Team USA Team USA Team USA

Cugalabanza

That was mutherfugging brilliant how they dealt with the horrible circumstances.

Holy crap, I'm drunk.

Some observations...

1. USA has balls after all and I'm proud

2. A curse on the nations of Italy (dives) and Uraguay (poor officiatinig) for a million years!

3. God bless Cherondolo, best player out there so far--incredible courage

That's it for now. I feel great about this performance. Now if we can just score a goal for ourselves, we might make it to the next round.

Great game by USA!  Man what a bunch of bull sh--!  I am proud of this team and applaud their efforts despite the fix.  Go USA!  Go Italy!  win-win- and we will be in!  USA!  USA!  USA!

710108[/snapback]

You're busting balls with the fix. Keep on cursing the team you need to win on Thursday to pass.

You're busting balls with the fix.  Keep on cursing the team you need to win on Thursday to pass.

710110[/snapback]

oh my bad- what I meant to say was the officiating was unbiased, objective and fair. :P Didnt I post go Italy?

oh my bad- what I meant to say was the officiating was unbiased, objective and fair.  :P  Didnt I post go Italy?

710113[/snapback]

oh lol

i didn't see it

It pisses me off that totti is not there. He didn't even touch the ball. Without him, we won't score many goals against big teams.

oh lol

i didn't see it

It pisses me off that totti is not there.  He didn't even touch the ball.  Without him, we won't score many goals against big teams.

710115[/snapback]

yeah I hope Italy pays off the refs one more game and threatens them with mafioso- whatever it takes :P

I agree with Totti too

yeah I hope Italy pays off the refs one more game and threatens them with mafioso- whatever it takes :P

I agree with Totti too

710116[/snapback]

One thing, if it wasn't for those two central backs, we'd be with 0 points. It's gotten to a point where they are so flawless that it's easy to notice other younger defenders mistakes.

You're busting balls with the fix.  Keep on cursing the team you need to win on Thursday to pass.

710110[/snapback]

You're right. I'm drunk. Go Italy! against the Chechs--dive your crazy asses off, do whatevever it takes. Whatever happens, I'm happy with the performance today. It would have been nice to take home the 3 points as deserved, but it's satisfying, nonetheless, to score the point with 9 men vs. Italy with 10.

You're right.  I'm drunk.  Go Italy! against the Chechs--dive your crazy asses off, do whatevever it takes.Whatever happens, I'm happy with the performance today.  It would have been nice to take home the 3 points as deserved, but it's satisfying, nonetheless, to score the point with 9 men vs. Italy with 10.

710118[/snapback]

I wouldn't say deserved. To be deserved, you need to score a goal :P . :P

I hope Lippi shows this tape over and over to those guys in the locker room and makes them realize how they need to improve. I remember at the beginning of the game, the Italy defence was around the ball confused, a USA player got his hands on it and Nesta slid on him and started yelling at everyone. From then on, I knew it was gonna be one of those games.

Fair enough--Thursday will tell the tale...

710129[/snapback]

My prediction for Thursday.

If Francesco Totti has a great breakout game (since he has been useless these last 2 games), Italy will beat the Czechs.

If not, the game will finish 1-1.

I hope Totti scores 3 goals on Thursday....

He has been 'absent' in the first two matches...

710155[/snapback]

He's not 100%. He doesn't win games on determination, he wins games because he is more talented than everyone else, but there are many ways to stop him. One reason why he will never be one of the all time greatest players.

Forza Italia against the Czech republic. Nevertheless, as much talent that Italy has, I always get truly pissed off watching them take the dives that they take when they are playing teams that I support. It was ridiculous yesterday just as it was ridiculous when they played the Dutch in Euro 2000.

How is it that a ref who previously was suspended for "irregularities" is refereeing a World Cup match. It reminds me of when the NCAA allowed Terry Porter to ref the UM v. OSU National Championship game.

Let's just hope that the US can beat Ghana (which will be a very tough match) and Italy can beat the Czech Republic. One of the things that worries me is that Italy may play for the tie if that is all it takes to get into the next round.

Forza Italia against the Czech republic.  Nevertheless, as much talent that Italy has, I always get truly pissed off watching them take the dives that they take when they are playing teams that I support.  It was ridiculous yesterday just as it was ridiculous when they played the Dutch in Euro 2000.

How is it that a ref who previously was suspended for "irregularities" is refereeing a World Cup match.  It reminds me of when the NCAA allowed Terry Porter to ref the UM v. OSU National Championship game.

Let's just hope that the US can beat Ghana (which will be a very tough match) and Italy can beat the Czech Republic.  One of the things that worries me is that Italy may play for the tie if that is all it takes to get into the next round.

710197[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised... but that kind of move could end up costing them. I have this bad feeling that Thursday will be the last time I will be watching calcio for a while.

One of the things that worries me is that Italy may play for the tie if that is all it takes to get into the next round.

710197[/snapback]

I cant see Italy playing for just the tie. If they win, they win the group and get the top seed. If they dont win the group, it means facing brazil in the next match. Playing for the tie would really cost them in the long run. I'd rather face australia than brazil.

I cant see Italy playing for just the tie. If they win, they win the group and get the top seed. If they dont win the group, it means facing brazil in the next match. Playing for the tie would really cost them in the long run. I'd rather face australia than brazil.

710212[/snapback]

It's not the fact that the Italians would play for the tie. It's if we're good enough to actually beat Czech Republic. From what I saw from yesterday's game, they desperately need a playmaker to step up.

A lot of the non-American reports seem to think the officiating was fair. If that's the case, it's another reason for me to not care about soccer.

I usually root for Italy when they're playing other teams cause that's my heritage but God, their diving was pathetic.

A lot of the non-American reports seem to think the officiating was fair.  If that's the case, it's another reason for me to not care about soccer.

I usually root for Italy when they're playing other teams cause that's my heritage but God, their diving was pathetic.

710355[/snapback]

Diving? The way the US was marking Toni, he wasn't able to move.

Can someone explain the two red cards to a non-soccer aficionado?  I saw the replays only.  It appeared that the American's played the ball in both cases.  Is that the contention?

710422[/snapback]

The first red card was to De Rossi, the Italian midfielder. He elbowed the guy in the face and even though it's not bad of an injury, it's not something that will be tolerated.

The second was by Mastroechmi, the American midfielder. He dove by the back towards the Italian player to his ankle with two feet. Two footed tackels are direct reds.

Eddie Pope was sent off for two yellow cards. A result of the tight marking by the US on Italy's best stryker, Luca Toni. The second wasn't deserved but the first was.

It's not the fact that the Italians would play for the tie.  It's if we're good enough to actually beat Czech Republic.  From what I saw from yesterday's game, they desperately need a playmaker to step up.

710231[/snapback]

The Azzurri advance with a tie. They'd finish second only if Ghana beats the USA.

So I could see Italy playing for a tie late in the game if the US has a lead on Ghana.

The Azzurri advance with a tie.  They'd finish second only if Ghana beats the USA. 

So I could see Italy playing for a tie late in the game if the US has a lead on Ghana.

710547[/snapback]

yes i see it now. 1-1, everybody's confident. All of a sudden, Nedved off the wing, pulls a run and manages to burn everyone. 2-1, and another embarrasing exit for the Italians. Then, I go into seclusion and wonder why I even bother to believe.

yes i see it now.  1-1, everybody's confident.  All of a sudden, Nedved off the wing, pulls a run and manages to burn everyone.  2-1, and another embarrasing exit for the Italians.  Then,  I go into seclusion and wonder why I even bother to believe.

710551[/snapback]

Probably not - if Italy loses by one goal, they would still:

- automatically advance if the USA wins by 3 or fewer,

- draw lots if USA wins by 4,

- be eliminated automatically only if USA wins by 5 or more.

Probably not - if Italy loses by one goal, they would still:

- automatically advance if the USA wins by 3 or fewer,

- draw lots if USA wins by 4,

- be eliminated automatically only if USA wins by 5 or more.

710646[/snapback]

If Ghana and Czech win, Italy are out. Ghana is a great team and have momentum on their side.

Seriously?

710755[/snapback]

Yes, seriously.

What strategy did Bruce Arena use against the Italians. He told them that he had two guys to shut down and they did that. Luca Toni and Francesco Totti. Totti already injured wasn't able to move, but Mastroechmi shut him down well. Toni on the other hand is 6'7 and very agile for a guy his size so they resorted to fouling him as well. As a result, can you blame a guy who barely has a chance to move not to fall on the floor and at least get a free kick out of it?

Yes, seriously. 

What strategy did Bruce Arena use against the Italians.  He told them that he had two guys to shut down and they did that.  Luca Toni and Francesco Totti.  Totti already injured wasn't able to move, but Mastroechmi shut him down well.  Toni on the other hand is 6'7 and very agile for a guy his size so they resorted to fouling him as well.  As a result, can you blame a guy who barely has a chance to move not to fall on the floor and at least get a free kick out of it?

710759[/snapback]

1. Lame rationalization

2. Were the other 10 guys also 6'7"?

1. Lame rationalization

2. Were the other 10 guys also 6'7"?

710760[/snapback]

Didn't the US player get a card for diving? :P

Anyways I won't debate with you, you don't even watch soccer outside of the world cup.

National Holiday in Ghana for the US Game....

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5705876

Luca Toni is 6'4, not 6'7.

This, and the previous last two world cup team for Italy are a disgrace to past Italian national teams that had an abundance of quality. I'm not saying they can't pick up their game, but they have not shown me anything, and I really don't expect them to.

Unable to score against 9 men USA team? Shame. Gritty peformance by the US. I thought Donovan played great in the deeper midfield role. Convey also was very good.

The Italians - no creativity, little skill, little imagination - a huge dissapointment. Will be an interesting game Ghana vs. USA.

Thus far, the teams that look like they came to play -

1) Arg

2) Spain

3) Germans (not convinced they have enough talent)

4) Ghana

Meazza,

I'm sure you've seen this...

Secret Italian Training Video

seriously though, it happens at all levels - they must teach the italians how to dive at a very young age. From the Italian kid on my high school team diving left and right to the italian guys I play indoor against 15 years later, you see a team diving left and right and chances are they're italian.

National Holiday in Ghana for the US Game....

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5705876

Luca Toni is 6'4, not 6'7.

This, and the previous last two world cup team for Italy are a disgrace to past Italian national teams that had an abundance of quality. I'm not saying they can't pick up their game, but they have not shown me anything, and I really don't expect them to.

Unable to score against 9 men USA team? Shame. Gritty peformance by the US. I thought Donovan played great in the deeper midfield role. Convey also was very good.

The Italians - no creativity, little skill, little imagination - a huge dissapointment. Will be an interesting game Ghana vs. USA.

Thus far, the teams that look like they came to play -

1) Arg

2) Spain

3) Germans (not convinced they have enough talent)

4) Ghana

710847[/snapback]

We'll see what happens. I have myself set up for the worst. I have some bad memories of the team.