to some that he wasn’t used more as a receiver in the first four years of his career (29 catches). With the club lacking a physical presence at the receiver position, Royal’s role with his new team could certainly increase.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout.com is a reputible site..but any article is only as good as where the info comes from... Still, thought this was interesting

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=126&p=2&c=544132

Buffalo Bills – As scout.com reported earlier this year, the Minnesota Vikings were very interested in signing free agent QB Craig Nall. The problem was they wouldn’t give him any assurances that he would be given a chance to compete for the starting job which is why he signed with the Bills. Not only is he being given a chance to compete for the job, those who watched their off-season practices noted that Nall was the most impressive of the three competing for the No.1 spot. Nall showed the ability to get the ball in to tight areas and on time which is an important facet of offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild’s scheme.

Another player to watch on the offensive side of the ball is TE Robert Royal who was essentially used as a blocker previously with the Washington Redskins. Royal, a former fifth-round pick in 2002, had a very good week of Senior Bowl practices so it was a surprise to some that he wasn’t used more as a receiver in the first four years of his career (29 catches). With the club lacking a physical presence at the receiver position, Royal’s role with his new team could certainly increase.

717770[/snapback]

Great news! The more competition the better. I still think JP will win the comp, but it can't hurt if all 3 QB's are playing good ball.

Any article posted here which does not wash the balls of JP = They don't know what they are talking about.

717795[/snapback]

...Maybe, but Chris Brown is the guy that oversees all the minicamp practices, OTA's, etc, and I remember him saying that Nall looked confused most of the time and that his arm strengh rivals Holcomb's. I'd dig up the link but I only have a short lunch break. Ultimately, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Holcomb is still better than both of them, as he is the only one to this point who has achieved any kind of success–and I use that term loosely–in the NFL.. But we'll start getting a better idea when training camp kicks off. Until then, I'm done speculating on the issue.

I want this guy to be our QB.

1. Great with the press.

2. Experienced (played with FARVE!)

3. Can we really trust JP?

4. Great arm (better than JP, I think)

5. More likely to lead this team.

717811[/snapback]

More like "experienced - sat on the bench while Favre played". Sitting on the bench while a future hall of famer plays does NOT equal playing time.

As for the article itself...I can't even begin to recall all the times a guy was impressive in mini-camp and couldn't cut it on the field. I don't give a sh-- who's QB, as long as they put the best guy for the team on the field. But I HIGHLY doubt an early July article from Scout.com is going to factor in to that.

I'm behind JP 100%, but there's really no "downside" to Nall performing well in camp. I'd much rather have them all playing well as oppsed to only one of them.

Any article posted here which does not wash the balls of JP = They don't know what they are talking about.

717795[/snapback]

:o:o:o

And he has done so much to deserve such reverence. I know, give him a chance.....it is only his 3rd year, and he only cost us a 1st, 2nd, and a 5th! :o

Your pessimism is pretty refreshing.

717838[/snapback]

If I could find another way to approach this season I would do so. Sorry to go against the rah-rah grain.

Seriously, the thought of Nall possibly being a good quarterback is great friggin news, because I have not seen one on the Bills as of late.

What really is refreshing is being able to talk football with a guy like you on TBD! :o

Yes, but with Nall on their team, the Packers'  2004 late 1st round selction of Rodgers gives pause.

717857[/snapback]

Yes s.i.c. but teams are intrigued by qbs at draft time. Akili Smith? :o

Look at what TD gave up for Losman. It was simply stupid, or at the very least so it appears. I can't see where Nall would ever get a chance playing behind Favre. Rodgers fell unexpectedly deep in the draft and they grabbed him.

Looking at GB as of late, a stupid mistake wouldn't be such a shock, no? :o

Look at what TD gave up for Losman. It was simply stupid, or at the very least so it appears.

Bill, objectively speaking, do you really think JP has had enough time to show whether or not he's going to be a successful NFL QB??

Yes, but with Nall on their team, the Packers'  2004 late 1st round selction of Rodgers gives pause.

717857[/snapback]

I don't know, the Packers have made a habit of letting decent back-up QB's slip through their fingers, for as long as Favre has been there...I am not saying I am sure that Nall is a diamond in the rough...from what limited time I saw him play (last years preseason- not much to go on, I know) I kind of liked what I saw. He seemed to have a prescence on the field, for the Packers, that the Bills have not had at that position for a long time. Of course, I thought the same thing about Travis Brown! :o

All I am saying is, having Nall on the roster, makes this comging preseason a little more interesting, to me, personally. I will count myself as one not very optimistic about this coming season, but I know I will watch every second of every Bills game, no matter how bad they look. Decades of bad Bills football have trained me to look for the pearls among the swine!

the Packers have made a habit of letting decent back-up QB's slip through their fingers, for as long as Favre has been there...

717867[/snapback]

I don't know that they let them do that, it was more like they weren't going to pay millions to a back-up when Favre never misses a game. Guys like Hasselbeck, Brunell, and Brooks were a luxury they really couldn't afford. They COULD have afforded Nall, and with Favre getting close to the end it would make the signing a rationa one, but they chose not to. Hell, I hope Nall is the next Jim Kelly....I just want someone to solidify the damn qb spot for this team. I still think JP is the guy who will do that, but as long as one of them steps up then that's all that matters.

My question is: How does Scout.com know Nall is impressive? Do they have daily access to OTA's? Do they have any press access to the Billls at all? Or are they getting their information second-hand,, from guys posting at BillsFanZone, or worse yet, from Nall's agent.

If they don't have a correspondant seeing the Bills every day, then I don't take what they write seriously. Especially when they contradict what we've been hearing about Nall in camp all off-season.

PTR

If they don't have a correspondant seeing the Bills every day, then I don't take what they write seriously.  Especially when they contradict what we've been hearing about Nall in camp all off-season.

PTR

717874[/snapback]

Not being argumentitive, but what have you heard about Nall? All I have heard is that initially, Holcomb looked best, Losman came on, and Nall looked very impressive in the last OTA. The slant of the things I read about Nall, is that he had the largest learning curve of the three, because he had run nothing but a strict West Coast style offense, until coming to Buffalo.

From what I have read, Losman has seemingly moved to the front of the pack (although I have heard that before!), but Nall was starting to look a bit more comfortable.