Offensive Line

bigtex

Is Gandy the answer for left tackle, or do we see Peters solidifying his role as the best offensive lineman that we have on the team. He is athletic and improves the rushing stats of the Bills everytime that he is on the field. Are these young guys going to help out the line?

Bang for buck, we dont have much money invested in the Bills OL, I wonder if thats a problem?

Gandy is the answer...for right now. Long term I don't know since while he doesn't seem to be a player capable of being a top-caliber LT, one never knows. But he'll be better with better LG play next to him and a better offensive gameplan. Peters should only continue to get better and looks like the future at LT, unless Gandy as becomes a top-flight LT.

I think it is pretty clear that the likely starters on OL this year (Gandy, Reyes, Fowler, Villarial and Peters) are better than the starters last year (If someone wants to advocate that the MW, Anderson gang was better feel free to speak up for them).

The question is whether this OL has the depth when guys go down to injury or if one of the newbies pulls an Anderson. This is unlikely as Reyes wasa solid starter fpr Barolina at RG and the well-regarded youngster they wanted to unseat him could not do so until Reyes became an FA and there was no way they were going to pay him starter money even though he is a proven NFL starter quality OL player.

Fowler also filled in well from all I here when Birk got injured in front of him, but when this multiple Pro Bowler came back and Fowler was ab FA, there was no way they were going to pay him the starter money the market was likely to give him. He has never started 16 so there are questions about Fowler, but its not talent kist that he has never done it before.

I like Preston but he is backing up both Fowler and Villarial who I think is unlikely to last all season.

It hets pretty thin at back-up with wildcard Gibson probably best of this lot.

If we get lucky with injury I think we will be OK but I doubt we will.

Gandy is the answer...for right now.  Long term I don't know since while he doesn't seem to be a player capable of being a top-caliber LT, one never knows.  But he'll be better with better LG play next to him and a better offensive gameplan.  Peters should only continue to get better and looks like the future at LT, unless Gandy as becomes a top-flight LT.

715799[/snapback]

This is a point that gives me hope for the 2006 OL, that Gandy will not have to cover for Fat Bennie's shortcomings.

While Gandy is not a world-beater, I think he is an adequate LT solution for now.

I'm happy with the Reyes signing, and very happy to have Melvin Fowler at center.

This is a point that gives me hope for the 2006 OL, that Gandy will not have to cover for Fat Bennie's shortcomings.

While Gandy is not a world-beater, I think he is an adequate LT solution for now.

I'm happy with the Reyes signing, and very happy to have Melvin Fowler at center.

716279[/snapback]

I spent some time (not tons but some) watching Gandy specifically - in preseason and during the regular season. From what I saw, he was NOT the weak link in the line. He played adequately and, at times was quite good at keeping defenders out and occasionally was able to bull rush his opponent. I saw his strength to be better at the pass than the run.

To his right, Bennie was a disaster and Teague was not much better. Reyes sounds like he can at least hold his own which will be a huge step up from fat bennie. I am so glad to no longer see Trey being knocked back into the QB at the snap of the ball. Reports out of Minnesota was that Fowler was a huge surprise but the return of a pro bowl center from injury made him expendable. Their loss, our gain.

I have not been this hopeful about our O-Line in many years.

we'll see....

I spent some time (not tons but some) watching Gandy specifically - in preseason and during the regular season. From what I saw, he was NOT the weak link in the line. He played adequately and, at times was quite good at keeping defenders out and occasionally was able to bull rush his opponent. I saw his strength to be better at the pass than the run.

To his right, Bennie was a disaster and Teague was not much better. Reyes sounds like he can at least hold his own which will be  a huge step up from fat bennie. I am so glad to no longer see Trey being knocked back into the QB at the snap of the ball. Reports out of Minnesota was that Fowler was a huge surprise but the return of a pro bowl center from injury made him expendable. Their loss, our gain.

I can see where they wouldn't re-sign him after paying all that money to Hutch and getting Birk back, but I don't understand why they kept switching Fowler with Cory Withrow. That's a concern.

I think Peters and Gandy will switch spots but it wont happen until next year....

The thing is....if we had a competent LG sitting next to Gandy nobody would even want to move him.....I am hoping that Tuten Reyes can give us that kind of play.....we just haven't been able to find a decent left guard the last few years.

I actually like what the bills have done....instead of bringing in rooks (like everybody wanted...then watch our QB get pounded until he looks like throwkill) we brought in VETERAN GUYS.....

Watch how fast this line gels....this offense is going to be much better this year.

I think Gandy will be ok for the short term...I'm sure next offseason....whether through the draft of free angency the position will be upgraded (it would be great if Peters is able to slide over..just from a cap standpoint).I'm interested in seeing what Reyes and Fowler can bring to the table..on paper both seem like upgrades.

I think they stay where they are. I think Fairchild will eventually design an offense around Losman and the speedy receivers. If Gandy can just hold the fort on the left side, there can be a lot of roll outs and rolling pockets to the right, where right handed throwers obviously prefer. Peters' athleticism could make him very efficient in this kind of attack, and protect Losman when he may be a sitting duck on a standard offense like he was last year. Especially if the offense, like St. Louis', is designed to go downfield a lot and therefore takes a little longer for the plays to develop.

Peters is not there yet as a run blocker, but if he improves at the pace he is going, he will also be a little more valuable on the right side than the left in the run game.

(it would be great if Peters is able to slide over..just from a cap standpoint).

716494[/snapback]

I think, for this reason, there's little chance of Peters moving until (unless) he signs a new contract for RT money. If he's smart, he'd sign a contract with escalators if he plays a certain amount on the left side.

Of course my take is he's going to try to plow through the year and try the waters of free agency, delaying his reward, and earning a big payday. Next off-season he's in a better position to bargain with the Bills since they will certainly lose him (the following year) if they don't make a good-faith effort to reach a fair contract. For their part, I suspect the Bills will hold off negotiating until next year, to make sure Peters can keep improving and not get hurt before investing big money. This year is low risk for them and they still have a good bargaining position after the season.

If they have extra $ under the cap this year, I'd love to see the Bills lock Peters up for the next 5 years. Of course, I'd rather see them extend Fletcher or Clements.

I was just trying to confirm Peters is a RFA next year (I'm pretty sure) and found this RealFootball 365 Connor Byrne article from May 12th I hadn't seen. As usual, I'm struck by how close Connor's take is to the discussions here (which of you is Connor?).

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ills120506.html

With the 2006 season looming larger as each day passes, Peters is expected to start at right tackle. However, there's an outside shot that line coach Jim McNally will play the youngster at the most important position on the line, left tackle. The team currently has stable veteran Mike Gandy there, but McNally may opt to flip-flop the duo, moving Gandy to the right side and Peters to the left. However, that scenario will play out as the summer months wane.

Peters will be an RFA next year, and the Bills will likely tender him at the highest level of a 1st and 3rd. All the while, they'll be working on a contract extension, but Peters likely won't settle for anything less than LT money, and the Bills will have to play him at LT before then to determine whether he's WORTH LT money.

Peters will be an RFA next year, and the Bills will likely tender him at the highest level of a 1st and 3rd.  All the while, they'll be working on a contract extension, but Peters likely won't settle for anything less than LT money, and the Bills will have to play him at LT before then to determine whether he's WORTH LT money.

716537[/snapback]

So, either the Bills do pretty well this year and don't move Peters to avoid screwing up the line chemistry (in which case they lose or really pay Peters a risky contract in two years) or they do poorly this year and they move Peters to LT, so the silver lining is they can evaluate him and start the long-term line-building if he does well there.

Hmm, you're probably right. I was thinking they should sign him and move him, but if Peters really is cooly riding all the way to free agency someone will offer him big LT $$ if he stays healthy and gets any better.

I think the current o-line ties directly into Marv's plan. Gandy is going still a young guy. He is going to get his chance this year, and if he does well, Marv has a hell of a bargain at LT. If he doesn't prove himself to be a longterm starter, the Bills will have plenty of cap space to bring in a veteran at LT. It seems to me the Bills have determined which positions to test/develop this year, hopefully, with the intent to fill the positions that don't pan out with veterans next year.

Peters will be an RFA next year, and the Bills will likely tender him at the highest level of a 1st and 3rd.  All the while, they'll be working on a contract extension, but Peters likely won't settle for anything less than LT money, and the Bills will have to play him at LT before then to determine whether he's WORTH LT money.

716537[/snapback]

Understand that the Bills have quite a bit of leverage to get Peters to sign for RT money if the want to do that. Not only is he playing as an EFA (exclusive FA this year) and then will de facto be our propery playing as anRFA next year, but in theory we can tag him (which we will do as Seattle did with Jones and St. L did with Pace if he is in fact such a stud) which binds him to us (though at considerable but plannable cost) which means he will not be able to start with a new team until the 2009 season.

The Bills have two pieces of leverage:

1. Price will run the risk of potential injury which might deny hin a huge pay day everytime he walks on the field. One year of risk is one thing, but three years of risk is something else and there will be a powerful incentive for him to sign rather than simply play out his deal in the hop/expectation of getting more $ later.

2. A long-term RT contract will be less than a long-term LT contract but it would still be by far the biggest check Peters ever got. If the Bils put multi-millions on the table even if is "merely" RT multi-milliona it will be hard for Peters to walk away.

I think Gandy will be ok for the short term...I'm sure next offseason....whether through the draft of free angency the position will be upgraded (it would be great if Peters is able to slide over..just from a cap standpoint).I'm interested in seeing what Reyes and Fowler can bring to the table..on paper both seem like upgrades.

716494[/snapback]

If Peters does have a outstanding year this season, he is going to demand a

big Pay, especially if you are going to move him to the LT position......

I think it is pretty clear that the likely starters on OL this year (Gandy, Reyes, Fowler, Villarial and Peters) are better than the starters last year (If someone wants to advocate that the MW, Anderson gang was better feel free to speak up for them).

The question is whether this OL has the depth when guys go down to injury or if one of the newbies pulls an Anderson. This is unlikely as Reyes wasa solid starter fpr Barolina at RG and the well-regarded youngster they wanted to unseat him could not do so until Reyes became an FA and there was no way they were going to pay him starter money even though he is a proven NFL starter quality OL player.

Fowler also filled in well from all I here when Birk got injured in front of him, but when this multiple Pro Bowler came back and Fowler was ab FA, there was no way they were going to pay him the starter money the market was likely to give him.  He has never started 16 so there are questions about Fowler, but its not talent kist that he has never done it before.

I like Preston but he is backing up both Fowler and Villarial who I think is unlikely to last all season.

It hets pretty thin at back-up with wildcard Gibson probably best of this lot.

If we get lucky with injury I think we will be OK but I doubt we will.

715809[/snapback]

I agree that this group will be better than last year's but rather than depth, I think the most important question is whether or not they are good enough. Being better than last year would not be much of an accomplishment.

We simply can't have pressure on the QB coming from the interior of the line, edge pressure now and then we can deal with. Pressure up the middle however is a disaster. It leave the QB in a position where he can't step up to avoid the outside rush and it inhibits his vision. Edge pressure takes longer to get to the QB and when he steps up, the tackles can push the ends deep past the pocket. Edge pressure will still give the QB some time to make a play. When that pressure comes up the middle however, it is there faster and in the QB's face. If this group can do that, at least sow up the middle from guard to guard on pass plays, our QB's should have an extra second or so as compared to last year to find an open man.

I really have no idea if Fowler will be better than Teague but I can't imagine anyone being worse than Anderson and certainly, Peters is better than MW. He has the potential to be the best lineman on the team but for now that is still largely potential rather than actual. We'll see.

Color me cautiously optimistic.

Is Gandy the answer for left tackle, or do we see Peters solidifying his role as the best offensive lineman that we have on the team.  He is athletic and improves the rushing stats of the Bills everytime that he is on the field.  Are these young guys going to help out the line?

Bang for buck, we dont have much money invested in the Bills OL, I wonder if thats a problem?

715785[/snapback]

Money's not the problem otherwise Teague would have been great. Fowler's getting $2.5M/year to play what, center? If we don't get near top preformance from him, then it has nothing to do with money.

Talent is what we need. We don't have any. Fowler has been a backup. To have paid him that kind of money was retarded.

Anderson got more money than Gandy too. Look at what happened there.

Peters should simply learn how to play RT before they even consider trying him at LT. He doesn't even have a full season of OL starting under his belt. And annointing him the next House Ballard is premature to be sure.