Culpepper

His record is 22-17 before November as a starter and after November 1 he is 17-25 as a starter. Note he missed the last 4 games after November 1 in 01 and all the games after November 1 last year. 39-42 overall as a starter.

Very Bledsonian, those numbers.

I for one can't wait to face the fish. They also did NOTHING to improve their rock-bottom OL. Their week 1 game is as difficult as ours.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Bledsonian, those numbers.

I for one can't wait to face the fish. They also did NOTHING to improve their rock-bottom OL. Their week 1 game is as difficult as ours.

718777[/snapback]

What do you mean they did nothing???

Didn't the signing of Bennie "Pro Bowl" Anderson improve the O-line (he is actually seen as an improvement over what they had) Buffalo's line atleast got somewhat better by Addition by Subtraction with that move

I can't believe that phins fans are actually looking at his signing as a good move (kind of reminds of us when the Bills did the same thing), and a dumb one by Buffalo, but this is from fans of the same team that signed MM as there offensive co-ordinator after getting to face us twice a year :lol:

uh......never mind, I almost forgot......

Actually, the Fins O-Line isn't that bad......

Vernon Carey will be in his second year under Hudson Houck's guidance......

L.J. Shelton was signed to to play the opposite side.....

And laugh all you want but, I believe Bennie can be a VERY productive run blocker for Ronnie Brown.....especially with one of the better blocking fullbacks in the NFL leading the way (Fred Beasley).

About the O-line:

Stats can be misleading BUT....Losman was sacked 26 times in 9 games.

Frerotte was sacked 26 times in 15 games.

but....that stat doesn't take into account how much more nimble 40 year old Gus is compared to the Water Boy....

Ricky and Ronnie both averaged 4.4 yds/carry, with the the so-called crappy O-Line. But....that doesn't take into account how soooo many teams couldn't stack 8 in the box because Gus was gonna burn them with his cannon of a noodle arm....

but....that stat doesn't take into account how much more nimble 40 year old Gus is compared to the Water Boy....

718820[/snapback]

I don't have the stats, but I'm GUESSING that a veteran QB's will typically be sacked less often than first year starters. Well, unless we're talking about Drew Bledsoe, but that's another story. The point is that I think if our line stayed exactly the same in terms of quality (or lack thereof), you'd see JPs sacks go down over the next few years as he becomes a better decision maker.

yeah pretty much

Culpeppers 2004 #'s with moss

weeks moss played-  1, 2,3,5,6,12,13,14,15,16,17

3538 yards  25 tds  8 ints

broken down that's 326 yards per game 2.3tds per game and just under a pick per game

Culpeppers 2004 #'s without moss

weeks moss didnt play- 7,8,9,10,11

1179 yards 9 tds 4 ints

thats

236 yards per game 1.8 tds per game and 1.25 picks per game

Miami has some formidble weapons that will definitly be productive including chambers, mcmichael, ronnie brown, and it could be argued that moss was a non factor in several games due to being injured however even an injured randy moss still has to be taken into consideration, but here's to hoping he never regains that form

717476[/snapback]

The guy is a very good QB. period. He needs WR's like all QB's and he has some good weapons in Miami. I suspect he will be a pro bowler whenever healthy, unfoortunately.

And laugh all you want but, I believe Bennie can be a VERY productive run blocker for Ronnie Brown.....especially with one of the better blocking fullbacks in the NFL leading the way (Fred Beasley).

About the O-line:

Ricky and Ronnie both averaged 4.4 yds/carry, with the  the so-called crappy O-Line.  But....that doesn't take into account how soooo many teams couldn't stack 8 in the box because Gus was gonna burn them with his cannon of a noodle arm....

718820[/snapback]

I think it's kinda of funny that Culpepper once again is in a situation where Linehan just left. I actually like Culpepper (though he screwed my fantasy team) but we all saw how he struggle without SL last year.

SL>>>>>> Mike Mularkey (though Beasley will probably lead the league in catches :lol: )

I said it prior to last season, without Moss Culpepper will suck. He is (or was) the king of "throw the ball up to an area and let Moss run to it and out jump and get the thing" passes. Make him survey the field, make him throw tight passes, make him put the ball on a spot; and he'll look very ordinary. Very ordinary, indeed, he looked.

I know the fins have Chambers, but I'm not ready to annoint him the next Moss, nor am I ready to concede Culpepper can come back from that knee injury. So, until I see something on the field to convince me of an alternate reality, I say Culpepper in Miami was a great move.. for someone that wants to see the fins crash and burn.

I said it prior to last season, without Moss Culpepper will suck.  He is (or was) the king of "throw the ball up to an area and let Moss run to it and out jump and get the thing" passes.  Make him survey the field, make him throw tight passes, make him put the ball on a spot; and he'll look very ordinary.  Very ordinary, indeed, he looked. 

I know the fins have Chambers, but I'm not ready to annoint him the next Moss, nor am I ready to concede Culpepper can come back from that knee injury.  So, until I see something on the field to convince me of an alternate reality, I say Culpepper in Miami was a great move.. for someone that wants to see the fins crash and burn.

LOL! Yeah, Chambers is good, but he's no Moss (who is?) and is largely inconsistent. And with Mularkey as OC, McMichael will essentially be removed from the passing game, while as CB97 facetiously referred to, (the soon to be 32 and hasn't played a full season since 2003) Fred Beasley will likely get a lot of the passes that WOULD have gone to him.

"So he fits in really well with Miami, Starts out strong and then fizzle out late in the year."

Yeah....those fish really fizzled out last year....only won the last 6 in a row...

And the schedule makers have been nice enough to give the fish only 1 cold weather game this year.... :lol:

718268[/snapback]

You can't expect Saban to uphold tradition in his first year.

Give him time.

You'll be sucking hind December tit in no time.

"So he fits in really well with Miami, Starts out strong and then fizzle out late in the year."

Yeah....those fish really fizzled out last year....only won the last 6 in a row...

And the schedule makers have been nice enough to give the fish only 1 cold weather game this year.... :lol:

Will the last 6 games THIS year be against 4 teams with a combined 17-47 record and a team playing its backups for all but the 1st-2 series of the game?

About the O-line:

Ricky and Ronnie both averaged 4.4 yds/carry, with the  the so-called crappy O-Line.  But....that doesn't take into account how soooo many teams couldn't stack 8 in the box because Gus was gonna burn them with his cannon of a noodle arm....

718820[/snapback]

The fish acquired Malarkey, Culpepper and Beenie Anderson in order to execute a new top secret play devised by coach Malarkey. A play so innovative that it was the deciding factor when he was hired by Nick Saban.

Here is how it works......

Dante lines up under center with Bennie at left or right guard. Dante goes in motion and shifts to the tight end spot. He's the only NFL quarterback with the size and strength to operate as a tight end on a running play. As Dante shifts to tight end, Bennie shifts into the backfield with both Sammy Morris and Ronnie Brown (backs now in a wishbone formation with Bennie in the lead position). Next the center snaps directly to Bennie while both Sammy and Ronnie (both of which are wearing matching Ricky Williams jersey's) run to the hole vacated by Bennie when he shifted to the backfield. Bennie receives the ball into his belly and is able to hold and conceal the ball without using his hands. He sweeps to the side where Dante is lined up. The defense is fooled on several counts. 1st they key on the backs (Ricky and Ricky). 2nd, with more teams running the Tampa 2 defense, the defensive line is coached to run through the huge gap left by Bennie when he shifted. 3rd the defense will key on the 2 backs trying to figure out which is the real Ricky. Lastly they never expect Bennie to get the ball and can't see the ball. Bennie running slowly behind the block by Culpepper draws no attention from the defense and walks into the end zone where he is greated by his teamates who have already arrived. While they huddle briefly for a touchdown celebration, one of the Ricky's removes the ball from Bennie's belly and spikes it. The defense thinks that the touchdown was scored by Ricky Williams, but they aren't sure which one. This allows the Dolphins to run the play over and over in several games since opposing defenses never figure out that Bennie is the ball carrier. Other benefits of the play are that they can run a lot of time off the clock based on Bennie's 40-time, especially if they run the play from deep in their own end.

I don't think the play will work, but the Dolphins have invested in the coaching and personnel to make it happen. Mularkey discovered Bennie's ability to execute this during the last week of practice last season. Story is that with the offense lined up in the shotgun, Bennie jumped offsides and began to pull to his right when the ball was snapped and it became trapped in his abdomen. He made it through the end zone and into the locker room before the ball was discovered. Mularkey may have planned to use the play this year as th Bill's coach but never got the opportunity. Marv and Dick considered the play but don't believe in "trickery". This prompted them to cut Bennie who was imediately signed by the fish.

The fish acquired Malarkey, Culpepper and Beenie Anderson in order to execute a new top secret play devised by coach Malarkey.  A play so innovative that it was the deciding factor when he was hired by Nick Saban. 

Here is how it works......

Dante lines up under center with Bennie at left or right guard.  Dante goes in motion and shifts to the tight end spot.  He's the only NFL quarterback with the size and strength to operate as a tight end on a running play.  As Dante shifts to tight end, Bennie shifts into the backfield with both Sammy Morris and Ronnie Brown (backs now in a wishbone formation with Bennie in the lead position).  Next the center snaps directly to Bennie while both Sammy and Ronnie (both of which are wearing matching Ricky Williams jersey's) run to the hole vacated by Bennie when he shifted to the backfield.    Bennie receives the ball into his belly and is able to hold and conceal the ball without using his hands.  He sweeps to the side where Dante is lined up.  The defense is fooled on several counts.  1st they key on the backs (Ricky and Ricky).  2nd, with more teams running the Tampa 2 defense, the defensive line is coached to run through the huge gap left by Bennie when he shifted.  3rd the defense will key on the 2 backs trying to figure out which is the real Ricky.  Lastly they never expect Bennie to get the ball and can't see the ball.  Bennie running slowly behind the block by Culpepper draws no attention from the defense and walks into the end zone where he is greated by his teamates who have already arrived.  While they huddle briefly for a touchdown celebration, one of the Ricky's removes the ball from Bennie's belly and spikes it.  The defense thinks that the touchdown was scored by Ricky Williams, but they aren't sure which one.  This allows the Dolphins to run the play over and over in several games since opposing defenses never figure out that Bennie is the ball carrier.  Other benefits of the play are that they can run a lot of time off the clock based on Bennie's 40-time, especially if they run the play from deep in their own end. 

I don't think the play will work, but the Dolphins have invested in the coaching and personnel to make it happen.  Mularkey discovered Bennie's ability to execute this during the last week of practice last season.  Story is that with the offense lined up in the shotgun, Bennie jumped offsides and began to pull to his right when the ball was snapped and it became trapped in his abdomen.  He made it through the end zone and into the locker room before the ball was discovered.  Mularkey may have planned to use the play this year as th Bill's coach  but never got the opportunity.  Marv and Dick considered the play but don't believe in "trickery".  This prompted them to cut Bennie who was imediately signed by the fish.

718974[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

I said it prior to last season, without Moss Culpepper will suck. He is (or was) the king of "throw the ball up to an area and let Moss run to it and out jump and get the thing" passes. Make him survey the field, make him throw tight passes, make him put the ball on a spot; and he'll look very ordinary.  Very ordinary, indeed, he looked.

I know the fins have Chambers, but I'm not ready to annoint him the next Moss, nor am I ready to concede Culpepper can come back from that knee injury.  So, until I see something on the field to convince me of an alternate reality, I say Culpepper in Miami was a great move.. for someone that wants to see the fins crash and burn.

718925[/snapback]

Actually.....Daunte's career short to mid range passes shows he has a completion percentage of 70%.....with an overall completion percentage of 64%.

And I think he is the all time NCAA D-1 completion percentage leader, or was when he was drafted.

He's pretty good at "surveying the field" and making "tight passes"...."putting the ball on a spot", ....... :lol:

Actually.....Daunte's career short to mid range passes shows he has a completion percentage of 70%.....with an overall completion percentage of 64%.

And I think he is the all time NCAA D-1 completion percentage leader, or was when he was drafted.

He's pretty good at "surveying the field" and making "tight passes"...."putting the ball on a spot", ....... :lol:

718997[/snapback]

You should talk to some Vikings fans - I think they may disagree with you. :lol:

He's pretty good at "surveying the field" and making "tight passes"...."putting the ball on a spot", ....... :P

718997[/snapback]

Most all veteran QBs have good completion percentages of short to mid range passes. As has been discussed extensively here, Holcomb has a great completion percentage in those situations, but would you consider him elite? I doubt it. So, having a great completion percentage, especially in short to mid-range passes, says little about a QBs greatness.

I was pretty good at alot of things in college too. But, college is college and that was years ago. Who cares?

So, if he's such a great QB, why was he struggling so mightly in all areas of the game early last season?

Most all veteran QBs have good completion percentages of short to mid range passes.  As has been discussed extensively here, Holcomb has a great completion percentage in those situations, but would you consider him elite?  I doubt it.  So, having a great completion percentage, especially in short to mid-range passes, says little about a QBs greatness.

I was pretty good at alot of things in college too.  But, college is college and that was years ago.  Who cares?

So, if he's such a great QB, why was he struggling so mightly in all areas of the game early last season?

719265[/snapback]

Please take 10 minutes out of your life and read the manifesto.....read me

Though many have commented on how one can manipulate stats and make anyone look good for the sake of one's argument, there are some undisputable facts in the manifesto that would CLEARLY put Daunte Culpepper in the ELITE class of NFL present and past quarterbacks.....which is back on topic by the way!

Please take 10 minutes out of your life and read the manifesto.....read me

Though many have commented on how one can manipulate stats and make anyone look good for the sake of one's argument, there are some undisputable facts in the manifesto  that would CLEARLY put Daunte Culpepper in the ELITE class of NFL present and past quarterbacks.....which is back on topic by the way!

719400[/snapback]

thanks - good post. i agree; he's an excellent qb, and i've thought that for years. the loss of birk last year was huge, by the way. he should do well in miami, unfortunately.

thanks - good post. i agree; he's an excellent qb, and i've thought that for years. the loss of birk last year was huge, by the way. he should do well in miami, unfortunately.

719423[/snapback]

Why? Matt Birk plays in Miami?